Fwd: Running in x/c ski tracks?

Old November 26th 03, 06:01 AM
Hank Garretson

Default Fwd: Running in x/c ski tracks?

The folowing was posted on the ultrarunning list:

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:41:18 EST
Subject: Running in x/c ski tracks?
To:
,

FWIW, I've found it's easier to run in snowmobile tracks than XC. They're
harder packed and my neighbors the sled drivers are harder to ****-off
than the
flighty, flaky, and friable XC skiers.

Mike

Lancaster, Calif.

Old November 26th 03, 06:01 AM
Hank Garretson

More from the ultra list

From: "Johnny Gooch"
To: "Lofton, Timothy" ,
'"
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:11:38 -0800
Sender:

The question I asked the Ranger at the Bemidji State Park when he threatened
to TICKET me for running on the "Groomed Trail" is how can they call it
"Cross Country Skiing" when the have to ski in these little ruts made by a
machine?
Seems a little Snooty to me.
"Sorry, I can't possibly ski here, someone has stepped on my ruts."
Johnny

Lancaster, Calif.

Old November 26th 03, 01:00 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Running, ugh. And the concept of running when there is good, skiable
snow on the ground is bizarre.

Running's got some things going for it -- cheap. Can be a good
workout. Can be done in a lot of places. But running when you could
be skiing? Wacko.

JT
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com
Old November 26th 03, 02:34 PM
Bob Larson

Cross posting from another group seems a little troll like, but
I can't resistist spouting a little about the runners
I saw out on the ski trails at Hyland Park yesterday.

I keep telling myself I am not there to enforce rules.
Why should I ruin my precious ski time getting ugly with some
moron who is out destroying the ski trail?
Hey, I run too, but I don't go running on
golf greens or across city rose gardens or other places
I'm not allowed too and where I might destroy
someone else's niche pleasure. If these runners want
a little nature, why not run on the paths that the city
maintains for them instead of ruinning the micro-thin snow
base we have on the ski trails?

So to preserve my own sanitity, I just "informed"
them as best I could without stopping to waste any extra
breath. These two bozos, 40-ish old men in running
gear, didn't seem to know that running on the ski trails
was not allowed, duh. I told them that it costs me
$40 to ski there this year, so if they plan to run there
they personally owe me a $40 refund. My plan was to
stop and collect if I ran across them again. The plan
only served to raise my bile and adreniline, so I skied
a little harder. I complained at the visitor's desk, but
the folks that work there are only really good at the
shrug-and-blank-stare response. They were simpathetic enough,
but didn't encourage me with thoughts of stepping up enforcement.

Once the snow base is ten inches or more, even the ski trails
will be difficult to run on. It's just these fragile, thin
snow base conditions that bring out the dim bulbs in
Nike's.

- Bob (New Balance runner)
Old November 27th 03, 11:37 AM
Primoz Jeroncic

Anders Lustig wrote:

I have to remind myself that the poles are *not* for
whacking people on the head:-)

Hehe I don't use poles for that. They break to easily. And
besides, where the hell you find people to do this **** in
Finland? To be honest I never saw not even one single person
in all those times when I was in Scandinavia, and I was upthere
quite lot, to be walking on ski track.
Down here it's different thing. Ski tracks are usually considered
as perfect place to go in group of 10 people all over track,
especially great is on downhills, or to go horse riding on
track. But even more interesting gets when you snick behind
that horse and shout

--
Primoz
Support - IP/VoIP Connectivity & Routing
Old November 27th 03, 02:15 PM
Tomas Bystrom

In article , Primoz Jeroncic wrote:
besides, where the hell you find people to do this **** in
Finland? To be honest I never saw not even one single person
in all those times when I was in Scandinavia, and I was upthere
quite lot, to be walking on ski track.

In the upcoming WC tracks in Umeå, Sweden it's normally life threatening
to let go as there people, dogs, sleds, kick sleds and whatnot all over
the place. Per Elofsson doesn't like to train there for that reason.

/Tomas

--
Caps and foobar are normally not parts of my address.
Old November 28th 03, 09:51 AM
Anders Lustig

Primoz Jeroncic wrote in message ...

Hehe I don't use poles for that. They break to easily. And
besides, where the hell you find people to do this **** in
Finland? To be honest I never saw not even one single person
in all those times when I was in Scandinavia, and I was upthere
quite lot, to be walking on ski track.

I think you mustīve had the pleasure to ski in places
that were a bit special: where athletes train frequently,
there are signs that prohibit walking and club members
who are quick to show anyone the error of their ways.

Whereas in normal circumstances, in suburbs where the
tracks are built on the existing park and forest paths,
the walkers, runners, dog owners and even bikers who
use them during the rest of the year are, as a rule,
quite incapable of appreciating that they should give
up at least a few of the paths theīve frequented for
the benefit of skiers.

Whatīs mo they have the law on their side! They can
only be recommended to use other paths! They donīt even
have to use the space between two parallel tracks!

In short: with the exception of the loops built on
special running loops ("Finnbahnen" in German) itīs
a jungle out there! And if I canīt help opening my
mouth, Iīll be told to move my ass to one of them
"if it really bothers you so much that people use
their right to walk here, too"!

Anders
Old November 28th 03, 01:10 PM
David Dermott

On 28 Nov 2003, Anders Lustig wrote:

Whereas in normal circumstances, in suburbs where the
tracks are built on the existing park and forest paths,
the walkers, runners, dog owners and even bikers who
use them during the rest of the year are, as a rule,
quite incapable of appreciating that they should give
up at least a few of the paths they've frequented for
the benefit of skiers.

Reminds me of this, from Oslo ski comic strip "Basen & Berit" :-)
"http://www.skiforeningen.no/img/stripe/2002-50.jpg"

"What does that funny lady have on her feet, Mamma?"

:-) :-) :-)

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old November 28th 03, 01:15 PM
JMC

"Anders Lustig" wrote in message
om...
Whatīs mo they have the law on their side! They can
only be recommended to use other paths! They donīt even
have to use the space between two parallel tracks!

In a document titled BC Parks Trail Standards found at
http://members.shaw.ca/djlassmann4/, there is a little paragrah of interest
to this topic:
"Walkers and snowshoe users also break up parallel ski grooves. If walkers
or snowshoe users are expected on ski trails, place signs to remind them to
stay to the side of the ski tracks."

JMC