New xc ski forum (

Old December 1st 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default New xc ski forum (

There's a new nordic ski forum http:www.xcskiforum.com setup to discuss
nordic skiing and equipment. After searching the net for xc ski
equipment reviews, I was floored that there wasnt a real xc ski
commutity message board anywhere. So I set one up myself.

The success of xcskiforum.com will depend on people signing up and
contributing to the forum. Signing up for xcskiforum.com is completely
free, there are no popup banners and no advertisements. Just xc ski
content. I setup the board with my own $$ so that there could be a
community for xc skiers to discuss equipment, training, racing etc.
I encourage everyone on rec.skiing.nordic to come over and check out
xcskiforum.com. Since I just setup message board up I am looking for
feedback and comments on how to make it better and more useful for the
nordic skiing community.

Regards,

Gregg Bednorski
Owner/Designer xcskiforum.com

Old December 1st 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

What I see at your nicely-arranged site is not an equipment review
forum, but an attempt to wholly supplant skinnyski.com,
rec.skiing.nordic, ebay and to some extent local/regional club sites in
the U.S. They are not "real" enough for you? Pretty cheeky (I know,
stateside they like to call it enterprising). Are you the Gregg
Bednorski in Wausau WI? What's your beef with skinnyski.com and the
MadNorSki's list? They both post trail reports and events for the
midwest (and beyond) and to differing degrees other topic areas on your
list? At rsn the floor is always open. Concerning product reviews, I
think if you take a good look across the internet at review and user
discussion sites and their histories, you won't find many (or any)
successful attempts at centralization. For x-c skiing, rsn gets notices
like this every year or two.

rm

Old December 1st 06, 05:46 PM
trailville trailville is offline
Junior Member

Location: Wisconsin

Nice looking forum. I especially like the organized categories. I participate in the mountain bike forums at mtbr.com and had searched high and low for an equivelent for xc skiers. I like the skibanter forum, but it isn't as well organized as I would like it to be. I considered setting up one myself on my trail site http://trailville.com/ but am already pushing my tech skills with what I have and didn't feel like jumping into something else yet. Plus my site isn't really xc ski specific (though it does have xc trails).

We're currently getting hit big time with snow in southeast Wisconsin so I will sign up and post a snow report. I'll also include a link from my links page to your site (already have one for skibanter).

I hope it gets some good participation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Old December 1st 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Wow, so negative.

Well I'm with you Gregg. As much as I love it, www.skinnyski.com is
basically a news site, not discussion. The collective knowledge of
hundreds or thousands of people will always be greater than one source.

I'd MUCH rather interact with modern forum software vs. this archaic
usenet system. Plus, as much google searching as I've done, I still
haven't found a decent nordic skiing forum.

Old December 1st 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
WasGitchi

Gregg,

Great idea!! I think that this site will work well with a lot of the
other great ski sites out there. I like the way each topic is in a
specific category.

I've had an idea for a while, to create a site were people upload their
training logs to help coaches and athletes plan their training. I
wonder if you could set something up like that on xcskiforum. I know
it would create a ton of discussion. Skiers can debate for hours about
training.

Congrats on getting the site up!

byrnes-out

Old December 1st 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Great initiative!

I've done this for 29" wheeled mountainbikes once. I can webmaster to save
my life, but it did get something started.

I found some nicely made German sites, but those are pretty much deserted or
offer shallow discussions and little knowledge.

schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Old December 1st 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

xcskiforum is in no way designed to replace anyone elses site. Its
made to be a interactive discussion to promote xc skiing. Skinnyski is
a great site and I hope xcskiforum will equally generate interest in xc
skiing. I have no "beef" with anyones site. If you look, I have been
a contributor to skinnyski trail reports. xcskiforum is just another
resource, its not meant to compete with anyone. What would we be
competing for anyway? Surely not the money.

As I noted I am not promoting anything other that xc skiing. There is
no profit in my site, I made it completely with my own money and time.
There are no advertising popups or banners. Its just a resource for
skiers. I am not sure what you mean by "am I the Gregg Bednorski in
Wausau, WI"? Well, yes I am.

IMHO, news groups are a bit cumbersome and message boards offer a
better interface to interact. I think xc skiing is lagging behind
other sports like cycling in terms of information available.

I hope you will be a contributor to xcskiforum.com in the future.

Old December 1st 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

I like it. I've been using other subject forums that use similar
software, and I believe it's a much better way of managing the sort of
stuff we talk about on this forum. I'll be looking in and
participating.

Old December 1st 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Having 10 geographical categories of trail reports, in particular four
from the upper midwest says you are in competition. Trail reports are
effectively the bread and butter of skinnyski.com and otherwise handled
by local ski club sites and lists and ski center sites. If you were in
the west or east, I could see it, but being from WI and having
contributed to skinnyski trail reports, is something else. Do you
really expect people to be double posting? I suggest you think about
it. Btw, I see you are a decent bike racer. What's your x-c racing
experience?

rm

Old December 1st 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

wrote:
Having 10 geographical categories of trail reports, in particular four
from the upper midwest says you are in competition. Trail reports are
effectively the bread and butter of skinnyski.com and otherwise handled
by local ski club sites and lists and ski center sites. If you were in
the west or east, I could see it, but being from WI and having
contributed to skinnyski trail reports, is something else. Do you
really expect people to be double posting? I suggest you think about
it. Btw, I see you are a decent bike racer. What's your x-c racing
experience?

I just think this is nonsense. He's created a very well organized
forum with modern and well designed software. It has many topic areas
that I personally think will be interesting to me (depending on
participation). Where he comes from has absolutely nothing to do with
anything. I don't live in the midwest and can't imagine why you would
think that someone from Wisconsin shouldn't create a forum for everyone
across the US and world.

It's a totally different type of source than skinnyski.com -not only
different in content and format, but much less limited in it's regional
focus.