Need help moving out west

Old January 5th 05, 04:24 PM
skier150

Default Need help moving out west

Hi i'm a junior in high school and I am playing to move out west after
i'm out of school. So far I am a ski instructor and a ski patrol
canadite. I will try and have all my local ski patrol trainning done
and I will have avalanche saftey level two and Proffesional Ski
Instructors of America (PISA) level one. I am also open for any other
training that you can think of that will help me get a job on the hill.
I am also thinking of getting a job somewhere near a ski resort
(prefferably not summit county) and being a ski bum until i find a
college and know what i have to do to become a backcountry guide or a
heli-guide and what training is needed. I'm taking as many medical
classes as i can because i'm sure that is needed to be a heli-guide. I
would greatly appreciate any thoughts or opinions you might have on
this topic, or to help me move out west and be a ski bum and future
heli-guide.

Old January 5th 05, 06:48 PM
Walt

skier150 wrote:

Hi i'm a junior in high school and I am playing to move out west after
i'm out of school. So far I am a ski instructor and a ski patrol
canadite. I will try and have all my local ski patrol trainning done
and I will have avalanche saftey level two and Proffesional Ski
Instructors of America (PISA) level one. I am also open for any other
training that you can think of that will help me get a job on the hill.

Essential reading:

http://mattfischer.com/ramen/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...52250?v=glance

http://www.exploremaine.com/~joeho/tape.htm

Good luck.

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 5th 05, 07:21 PM
lal_truckee

skier150 wrote:
[...]

Grab a free paper cup in the cafeteria, fill it full of free squeeze
pouches of catchup, season with free salt and pepper; drink: makes a
dandy soup du jour.

Note also:
People often leave partial pitchers of beer when they vacate.
People often leave wedges of pizza when they vacate.
Bakeries sell day old bread for half price, and toss older bread - be
the first to the dumpster for pain du jour.
Tourist types often leave their car unlocked and seldom arise early -
fine place to sleep - worse that can happen is the cops run you in - to
a warm place to sleep; they'll let you go in the morning with a warning,
likely, if it's the first time.

Best:
Act pitifully and be taken home by a sugar momma; avoid prospecting
sugar daddies: unless you are oppositely polarized - in that case
reverse this advice.
Old January 5th 05, 08:23 PM
Mary Malmros

skier150 wrote:

Hi i'm a junior in high school and I am playing to move out west after
i'm out of school. So far I am a ski instructor and a ski patrol
canadite. I will try and have all my local ski patrol trainning done
and I will have avalanche saftey level two and Proffesional Ski
Instructors of America (PISA) level one. I am also open for any other
training that you can think of that will help me get a job on the hill.

You don't need all them certs to get a job on the hill; in fact, you
don't need any of them. Stop wasting your time and money on certs and
get some more job experience; it'll be worth more when you go looking
for employment.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 5th 05, 10:23 PM
snoig

I've found that the linen rooms of many large hotels usually are not
locked. And they are rather comfortable. Just make sure you get out
early so you don't get caught.

Old January 6th 05, 12:43 AM
TCS

Hi i'm a junior in high school and I am playing to move out west after
i'm out of school. So far I am a ski instructor and a ski patrol
canadite. I will try and have all my local ski patrol trainning done
and I will have avalanche saftey level two and Proffesional Ski
Instructors of America (PISA) level one. I am also open for any other
training that you can think of that will help me get a job on the hill.

Did he say where he went to high school? I need to keep my kids away from
there!

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado Springs - Gateway to Colorado Ski Country
Old January 6th 05, 12:51 AM
The Real Bev

TCS wrote:

Hi i'm a junior in high school and I am playing to move out west after
i'm out of school. So far I am a ski instructor and a ski patrol
canadite. I will try and have all my local ski patrol trainning done
and I will have avalanche saftey level two and Proffesional Ski
Instructors of America (PISA) level one. I am also open for any other
training that you can think of that will help me get a job on the hill.

Did he say where he went to high school? I need to keep my kids away from
there!

He sounded so enthusiastic that I forbore to tell him that mastering a
spellchecker might be useful.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 6th 05, 02:15 PM
Mary Malmros

AstroPax wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:23:04 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

You don't need all them certs to get a job on the hill; in fact, you
don't need any of them.

He will need a current EMT (Basic) certification to Ski Patrol
anywhere in Utah.

Right, I was going to mention some degree of first aid preferably with
wilderness component, but that wasn't on his extensive list. Still, he
said that he'd have all his "ski patrol training" done, which is also
EMT-B level here plus wilderness. But unless things have changed,
under-18s can only get a provisional EMT cert, I think.

Old January 7th 05, 02:17 AM
rosco

Walt wrote:
skier150 wrote:

Hi i'm a junior in high school and I am playing to move out west after
i'm out of school. So far I am a ski instructor and a ski patrol
canadite. I will try and have all my local ski patrol trainning done
and I will have avalanche saftey level two and Proffesional Ski
Instructors of America (PISA) level one. I am also open for any other
training that you can think of that will help me get a job on the hill.

Essential reading:

http://mattfischer.com/ramen/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...52250?v=glance

http://www.exploremaine.com/~joeho/tape.htm

Good luck.

Be prepared to pay your dues - attitude (good, that is) is what will get
you that cool job.

"Sage Cattabriga-Alosa
He was twenty-years old, had never left the lower forty-eight and was a
dishwasher in Alta living life as an average ski bum "

http://powdermag.com/skijobs/1/

http://www.coolworks.com

Old January 7th 05, 04:27 AM
Wayne Decker

Here is what they require in my neighborhood to be a patrol "trainee".
Please note that $9 to $11.21 with no benifits is not a living wage anywhere
around here--the Mountain does provide subsidised housing for the first 2
yrs.--1st come 1st sirved. After that your are on your own. It is a quote
from this morning's most recent update of the web page:

Seasonal Position: Ski Patroller Trainee
Job Description:Thank you for your interest in becoming a Mammoth Mountain
Ski Patroller. Please consider the following information prior to applying
for this position: Duties include, but are not limited to, advanced level of
Alpine Skiing (sorry no Telemark Skiing or Snowboarding), training in slope
specific first aid, hill safety, Avalanche control and Mammoth Mt.
Operations. Patrol candidates must have current American Red Cross Emergency
Response, EMT-1 or Outdoor Emergency Care (NSP) and current certification
for CPR (Professional), including 1 rescuer adult, infant, child and 2
rescuer CPR. You must be at least twenty-one years of age and have advanced
alpine skiing ability. Ski Patrollers are hired from this group. Employment
will be contingent on skiing ability.

Note: We still have Employee Housing available at the present time for
successful candidates joining the Patrol team.

What we expect of you:
You must be a competent alpine skier to be considered as a ski patrol
trainee (sorry, no snowboarding or Telemark skiing for this position). Ski
Tests will be offered through the end of the current ski season with advance
appointments arranged through our Main Lodge Patrol Office. A ski test will
be arranged with you depending upon your arrival date.

Required credentials: Current American Red Cross Emergency Response, EMT-1
or Outdoor Emergency Care (NSP) and certification for CPR (Professional),
including 1 rescuer adult, infant, child and 2 rescuer CPR. Patrol
candidates must have current cards (please bring original cards, photo
copies are not accepted). Cards need to be valid at all times during the
season (if your card will expire, you must plan to re-certify during the
season).

What to expect from us:
There are no part-time positions in this department. Patrol Trainees receive
a starting pay of $9.00/hr. Upon successful completion of the resort's three
week training program, Patrol Trainees are promoted to Ski Patrollers. Ski
Patrollers receive $11.21/hr, and generally work full-time schedules, 5 days
per week.

--
I ski, therefore I am