In awe : Adidas Skating Pro

Old January 19th 10, 11:19 AM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

Thanks Kevin, that's an excellent tip!

I probably received bump rubbers for the Manual variety also then.

For now, preformance is passable, and may even help me learn to apply force straight down the blades. For good lateral push, I will need to get me some Manuals or Pilots, then?

Any idea if it might help to make a small modification to my Automatics, like a thin sheet of steel (coke can) in between shoe pin and binding?
Old January 19th 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David Dermott

Default In awe : Adidas Skating Pro

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, wrote:

Your photos show a Salomon Profil "automatic" binding on your nordic
skates blades. "Automatics" are significantly less laterally stiff
than a "manual" Profil binding because the clamp mechanism is not as
robust. Pilot bindings are another small step forward in lateral
stability, IMO.

I have a pair of Almgrens (now called Lundhags) nordic skates (55cm)
that I ordered from
http://nordicskater.com in 1999. I use them with a
manual Profil binding and Salomon S-Lab skate ski boots. Fantastic.

Hi again Kevin and hi to Jan (in NL)

Another reason for the manual bindings is that they may be less
prone to freezing up in wet snow or slush while both skiing and
skating. I have NNN automatic bindings on all my skis (4) and skates (2),
they do freeze up, but I like the auto :-)

If one does a lot of walking/portaging/kluning between lakes,
especially on icy or rocky trails, the "Backcountry" boots/binding
are recommended: Salomon X-adventure or NNN-BC. Skate ski boots
(and also most classic recreation boots)
have very slippery soles. I've thought of switching to NNN-BC
(means getting 6 new pairs of bindings!)

Of course for just competition or training the skate-ski boots are
probably ideal but be careful walking across icy parking lots! Red
Creek (sweden) used to make Anti-slip protectors for ski boots, I
haven't seen a North American source but they are sold in NL:

http://www.almgrens.nl/detail.asp?id=601

Jan: Check out these links in NL:

http://www.natuurijswijzer.nl/voorbe...sende-schaats/
http://www.hlsk.nl
http://www.almgrens.nl
http://www.flevonice.nl/winter/

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
ice skating links: http://www.dermott.ca/ski/skating.html
Old January 19th 10, 07:02 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

Thanks David, the BC thing was something I was wondering about, why do folks use those. I figured even warmer boots, didn't even consider the knobby shoes required their own binding system.

I've yet to visit Flevonice, but it's on the planning. Best distance skating you can get without 2 weeks of solid freezing. Only in Holland, I suppose. Maybe if Global Warming were true, Sweden could cough up for one.
Quite a project, 5km of outdoor ice. Makes a ski tunnel seem like a school assignment.

Thanks also for some of those other links that were new to me.

Old January 26th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

I always liked Adidas.

This one they say converts to Classic. Have you tried it?

I tried an Alpina combi last year. I couldn't see how to remove the
cuff. It was terrible for classic with cuff on.

I like the idea of a classic boot with tons of support. But it seems
that maybe only race boots offer enough support and good fit control
in the first and most important area: the sole, then the upper and
finally a cuff.

I'm doing intense touring with my NNN set-up. I don't hanker for the
BC stuff -- don't need the weight. A good strong light boot would be
enough, I think, for me.

--JP
Old January 31st 10, 12:49 AM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff potter View Post
I always liked Adidas.

This one they say converts to Classic. Have you tried it?
Hmm, interesting, I much have missed that bit of info.

The cuff seems to be un-clickable. But if that leaves us with a usefull classic boot...? I just return from Dutch Nordic Festival. One girl just didn't tie he cuffs to join a classic class.
Isn't the sole between classic and skating different by design?

FS:Adidas Nordic Glide jgsrdi Nordic Skiing 0 December 23rd 04 09:36 PM
FS: Adidas XC Boots Joe Galloway Nordic Skiing 0 November 21st 04 10:23 PM
FS: Adidas Nordic Glide John Nordic Skiing 0 November 12th 04 06:08 PM
Adidas Boot FS John Nordic Skiing 0 November 12th 04 05:24 PM
Wisconsin theory of skating (was forward-step move in skating) Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 19 July 23rd 03 12:17 PM