Skis grip Ice TOOOO much??

Old February 18th 09, 01:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Al

Default Skis grip Ice TOOOO much??

Hey all,

I have been skiing for quite a few years and something new has
happened lately. I got my skis sharpened two weeks ago and last week
when I hit the slopes I got into trouble.

There was alot of Ice and everyone was having to deal with the
slippage. Except for me! The issue I had was when I got onto an icy
part, my skis would "cut" into the ice, pretty much preventing me from
turning! Its as if my skis would get into a groove and I had all the
trouble in the world to get out of the groove (this was on any patch
of ice, and when I finally did start to turn, the ski's would resist
the whole way..very dangerous)

Any ideas what can cause this? Is it because it was badly sharpened
or sharpened too much?

Thanks,

Al
Old February 18th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Feb 18, 7:12*am, Al wrote:
Hey all,

I have been skiing for quite a few years and something new has
happened lately. *I got my skis sharpened two weeks ago and last week
when I hit the slopes I got into trouble.

There was alot of Ice and everyone was having to deal with the
slippage. *Except for me! *The issue I had was when I got onto an icy
part, my skis would "cut" into the ice, pretty much preventing me from
turning! *Its as if my skis would get into a groove and I had all the
trouble in the world to get out of the groove (this was on any patch
of ice, and when I finally did start to turn, the ski's would resist
the whole way..very dangerous)

*Any ideas what can cause this? *Is it because it was badly sharpened
or sharpened too much?

Thanks,

Al

I don't ski in the "newer" ****. But I bet the problem would be more
pronounced than on my 205's. I used to dull the tips and tails back
5-6" inside edge and 8-12" on the outside. It was common practice to
keep them from grabbing and pulling the ski around
Old February 18th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Tom

"Al" wrote in message
Hey all,

I have been skiing for quite a few years and something new has
happened lately. I got my skis sharpened two weeks ago and last week
when I hit the slopes I got into trouble.

There was alot of Ice and everyone was having to deal with the
slippage. Except for me! The issue I had was when I got onto an icy
part, my skis would "cut" into the ice, pretty much preventing me from
turning! Its as if my skis would get into a groove and I had all the
trouble in the world to get out of the groove (this was on any patch
of ice, and when I finally did start to turn, the ski's would resist
the whole way..very dangerous)

Any ideas what can cause this? Is it because it was badly sharpened
or sharpened too much?

Are you trying to skid or carve your turn? If you are trying to skid, then
yeah, they could grip too well to skid; your skis are too stiff for you.

If you are carving, then no, its not the skis; the groove they follow is the
curved one you make when turning.

I actually went to more flexible skis when my tails started catching
erratically; when I got older and heavier I wasn't up to them.

Old February 18th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Al wrote:
Hey all,

I have been skiing for quite a few years and something new has
happened lately. I got my skis sharpened two weeks ago and last week
when I hit the slopes I got into trouble.

There was alot of Ice and everyone was having to deal with the
slippage. Except for me! The issue I had was when I got onto an icy
part, my skis would "cut" into the ice, pretty much preventing me from
turning! Its as if my skis would get into a groove and I had all the
trouble in the world to get out of the groove (this was on any patch
of ice, and when I finally did start to turn, the ski's would resist
the whole way..very dangerous)

Any ideas what can cause this? Is it because it was badly sharpened
or sharpened too much?

Sounds to me like they where sharpened properly, for racing. Do you mean you
couldn't turn your foot, or if you put the skis on their edges they didn't
turn?

--

Chris *:-)

Old February 18th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Al wrote:

I have been skiing for quite a few years and something new has
happened lately. I got my skis sharpened two weeks ago and last week
when I hit the slopes I got into trouble.

There was alot of Ice and everyone was having to deal with the
slippage. Except for me! The issue I had was when I got onto an icy
part, my skis would "cut" into the ice, pretty much preventing me from
turning! Its as if my skis would get into a groove and I had all the
trouble in the world to get out of the groove (this was on any patch
of ice, and when I finally did start to turn, the ski's would resist
the whole way..very dangerous)

Any ideas what can cause this? Is it because it was badly sharpened
or sharpened too much?

It's because your edges are sharp. The ski is holding an edge instead of
sliding. This is a good thing, and is how things ought to be.

The thing is, you can't use sloppy technique with sharp edges. Take some
lessons or do some drills to promote edge awareness. A ski with sharp
edges will respond precisely to input from the skier and if you tell it
to do the wrong thing, it'll misbehave.

//Walt
Old February 18th 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Computers do **** like that too. There oughta be a law.

--
Cheers, Bev
Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.
Old February 18th 09, 04:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

The Real Bev wrote:
A ski with
sharp edges will respond precisely to input from the skier and if you
tell it to do the wrong thing, it'll misbehave.

Computers do **** like that too.

If you're lucky. Some stuff will do whatever it wants regardless of
what you tell it to. (I'm talking to *you*, M$ Excel)

There oughta be a law.

Moore's law? Murphy's law? Cole's law?

//Walt
Old February 18th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Armin

On Feb 18, 8:07*am, The Real Bev wrote:
Walt wrote:
Al wrote:

[...]

You sharpen your computer? Cool!
Old February 18th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
A ski with
sharp edges will respond precisely to input from the skier and if you
tell it to do the wrong thing, it'll misbehave.

Computers do **** like that too.

If you're lucky. Some stuff will do whatever it wants regardless of
what you tell it to. (I'm talking to *you*, M$ Excel)

Got Open Office?

There oughta be a law.

Moore's law? Murphy's law? Cole's law?

:-)

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 18th 09, 10:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Al wrote:
Hey all,

I have been skiing for quite a few years and something new has
happened lately. I got my skis sharpened two weeks ago and last week
when I hit the slopes I got into trouble.

There was alot of Ice and everyone was having to deal with the
slippage. Except for me! The issue I had was when I got onto an icy
part, my skis would "cut" into the ice, pretty much preventing me from
turning! Its as if my skis would get into a groove and I had all the
trouble in the world to get out of the groove (this was on any patch
of ice, and when I finally did start to turn, the ski's would resist
the whole way..very dangerous)

Any ideas what can cause this? Is it because it was badly sharpened
or sharpened too much?

Thanks,

Al

Dull the tips about 6" back from the curve of the
shovels and about 4" back at the tails.

Common occurrence.

It may be that you are a little light
for skis you are on and can't bend them