Boot fit

Old November 23rd 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

Default Boot fit

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a new pair of ski boots after over 10 years in the same
boot. I feel the boot is near it's end as they do not hold my heels down
any longer and may never have. The boot company is no longer around San
Marco, they are a size 10.5 and are the correct size boot. The question I
have is the proper fit of the new boot that I am looking at, Lange Comp 120
FR at the same size. They have the a heat moldable comfort air concept
liner which I have no experience with. I went to a local shop that had them
but they do not have a true boot fitter so I wasn't really comfortable with
their advice. These boots had a very snug fit which felt good except that
my toes felt jammed some what while sitting or standing, when I flexed the
boots they did pull back but were still touching. What I didn't do was try
on the shell to see how much room I actually had. They did not have a size
11 in the same model so I couldn't get a feeling in them but did have it in
the Lange CRL 90. The size 11 fit comfortably but my toes barely if at all
touched the ends while sitting or standing so they may be a tad on the large
size. Since the Comp 120 FR have the heat moldable liners is this the way
they as supposed to fit and will stretch out when heat molded or worn 5 or 6
times?
I don't want to buy the 10.5 and find out later that I should have got the
next size up. By the way my foot measure 28.5 with my ski sock on while
sitting. I know I will need to go to a good boot fitter later to dial in
the boot but I want to start with the correct size.
Thanks for your anticipated advice.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old November 23rd 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

JQ wrote:
....clip

I know I will need to go to a good boot fitter later to dial in
the boot but I want to start with the correct size.
Thanks for your anticipated advice.

JQ - you've been around here long enough to anticipate the chorus: For
real fit it's bootfitter bootfitter bootfitter.

Correct size is part of his job, and a good bootfitter will focus in on
the size much faster than you can (also size can be different in
different brands.)

Couple of points I noticed from your post - for ski boots you measure
your foot standing, not while sitting, since you stand in ski boots when
using them. (And do try the shell without liner.) Also modest toe
contact can be ameliorated by shaving the outside of the inner liner and
taping over the shave, at the risk of colder toes. Pushing out the
toebox is more problematical, since the toebox radius is part of the DIN
standard for binding/boot interface.
Old November 23rd 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. ..
JQ wrote:
...clip

[...]

Lal_truckee,
Thanks for your response. I know that a real boot fitter is the key but
there is not one to be found in my immediate area and one that carries the
boot that I am interested in. I was lucky enough to find a shop that
carried the boot in the area. I'm a good (6 hrs plus) distance from any
place that I am aware of that has a good boot fitter. So that is why I was
asking here, I know there are many experienced skiers here that may know
about the Lange heat moldable liners and the proper fit. I have the money
now and the price is really right but if I wait until I can get to
Killington, VT. I may not plus the cost of the boot will be much higher. So
I figured if I could buy the boots now and get them tweaked later with a
good fitter it would be a win, win situation.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old November 23rd 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
JQ wrote:

about the Lange heat moldable liners and the proper fit. I have the money
now and the price is really right but if I wait until I can get to
Killington, VT. I may not plus the cost of the boot will be much higher. So
I figured if I could buy the boots now and get them tweaked later with a
good fitter it would be a win, win situation.

For what it's worth, you may pay enough for a "tweaking" on boots you
don't buy from a bootfitter that you'd do better to just buy them from
the fitter in the first place.

If you buy a pair of boots from a real bootfitter, they will work on them
again and again -- even the next season, if need be -- to get them just
right for you. And they won't charge you after the first visit. Plus,
you can be pretty sure you'll get boots that _can_ be fit right to your
feet.

Assuming we're talking about the same bootfitter in Killington, I bought
some Lange boots from them a few years ago and though they weren't as
cheap as I could have had them mail order, they discounted them from the
list price (which was what they had posted) until they were a lot closer
than you'd think. I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater
Old November 25th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

JQ wrote:
[...]

JQ, you of all people know the importance of a well fitting
ski boot. That you shouldn't rely on brand name. That you should
seek out a good ^H^H GREAT bootfitter.

Tell him your skiing level and expectations. Let HIM/HER make
recommendations and go from there.

You should also know that the same size of different brands of
boots may not actually be the same size. Let the bootfitter
tell you. Please. I'd like to actually hook up with you this
year on the hill and not have you in pain.

Start he
http://www.techsupportforskiers.com/boots1.htm
http://www.gmolfoot.com/ajarticle.html
http://www.gmolfoot.com/

get it right and be comfortable.
It will cost less in the long run. Remember, you are
going to have these boots for at least 10 years.
Old November 25th 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"Kurt Knisely" wrote in message
"JQ" wrote in
:

So you're use to a free heel? Ummm, wannabe tele-er?

Ya gotta do the thermomoldable liner. It's a no brainer. I've been in
them for 8 or 9 years now. Actually, you can do it yourself after you've
watched a bootfitter do it. If you're gonna do the thermo liner, get
some footbeds as well.

Some say they stretch out. Mine don't much. Still tighter than ****
when I put them on...maybe that's just my big "summer feet".

I'm sure it doesn't help, but I wear a 10.5 - 11 shoe and use a 28.5
boot size. In most of my tele boots, the shell is actually the same for
a couple, three (Euro) sizes. Hence I like the fact that I am at the
high end of the shell size. Most 29s are a larger shell size. If you
can fit the 28.5, do it (lighter weight, less bulky).

Certainly watch the bootfitter, you can learn and not have to pay the guy
next time...maybe. I've paid for a couple over the years, but not now
that I have nice footbeds that I only use for skiing. You can re-
thermomold the liners a few times, so don't worry if you fudge it a
little.

-K

Thanks,
JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old November 25th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"VtSkier" wrote in message
JQ, you of all people know the importance of a well fitting
ski boot. That you shouldn't rely on brand name. That you should
seek out a good ^H^H GREAT bootfitter.

Tell him your skiing level and expectations. Let HIM/HER make
recommendations and go from there.

You should also know that the same size of different brands of
boots may not actually be the same size. Let the bootfitter
tell you. Please. I'd like to actually hook up with you this
year on the hill and not have you in pain.

Start he
http://www.techsupportforskiers.com/boots1.htm
http://www.gmolfoot.com/ajarticle.html
http://www.gmolfoot.com/

get it right and be comfortable.
It will cost less in the long run. Remember, you are
Going to have these boots for at least 10 years.

Hi VtSkier,
I do plan on meeting up with you this year. I will let you know when I will
be up there.
I know the right thing to seek out is a boot fitter, but there aren't any
"real" boot fitters around here.
There are plenty of sales people that say they are just because they took
some training course with their
boot sales reps. I've been to a number of them around here in the past
which didn't help at all and one
really screwed me up. I've been to one good one up near you, one near
Stratton and one in Portland,
Oregon which is now retired.

Thanks, I will take a look at those web sites that you posted when I get
back on Monday. Going on a
little road trip with my best friend of over 35 years. We are going to 5
states highest land point
DE, WV, MD, PA & NJ. It is something my friend is trying to do in as many
states as he is able.

Got to go, we are leaving now!

JQ
Dancing on the edge