There goes the snow ... buh bye.

Old December 27th 03, 10:52 PM
J999w

Default There goes the snow ... buh bye.

At least I got one day of skiing in yesterday (on a barely frozen lake). High
temp today of 48 F.

Today I did some hiking on a trail 25 miles south of here that I've never been
to before (opened a few years ago), threw a few snowballs from what snow was
left back in the pine trees, and then got some late season cement work in !

jw
milwaukee
Old December 28th 03, 06:55 AM
Rapid Rick

Here in NoDak it's been in the mid 30s all damn day--still is now--and the
white stuff is heavy and fading fast. That "storm" heading our way will
probably wimp out and with a couple days off next week, looks like no skiing
for me, sigh.

OK, maybe this will work: I GUARANTEE IT WILL NOT SNOW...

--
Raider Rick
"Just ski, baby"

"J999w" wrote in message
At least I got one day of skiing in yesterday (on a barely frozen lake).

High
temp today of 48 F.

Today I did some hiking on a trail 25 miles south of here that I've never

been
to before (opened a few years ago), threw a few snowballs from what snow

was
left back in the pine trees, and then got some late season cement work in

!

jw
milwaukee

Old December 28th 03, 05:46 PM
Andrew Bolger

I should report from the far from snow sure but undoubtedly 'famed' English
Peak District that I have been skiing twice this Christmas. Both times on a
mixture of tracks and heather moorland around Ax Edge Buxton at about 1600'.
On the Sunday before Xmas there were 3 inches of refrozen slush which
provided surprisingly fast and sporting (it surprised me because I wasn't
expecting it to be frozen) little tour. Although all my friends thought I
was lying, mad or both the crust meant that I didn't break through onto the
stones lying on the tracks which is my minimum requirement for 'good
skiing'. BTW what do people reckon is a reasonable speed for downhill on
moderate but icey tracks? I suddenly found myself a long way ahead of my
wife who was following me on foot. Yesterday; however, a fresh fall brought
a softer thinner cover,I was catching small rocks with my bases all too
frequently, still it got me out of the house and its snowing again now.
Andy bolger

Old December 28th 03, 07:58 PM
J999w

Nice report from afar. I think on an ungroomed trail, 12 to 15 mph would feel
pretty fast.

Unofficially, I attained 7mph (twice my walking speed) while sliding downhill
on my back on some very slippery mud today.

Does that count as glide???

jw
milwaukee
(Whooooaaaaaaa! ... )

Old December 29th 03, 11:20 AM
Primoz Jeroncic

J999w wrote:

At least I got one day of skiing in yesterday (on a barely frozen lake). High
temp today of 48 F.

Today I did some hiking on a trail 25 miles south of here that I've never been
to before (opened a few years ago), threw a few snowballs from what snow was
left back in the pine trees, and then got some late season cement work in !

Same sadness here. There's 1km lap in Pokljuka which is full of
trucks and people trying to make it ready for next week Biathlon
World Cup, and that's pretty much it. So no skiing yet for me. But
at least it got a bit colder so I can play at least some ice hockey
But I agree this winter sucks until now. Right now it's +4c and raining
so hopefully we will get some snow at least in mountains now.

--
Primoz
Support - IP/VoIP Connectivity & Routing
Old December 29th 03, 12:23 PM
Ken Roberts

Just got back from two days of delightful skiing at Mt Van Hoevenberg in the
Adirondacks at Lake Placid, New York.

A few bare spots to avoid, especially where creeks cross the trail right at
the bottom of a fast downhill. Some icy patches in the main stadium area,
and one or two trails closed. But I had a great time on the rest of it. It
was so good to be skating on a firm track at last. Sharon found nice
classic striding conditions on Sunday morning using regular wax.

Mt Van Hoevenberg is a great places to _learn_ to skate: the big flat
stadium field together the _wide_ and gentle trails of Flatlander and
Flatlander Extension. Then the progression to moderate hilliness on the
trails on the other "biathlon" side thru the tunnels under the road.

Ken

Old December 29th 03, 12:32 PM
Daniel Vargo

Come on out to Utah where we have gotten anywhere from 3-6 feet of snow
since Friday!!

Dan Vargo
SLC, UT
Old December 29th 03, 01:02 PM
Ken Roberts

Great news -- Sharon and I will be there in just two weeks. Where do you
want to meet?

Ken

Old December 29th 03, 01:14 PM

That Timex GPS thingee has not yet exceeded 50kph on snow, but close,
and we had very fast conditions (and very nice) at Highlands this
weekend. (I think the good conditions will survive this warm stretch.)
I was in full tuck when it gave high 40's, and possibly there's a slight
underestimate due to sample spacing.

I'm nothing like an elite racer, but I do almost invariably make up
time on downhills, and have never been passed by the top younger
guys on downhills in individual start races. So it seems to me
that these estimates of 90kph for WCers on fast downhills are
somewhat exaggerated. I don't even know whether snowmobiles have
speedometers, but if so, have they ever actually shown what the
TV camera operators get up to when following these WCers? In the
Tour de France, they do that sometimes on the motorbikes, but
there it is often said that the claims are exaggerated, and that
the speedometers are very inaccurate. Of course you can't disbelieve
the 50kph _average_ speeds in some time trials, since the distances
are likely accurate and the times certainly are.

Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed that my max speeds aren't coming out
higher, so that I can brag to those wimpy alpine skier friends!

Best, Peter