helmet recommendations

Old October 1st 03, 05:11 PM
chog

Default helmet recommendations

hi,

was riding in my gath surf helmet last year, but was too sweaty/cold
in equal measure. plus it seemed uncomfortable in a way it never does
when in the sea. maybe it was the goggles squeezing it into my head

any recommendations & links for good stylish helmets for the snow?

thanks in advance

chog.
Old October 1st 03, 05:19 PM
Mike T

any recommendations & links for good stylish helmets for the snow?

Boeri, Giro, Red (Burton), and Leedom are the names that come to mind.
First step is to find out which ones bit your head! I have a Boeri
head - none of the others come close to fitting me properly while most
of the Boeri line well for me. Once you 've found a few models that fit
properly, then look at things like color, style, and other features.
If it doesn't fit properly it's not going to help you much and might in
fact cause more injury than it prevents in the event of a crash.

Mike T

Old October 2nd 03, 10:45 AM
Keith

"chog" wrote in message
om...
hi,

was riding in my gath surf helmet last year, but was too sweaty/cold
in equal measure. plus it seemed uncomfortable in a way it never does
when in the sea. maybe it was the goggles squeezing it into my head

any recommendations & links for good stylish helmets for the snow?

thanks in advance

chog.

I can recommend the Giro SST - it's a skateboardy type thing. I bought it
accidentally (thought I was buying a Giro 9) but the SST fared pretty well.
I used it for a month this year in March, when the temperature was going up
quite a bit, and even then I didn't overheat at all. My goggles fitted
nicely into the front, and it has removeable ear-flaps if it gets too warm
(which it didn't).

Also, if you care much about what you look like, it seems to be pretty
well-liked - I had a couple of people tell me it was the best looking helmet
they'd seen that year.

Keith

Old October 2nd 03, 08:21 PM
Jay

any recommendations & links for good stylish helmets for the snow?

One that fits your head.

I can certainly recommend Cebe and Giro 9. Giro 9 is a bit fragile looking
so if you're planning on banging your bonce on a regular basis maybe you
should look elsewhere.

Old October 3rd 03, 06:09 PM
Jason Watkins

Definately go try on in a store. Every helmet fits differently. I too
have a Boeri head, but even with the same brand, different helmets
have different fits.

I got a Boeri Kameleon. It's the lightest helmet I tried on, and has
removable ear flaps, etc, which should be nice for late spring/summer
riding here. The look is more racer than punk.

Keep in mind that most helmets that are actually designed to take a
hard hit are designed to only do it once. The styrofoam will crush and
the plastic will crack. There are a few helmets out there that are
rated for multiple impacts, but I'd still be wary.
Old October 5th 03, 07:55 AM
Richard

"Mike T" wrote...
First step is to find out which ones bit your head!

^^^^
ouch!

Old October 6th 03, 09:11 AM
Brett

I swear by my Giro 9. With the Giro name behind it, the removable
ventilation hole plugs and ear flaps (this year with speakers in the ear
flaps).... I've taken falls in Giro helments in many different sports and
have never had a problem!!! I'm talking serious head contact falls...

But the end all choice is yours. Fit, versatility, comfort, reputation and
price will all be factors. But for the price, I think the Giro 9 tops them
all... And it gets top ratings in all ofthe reviews.

Brett

Disclaimer:
Product recommendations are purely my opinion and the relay of information
gathered through intensive research. However much I take safety equipement
seriously, the decision as to what to purchase and when/if to wear such
equipment is the sole responsibility of the reader of such comments. I
cannot be held responsible for others actions. Do your research and always
wear a helmet when participating in any action sport.