yeah, I'm a consumer

Old October 29th 04, 12:59 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default yeah, I'm a consumer

I saw three interesting catalogs recently. One was from LLBean on
winter outdoor activities. They had a really nice selection of
clothes for skiing and other stuff. Well done.

Another was from the National Running Center. Again good sports
clothing.

Finally the latest Craft USA catalog, which has some partially wool
baselayers I really want to look at.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 29th 04, 01:04 AM
Lew Lasher

I'm a sucker for Sportsman's Guide.

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont

Old October 29th 04, 04:45 AM
Nathan Schultz

JT:

I'm sponsored by Craft, so take this however you wish. I don't make
enough money from sponsorships to make it worthwhile to lie or
exaggerate....

If you have not tried Craft, do it. You won't be sorry. We (Subaru
Factory Team) have been sponsored by them for years and if they left my team
for some reason, I would seriously consider quitting the team so I could
continue to wear Craft.

Everything they make is done to a level of detail that I have never
found anywhere else. The fit is incredible, and the fabrics are amazing.
The long underwear keeps you dry and warm like nothing else can and their
jackets and ski pants are designed so well that they will make you giddy.
Really. I know it seems ridiculous for me to be going on and on like this,
but try one piece and you will understand.

Craft sponsored the Colorado International Spring Series last year and
we did a line of jackets, fleece and shirts with the race logo. We sold a
fair amount during the event, but the thing that surprised me the most was
how many people bought a technical t-shirt for a souvenir at the race, went
home and used it for a while, and then called us up to buy jackets and
fleece because they loved the t-shirt so much.

You cannot comprehend how good a piece of clothing can be until you try
it. It really is amazing.

-Nathan
www.nsavage.com

Old October 29th 04, 11:27 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:45:27 -0600, "Nathan Schultz"
wrote:

I'm sponsored by Craft, so take this however you wish. I don't make
enough money from sponsorships to make it worthwhile to lie or
exaggerate....

If you have not tried Craft, do it.

I have some and it's good. I just want a thicker base layer which is
why I'm intrigued by their wool product.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 29th 04, 12:53 PM
Chris Pella

I'll second that. I started using Craft layer one stuff a few years
ago and now I have a small collection. I bought some for my wife one
Christmas and now it seems our household is standardized on Craft and
SportHill 3SP for most of our skiing. When it's -20c I don't want to
have anything else next to my skin. I've often stopped at a warming
hut in Gatineau Park in arctic temperatures and found that my skin is
dry but the inside of my jacket has a thick layer of frost from
condensed sweat. I look around and see people who are wearing what
appears to be thick layers but are shivering like crazy even in a
heated hut because they have cheaped out on the first layer - I've
even seen people who still have cotton on, but they're usually also
wearing knickers and long socks and using 3-pin bindings.
While I do use lifa for kayaking in cool conditions it doesn't perform
like Craft in cold conditions.

Chris

Old October 29th 04, 06:00 PM
Nathan Schultz

Another option is to go to the "S3" base layer. They take their normal
underwear and add a stretchable, windproof panel to the front. I wear it in
any race where temps approach -15C or below. It keeps the wind off and
seems and I've never had any trouble being cold, even racing marathons in
just a single layer underneath a normal lycra racing suit in -10F
conditions. The S3 Gunde short (wind brief) is a key item.

Old October 29th 04, 11:35 PM
Tim Kelley

I have a pair of Craft zip-up overpants. The fit nice, but the fabric
pills very easily. Also, in severe cold there is way too much air
permeability. I'd suggest that people upgrade to Windstopper fabrics
if you spend a lot of time in the cold. Sportful makes good stuff.
Thin Patagonia capilene under a Sportful WS gear ... sure a good combo
for Alaska.

Old October 30th 04, 12:40 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:00:49 -0600, "Nathan Schultz"
wrote:

Another option is to go to the "S3" base layer. They take their normal
underwear and add a stretchable, windproof panel to the front. I wear it in
any race where temps approach -15C or below. It keeps the wind off and
seems and I've never had any trouble being cold, even racing marathons in
just a single layer underneath a normal lycra racing suit in -10F
conditions. The S3 Gunde short (wind brief) is a key item.

I use the S3 leggings and windshorts from Craft and others. But I
really don't like the S3 top. Or perhaps I should have bought a
larger size than the basic tops I wear -- for me when it's cold enough
to want that sort of protection. I'd prefer something thicker, with
the windresistance on the outside. I've got a nice thermal undervest
from Peal Izumi with a windproof front that fits over anything which
is OK. But usually I just wear a windfront outer vest instead.

even racing marathons in
just a single layer underneath
a normal lycra racing suit in -10F

I'd die if I did that.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 30th 04, 06:01 PM
Jeff Potter

OK, I'll chime in on the fancy clothing topic. I've been hearing great
things about Icebreaker marino wool underwear from the iBOB-list bike
culture people. I see these are about $40, which would make it the
priciest clothes I have. I find cotton tee's to be fine for my 1-2
hour no-break jaunts but I do sometimes have to be careful about
chills. Makes me wonder about doing it right sometimes. I have polypro
this'n'that but they chafe my nips and elsewhere and stink. Oh yeah,
that's another big rave about the wool. No stink. What's the XC take
on this thin wool undie stuff? --JP
Old October 30th 04, 08:31 PM
Lew Lasher

Sierra Trading Post has polyester+merino wool (75/25) thermal underwear,
$12.95 per piece, Hot Chilly's brand.
I just got a pair as a surprise gift for my sister (she doesn't read this
newsgroup, and I don't want any of you running out and telling her), but
I'm trying to restrain myself from adding to my ever-increasing collection
of different types of thermal underwear. (Maybe if I can find some good
liner gloves to add to the order ...)