How to?

Old September 8th 05, 01:46 PM
GoHabsGo

Default How to?

Does anyone know of any web sites that show how to maintain a board? IE
install bindings, sharpen edges, wax, etc?

Also where can the tools for maintaining boards be found? Any online
dealers?

Thanks,

Larry
Old September 9th 05, 12:01 AM
lonerider

GoHabsGo wrote:
Does anyone know of any web sites that show how to maintain a board? IE
install bindings, sharpen edges, wax, etc?

Also where can the tools for maintaining boards be found? Any online
dealers?

Thanks,

Larry

Raceboarders (http://www.raceboarders.com/) has very good basic
information (setting up bindings, edges, wax, etc) in a nice and simple
layout with photos. I think it would be best for you.

For more information than you can shake a stick at try
http://www.alpinecarving.com/tuning.html - it is a basically an
exhaustive archive of info.

For tools, try www.tognar.com. Their tips and tricks section also has a
lot of information about tuning, but it's usually very advanced and not
well organized.

Old September 9th 05, 01:15 AM
Slaughterhouse

Yes, your right, Tognar has a great site! Kuu is really good as well. I
believe they have a manual you can download for free with pictures.

Old September 9th 05, 01:25 AM
Tiburon27

If you are a hobbyist or a super alpine racer, you can check out www dot
kuusport dot ca.

They sell a ton of tuning equipment too. Bear in mind that what works for a
super razor edged hard boot racer won't necessarily be the best options for
somebody out sideslipping the beginner runs.

pretty much what you need is:
Dry iron (the ones without steam holes)
A stick each of warm, moderate and cold waxes for different temperatures.
A scraper to remove excess wax.
An edge sharpening/de-burring tool.
That's great for starters.

After you are comfortable then you can look in to more advanced
tools/techniques.

What I do is apply the wax when the board is room temperature.
Stick it outside for awhile if the temperature is cold.
Bring it in to scrape off excess wax.
Buff the wax with a clean cloth using firm pressure
Then use a firm bristled scrub brush to criss-cross the wax on the base
(wicks away the water between my board and the snow for a faster ride)
Wipe gently to remove the flakes made by the criss-crossing.

Just don't buy a board off the shelf, set it up and go ride. If you can
afford it, get the first wax/edge sharpening done professionally before your
first time out. The vast majority of companies only put enough wax on to
prevent the bases from drying out while sitting on display in a shop. Edges
are either too dull or razor sharp. Neither is good for a beginner.

Too dull and you slide all over the mountain trying to dig in a egde to
turn. Too sharp and you catch an edge every 2 seconds, fall on you face and
give up on snowboarding before you get to the bottom of the hill.

Old September 9th 05, 01:30 AM

....For tools, try www.tognar.com....

My younger borther gave me the #3 Pozidriv driver from Tognar for
Christmas last year, at my strong suggestion. I absolutely endorse
using this instead of a #3 Phillips. The Pozidriv is the correct tool
for the job.

I know this is OT, but there are ski bindings that I can't remove with
a #3 Phillips that I can easily remove using the #3 Pozidriv.

In the US, Snap-on Tools sells a #3 Pozidriv driver as well, but the
price is breathtaking. You can also buy an affordably-priced #3
Pozidriv bit from Snap-on.

Old September 9th 05, 03:57 PM
GoHabsGo

Thanks for all the info guys!
Old September 10th 05, 12:55 AM
Slaughterhouse

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Thanks for all the info guys!

Your welcome and hope you enjoy your season!

Old September 11th 05, 02:57 AM
Larry R. Wright

wrote in news:1126229405.705942.86450
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

...For tools, try
www.tognar.com....

My younger borther gave me the #3 Pozidriv driver from Tognar for
Christmas last year, at my strong suggestion. I absolutely endorse
using this instead of a #3 Phillips. The Pozidriv is the correct tool
for the job.

Are all snowboard bindings using Pozidriv screws? The ones that came
with my Flow FL55's look an awful lot like Phillips to me. This is not
a common tool in Canada - I looked at Home Depot, Canadian Tire and Lee
Valley and couldn't find one. Actually C.T. had one bundled with a
bunch of others for $50.00. Anywhere else to get one cheaper in Canada?

Thanks,

Larry
Old September 12th 05, 02:59 PM
Tiburon27

I've used a Phillips forever. They're fine and I've never stripped a head.
Just remember to not use the "pointy ended" Phillips'. The stubby headded
ones fit better.

Old September 20th 05, 04:13 PM

One mo

http://expn.go.com/snb/s/tunest.html