I'm back :)

Old September 9th 05, 08:40 PM
Lisa Horton

Default I'm back :)

Although not officially excited until October, I'm starting to think a
lot about snow again. Weather is finally cooling off in the Bay Area.
Stores starting to have pre season sales. Sure seems like ski season is
just around the corner!

I'm a little (just a little) nervous, as I graduated to more advanced
gear at the end of last season, and I hope I can handle it okay after
the summer.

Meanwhile, time to scope out which hotels have good internet, for
playing WoW in the evenings

Lisa
Old September 10th 05, 12:06 AM
VtSkier

Lisa Horton wrote:
Although not officially excited until October, I'm starting to think a
lot about snow again. Weather is finally cooling off in the Bay Area.
Stores starting to have pre season sales. Sure seems like ski season is
just around the corner!

I'm a little (just a little) nervous, as I graduated to more advanced
gear at the end of last season, and I hope I can handle it okay after
the summer.

Meanwhile, time to scope out which hotels have good internet, for
playing WoW in the evenings

Lisa

a) I've been skiing more than 50 years and EVERY year
just before the first day, I'm so nervous I can hardly
eat and that's saying something.

b) More advanced gear is generally not more difficult
to handle, especially if you have your edging down
pat. More advanced skis are stiffer torsionally
with proportionally more edge in contact with the
snow at any given time. A light touch on easy
conditions is a must. More advanced boots are
stiffer laterally. They help you make the most
of the greater edging ability of your skis. In
all likelihood, your skis will still be fairly
soft longitudinally and still be easy to
initiate a turn.

Don't fret. It'll all come together approximately
20 minutes after you are on snow.

VtSkier
Old September 10th 05, 01:14 AM
ant

Lisa Horton wrote:
Although not officially excited until October, I'm starting to think a
lot about snow again. Weather is finally cooling off in the Bay Area.
Stores starting to have pre season sales. Sure seems like ski season
is just around the corner!

Ours is juddering to an early, ignominious end. It's been very ordinary all
season, with a warm trend causing rain before each snow, but the snow cams
last night showed soooo much mud!!! They won't recover from this.
I have to test some skis and it'll have to be this week, so I've taken a few
days off and might head up there for one day, but I'm not looking forward to
it. Our season is meant to go until the October long weekend, but looking at
the cams, there is no way. Even if it snows (and it might with this current
system), it'll be snowing on mud.

I seem to enjoy skiing in the US much more these days, to the point where my
ski choice has to be for skis that need to ski deep ungroomed on a very
regular basis. I love the Stockli Laser SCs, which do everything well
including bumps, but I've heard reservations about soft snow. I'll test them
again anyway but if they aren't good in that, I won't buy them! And it'll
have to be Stormriders.

--
ant

Old September 10th 05, 07:16 AM
BrritSki

ant wrote:
Lisa Horton wrote:

Although not officially excited until October, I'm starting to think a
lot about snow again. Weather is finally cooling off in the Bay Area.
Stores starting to have pre season sales. Sure seems like ski season
is just around the corner!

Ours is juddering to an early, ignominious end.

Goodness, I thought you were talking about your cricket team then -
coming off for bad light when you need a win ? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Old September 10th 05, 11:14 AM
ant

BrritSki wrote:
ant wrote:
Lisa Horton wrote:

Although not officially excited until October, I'm starting to
think a lot about snow again. Weather is finally cooling off in
the Bay Area. Stores starting to have pre season sales. Sure seems
like ski season is just around the corner!

Ours is juddering to an early, ignominious end.

Goodness, I thought you were talking about your cricket team then -
coming off for bad light when you need a win ? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

well, we leave the panicking to your lot. Who appear to need quite a bit
more catching practise.
maybe they should chip in and get the wicket keeper larger gloves? Our
commentators (Dean Jones and Greg Matthews) have named him "cymbals".

--
ant

Old September 11th 05, 07:44 AM
BrritSki

ant wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

Although not officially excited until October, I'm starting to
think a lot about snow again. Weather is finally cooling off in
the Bay Area. Stores starting to have pre season sales. Sure seems
like ski season is just around the corner!

Ours is juddering to an early, ignominious end.

Goodness, I thought you were talking about your cricket team then -
coming off for bad light when you need a win ? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

well, we leave the panicking to your lot.

Looks like your lot are the ones panicking. Off for bad light AGAIN ?

Has nobody told Ponting he needs a win, not just a draw ? Looks like
he's getting his excuse ready for losing the series "that bloody pommie
weather mate".

Who appear to need quite a bit more catching practise.
maybe they should chip in and get the wicket keeper larger gloves? Our
commentators (Dean Jones and Greg Matthews) have named him "cymbals".

Yeah, it's shocking. Just as well though, or we'd be leading 3-0 and not
just have won but have humiliated you
Old September 11th 05, 12:50 PM
ant

BrritSki wrote:
ant wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

Although not officially excited until October, I'm starting to
think a lot about snow again. Weather is finally cooling off in
the Bay Area. Stores starting to have pre season sales. Sure
seems like ski season is just around the corner!

Ours is juddering to an early, ignominious end.

Goodness, I thought you were talking about your cricket team then -
coming off for bad light when you need a win ? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

well, we leave the panicking to your lot.

Looks like your lot are the ones panicking. Off for bad light AGAIN ?

Let's hope your lot want to actually play the game to a finish, rather than
backing off and using light as their excuse.

Has nobody told Ponting he needs a win, not just a draw ? Looks like
he's getting his excuse ready for losing the series "that bloody
pommie weather mate".

He didn't want to lose the top order, who were batting in form, to easy
wickets due to light.

I notice your lot blaming the light for all those catches they just missed.

Is anyone running a sweep on whether Pietersen will actually catch anything
this series?

Who appear to need quite a bit more catching practise.
maybe they should chip in and get the wicket keeper larger gloves?
Our commentators (Dean Jones and Greg Matthews) have named him
"cymbals".

Yeah, it's shocking. Just as well though, or we'd be leading 3-0 and
not just have won but have humiliated you

I don't think we're humiliated, at all. Is that what the British tabloid
media is saying? Oh dear.

--
ant

Old September 11th 05, 03:13 PM
BrritSki

ant wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

BrritSki wrote:

ant wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

Although not officially excited until October, I'm starting to
think a lot about snow again. Weather is finally cooling off in
the Bay Area. Stores starting to have pre season sales. Sure
seems like ski season is just around the corner!

Ours is juddering to an early, ignominious end.

Goodness, I thought you were talking about your cricket team then -
coming off for bad light when you need a win ? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

well, we leave the panicking to your lot.

Looks like your lot are the ones panicking. Off for bad light AGAIN ?

Let's hope your lot want to actually play the game to a finish, rather than
backing off and using light as their excuse.

So when your lot go off it's so that you don't "lose the top order, who
were batting in form", when we go off it's because we don't want to play
the game. Yeah, right. And anyway, do you think Waugh would have stayed
on (I'm not mentioning Ponting, because he's not in the same class as
captain).

Yeah, it's shocking. Just as well though, or we'd be leading 3-0 and
not just have won but have humiliated you

I don't think we're humiliated, at all. Is that what the British tabloid
media is saying? Oh dear.

Read what I said, S L O W L Y . That "we'd be leading" is short for "we
WOULD be leading". A conditional. What might have happened.

As it happens all the British media are saying what a great series it
is, how good Oz were to fight back in the last tests, and what a
sporting contest it has been (see above, absence of Waugh).
I couldn't agree more.

There's a meat pie filling cooking slowly in the oven which will be
ready for us to eat in celebration tomorrow night.
Old September 12th 05, 05:34 PM
Lisa Horton

bdubya wrote:

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:40:06 -0700, Lisa Horton
wrote:

Although not officially excited until October, I'm starting to think a
lot about snow again. Weather is finally cooling off in the Bay Area.
Stores starting to have pre season sales. Sure seems like ski season is
just around the corner!

I'm a little (just a little) nervous, as I graduated to more advanced
gear at the end of last season, and I hope I can handle it okay after
the summer.

Even if you hadn't upgraded, odds are that your first day back, you'd
feel like your skiing is much worse than it was at the end of last
season. So if it feels like your skiing has taken a huge step
backwards, don't let it get to you; the rust of summer should flake
off within a day or two, if not within just a few runs.

I'll keep your encouraging words in mind as I flail down the first run
of the season Seriously, I'm hoping you're right, and figuring that
you probably are right. Thanks

Lisa
Old September 12th 05, 05:49 PM
lal_truckee

bdubya wrote:

... odds are that your first day back, you'd
feel like your skiing is much worse than it was at the end of last
season. So if it feels like your skiing has taken a huge step
backwards, don't let it get to you; the rust of summer should flake
off within a day or two, if not within just a few runs.

Interesting. I feel like my skiing at the start of the new season is
better than it really is; I have to remind myself not to attempt serious
terrain before my reactions are recalibrated properly.