Groomed trails in Vermont?

Old July 18th 10, 04:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
toller

Default Groomed trails in Vermont?

Okay, I only like skiing on groomed trails. I know we are supposed to
prefer ungroomed; but I don't. Back here in WNY ALL trails are
groomed. I can't understand why it isn't like that everywhere.

Any how, last winter we went to Sugarbush for a few days. Marvelous
skiing on the groomed trails; didn't much care for the 70% that
weren't groomed.

Is there anyplace in the region that grooms more?
Old July 18th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

On 7/18/2010 12:30 PM, toller wrote:
Okay, I only like skiing on groomed trails. I know we are supposed to
prefer ungroomed; but I don't. Back here in WNY ALL trails are
groomed. I can't understand why it isn't like that everywhere.

Any how, last winter we went to Sugarbush for a few days. Marvelous
skiing on the groomed trails; didn't much care for the 70% that
weren't groomed.

Is there anyplace in the region that grooms more?

Stratton does very good on grooming
JQ
Dancing on the edge
Old July 18th 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"toller" wrote in message

Okay, I only like skiing on groomed trails. I know we are supposed to
prefer ungroomed; but I don't.

You are supposed to prefer whatever you prefer. If you happen to like
groomed, great, more power to you. You are more likley to find what you like
than I am because most resorts groom the hell out of their runs.

Back here in WNY ALL trails are
groomed. I can't understand why it isn't like that everywhere.

Grooming is expensive. Its hardly necesary to hit 100%, especially when, as
you already make note of, its not universally preferred.

Any how, last winter we went to Sugarbush for a few days. Marvelous
skiing on the groomed trails; didn't much care for the 70% that
weren't groomed.

I've never, well not in 30 years, been to a resort that left 70% ungroomed.
I think you were there on a very unusual day or you embellish somewhat.

Is there anyplace in the region that grooms more?

Look for any resort that advertises family or kid friendly.

Old July 18th 10, 05:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Jul 18, 9:30*am, toller wrote:
Okay, I only like skiing on groomed trails. *I know we are supposed to
prefer ungroomed; but I don't. *Back here in WNY ALL trails are
groomed. *I can't understand why it isn't like that everywhere.

Any how, last winter we went to Sugarbush for a few days. *Marvelous
skiing on the groomed trails; didn't much care for the 70% that
weren't groomed.

Is there anyplace in the region that grooms more?

Excuse me?
How DARE you ask a skiing question?
This is MY newsgroup, and the only topics allowed are under my
control.
The current discussion is about Tranny Boob Thompson's male rape
fantasies. Discuss.

Oh, yeah. Ski Dear Valet before you die.
Old July 18th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

comadrejo wrote:
In article
,
toller wrote:

Okay, I only like skiing on groomed trails. I know we are supposed to
prefer ungroomed; but I don't. Back here in WNY ALL trails are
groomed. I can't understand why it isn't like that everywhere.

Part of me thinks that by all means stay on groom trails, and don't
leave New York State. Enjoy the ice, no pain, no enjoyment....

However, three words of why people go screaming yellow zonkers over
powder stashes: Island Lake Lodge. Once a person goes to untracked
endless powder, one thinks skiing groomed blue ice is just too
provincial, besides a waste of time..

You do not race in powder, many of the race courses are laid out on
blue trails that are salted to make ice.
I do not ski powder find it is a waste of time and does nothing to help
my ski racing. It just abuses my knees.

Old July 18th 10, 07:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"comadrejo" wrote in message news:comadrejoagua-

Okay, I only like skiing on groomed trails. I know we are supposed to
prefer ungroomed; but I don't. Back here in WNY ALL trails are
groomed. I can't understand why it isn't like that everywhere.

Part of me thinks that by all means stay on groom trails, and don't
leave New York State. Enjoy the ice, no pain, no enjoyment....

However, three words of why people go screaming yellow zonkers over
powder stashes: Island Lake Lodge. Once a person goes to untracked
endless powder, one thinks skiing groomed blue ice is just too
provincial, besides a waste of time..

Any how, last winter we went to Sugarbush for a few days. Marvelous
skiing on the groomed trails; didn't much care for the 70% that
weren't groomed.

Is there anyplace in the region that grooms more?

Look at the mega ski areas traffic, if they have large amount of
snowmaking equipment, or more likely, ice making equipment, they
probably do lots of grooming. There is a time and place to ski and
ski in control on ice, but one should learn to ski different conditions,
from blue ice, to Sierra Cement and Cascade Crud to Interior BC powder
and Hokkaido powder...

Interior BC powder is just a myth, it doesn't really happen.

I hear Vail is nice, tho...

Old July 18th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 7/18/10 11:34 AM, downhill wrote:

I do not ski powder find it is a waste of time and does nothing to help
my ski racing. It just abuses my knees.

downhill, lots of top coaches send their charges out for free-ski days
when the pow's fresh. It is said to improve a racer's skiing in numerous
ways, not the least balance from unanticipated condition changes. It's
hard to train for that on a course, since the course is all about
anticipation.

All part of training. But IIRC Daron Rahlves was injured while off piste
training at Sugar Bowl 6 or 7 years ago at the height of his WC career,
so it's not all gravy...

If you do decide to try powder make sure to set your bindings to some
rational DIN; a decade or so ago my boy strained his knee skiing powder
on his 223 Volkl DH skis, Markers set at 20. And then don't forget to
put the DIN back up for racing.
Old July 18th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 7/18/10 9:58 AM, Norm wrote:

I've never, well not in 30 years, been to a resort that left 70% ungroomed.

Heh heh. Road trip indicated. Look around.
Old July 18th 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

toller wrote:
Okay, I only like skiing on groomed trails. I know we are supposed to
prefer ungroomed; but I don't. Back here in WNY ALL trails are
groomed. I can't understand why it isn't like that everywhere.

Any how, last winter we went to Sugarbush for a few days. Marvelous
skiing on the groomed trails; didn't much care for the 70% that
weren't groomed.

Is there anyplace in the region that grooms more?

Park city and deer vally groom their slopes to death. Utterly boring unless all
you do is straight down bombing.

Old July 18th 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Norm wrote:

Look at the mega ski areas traffic, if they have large amount of
snowmaking equipment, or more likely, ice making equipment, they
probably do lots of grooming. There is a time and place to ski and
ski in control on ice, but one should learn to ski different
conditions, from blue ice, to Sierra Cement and Cascade Crud to
Interior BC powder and Hokkaido powder...

Interior BC powder is just a myth, it doesn't really happen.

I had several great days of powder at Big White a few years ago.