New xc ski forum (

Old December 2nd 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Default New xc ski forum (

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On 1 Dec 2006 06:11:36 -0800, wrote:

There's a new nordic ski forum http:
www.xcskiforum.com setup to discuss
nordic skiing and equipment.

I've heard of a similar place for discussons -- it's called
rec.skiing.nordic.

Take a look at it -- it's pretty good.

--
JT

I also think rsn is pretty good. But compared to other "hobby" forums
I participate in (boating, hunting, shooting, and others), the usenet
is very poor in terms of interface and flexible use. I've been using
the usenet for probably 15 years and truely understand the
deficiencies. I applaud the guy for trying to improve on it and am
looking forward to using it.

Old December 2nd 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

chiefhiawatha wrote:
In article . com,
" wrote:

I setup the board with my own $$ so that there could be a
community for xc skiers to discuss equipment, training, racing etc.

I don't mean to be a a**, but the $$$ can be better spent for a nordic
program at a local high school.

What the hell is the matter with the people who are responding
negatively?!

People will complain about anything, and this is proof.

As a new guy to the sport, I'm glad to see a message board!

Thanks for setting it up.

My thoughts exactly!

Old December 2nd 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr

wrote:
There's a new nordic ski forum http:
www.xcskiforum.com setup to discuss
nordic skiing and equipment. After searching the net for xc ski
equipment reviews, I was floored that there wasnt a real xc ski
commutity message board anywhere. So I set one up myself.

The success of xcskiforum.com will depend on people signing up and
contributing to the forum. Signing up for xcskiforum.com is completely
free, there are no popup banners and no advertisements. Just xc ski
content. I setup the board with my own $$ so that there could be a
community for xc skiers to discuss equipment, training, racing etc.
I encourage everyone on rec.skiing.nordic to come over and check out
xcskiforum.com. Since I just setup message board up I am looking for
feedback and comments on how to make it better and more useful for the
nordic skiing community.

Regards,

Gregg Bednorski
Owner/Designer xcskiforum.com

All this talk!!! Now these are the rugged individualists of xc that I
know and love!!
gr
Old December 2nd 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ken Roberts

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote
I've heard of a similar place for discussons -- it's called
rec.skiing.nordic.

Yes I love the free public Usenet newsgroups. But lots of newer + younger
Internet users (and skiers) don't know to look for them, and don't know how
to set up news-reader software, or Outlook Express, to participate in them
easily.

The big net service providers and portals have little incentive to promote
the Usenet groups -- because they're free. Same problem with a smaller
entrepreneurial person: What's the payback for promoting a free resource?
So unless somebody comes up with a new successful way to promote Usenet in
general, or better advertise rec.skiing.nordic in particular, it's going to
be an aging, narrowing discussion community. Consider the example of
rec.skiing.backcountry and its lack of energy.

Seems to me pretty clear that lots of newer and younger Internet users and
skiers prefer a jazzier web interface for discussion -- and if they're going
to connect with discussion, that's the way it's going to have to be. If
Gregg can build a critical mass of discussion energy around
www.xcskiforum.com that's a tough job, but more power to him. I'm joining.

Ken

Old December 2nd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I see this new website as a great complement to discuss the content and
news that's out there on the other sites. Some of it may crossover -
trail reports being one - but I like the fact that I live in the good
old USA and maybe the "competition" will raise the bar for everyone.
Let the users decide which is the best way to share and discuss
information, and the best way will become - or stay - as the preffered
way.

I'm looking forward to a new way to interact and share info with other
skiers...

Let it snow!

Old December 2nd 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I know I am an ass. I don't want to tell anyone how to spend their $$,
but the $$ issue was mentioned by the original poster. The Internet
forum boom is over. I have seen attempts of setting up similar forums
before, and they did not go anywhere. If this one works, great.

Old December 2nd 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

it utilizes better software

OK, I won't start again. Best of luck with the new forum.

Old December 2nd 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Ken Roberts wrote:
[...]

How do you explain us 50-somthings who have been using the usenet for
15 years? I still think the sort of forum he's trying to set up is
head and shoulders above a good usenet newsgroup. Much better.

Old December 2nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
panmanphil

I've had an idea for a while, to create a site were people upload their
training logs to help coaches and athletes plan their training. I
wonder if you could set something up like that on xcskiforum. I know
it would create a ton of discussion. Skiers can debate for hours about
training.

I thought I'd throw in a couple of cents here. You are right, skinnyski is
not a place for discussion and it's good to see something other than
usenet for that to happen. It all depends on what people do to take
advantage of it though. I've had, and never promoted, forums setup for
Wiscosnin oriented skiing since early last winter. Not surprisingly nobody
is there, but the site is a pretty high end
forum package that inlcudes photo
galleries, blogs and forums and simple connection to YouTube for video.
It's at http://xcskiwinn.org/community. A few people besides me have
started blogging there too. I guess I offer it as an alternative that
supports a good cause, the Wisconsin Nordic Network.

As to the comment made about Team Today, the rule of thumb in community
sites is this: if you want the site to survive, you must not moderate the
content. Instead other participants must object, pretty much like rsn is
today.