Chester's Somewhat Daily Report - 1/5/04 edition

Old January 7th 05, 09:08 PM
Chester Bullock

Default Chester's Somewhat Daily Report - 1/5/04 edition

Epic. I believe that is the way most skiers would describe the day I had
at Breckenridge on Wednesday (1/5). The snow report that morning
indicated 4" of new snow. I wasn't expecting much when I got to the
mountain, and wondered if it would be worth it during the nearly 2 hour
drive up from Denver. But since it was snowing so hard, I knew the day
would be worthwhile. I was all ready to ski at 9:37am, having ridden the
Beaver Run Superchair to the top of Peak 9, and stopped in the Peak 9
restaurant to get everything situated. I needed all of my cold-weather
gear, as the ambient temp was cold, and the wind was blowing
relentlessly too. Then I headed out, and lost myself in all the powder
for the next 4 1/2 hours. It was incredible. Blissfull. Hands down on of
my best powder days ever. Well, 2nd best actually. 1st was once when I
was working at Copper. But that is a story for a different day.
Wednesday I just skiied laps on Chair 6. Had 2 trails pretty much to
myself. Cutting fresh tracks through the deep powder on every turn. I
was in heaven. And around 1:45 I decided it was time to go. I was beat
since I am quite out of shape. But was it ever worth it...

----------------------
Chester Bullock,
If a million people say a foolish thing,
it is still a foolish thing.
- Jacques Anatole Thibault

Old January 8th 05, 04:24 PM
snoig

Epic? 2nd best?

Seriously Chester, you need to get out more. It was good on Wednesday but
not even close to great. If we get the snow they are predicting this week,
it should be better by the end of the week.

snoig

Old January 9th 05, 01:51 PM
Chester Bullock

snoig wrote:
Epic? 2nd best?

Seriously Chester, you need to get out more. It was good on Wednesday but
not even close to great. If we get the snow they are predicting this week,
it should be better by the end of the week.

Perhaps my memories and views are skewed by living in the city for too
long, but it really was a great day in my eyes. I did decide recently
though that I either need to move down south or to Utah. Wolf Creek and
Silverton both reportin 24" new this morning. Durango would be a good
place to live I think.

Old January 10th 05, 12:27 AM
snoig

snoig wrote:
Epic? 2nd best?

Seriously Chester, you need to get out more. It was good on Wednesday

but
not even close to great. If we get the snow they are predicting this

week,
it should be better by the end of the week.

Perhaps my memories and views are skewed by living in the city for too
long, but it really was a great day in my eyes. I did decide recently
though that I either need to move down south or to Utah. Wolf Creek and
Silverton both reportin 24" new this morning. Durango would be a good
place to live I think.

Oh, it was fun, no doubt. I was up there too, probably skied by each other
a couple of times. The question is, what is epic? For a start, I'd say you
have to have at least a double digit day. For me, my handfull of epic days
include several during the week in '95 when Breck got 100"+ in a week. And
one day at Burke Mtn. where it snowed at least 24" during the night and
another 24" during the day. Stopped in the rental shack to tighten a
binding and the guy there told us one trail "Bear's Den Ledges" was supposed
to open that day (it did) and it had not been open in seven years. I'd say
that's epic.

Skied Copper today with a friend who works for IntraWest. She took us all
over the mountain and boy was it fun. Spaulding Bowl is now partially open
and we did Patrol Chute which was fabulous. The front side was a bit better
than the back side since the wind was coming over the top and dropping new
snow on the front. This is the best week that Summit County has seen in a
long time so if anyone can call in 'well', Wednesday through Friday should
be the time to do it. OTOH, if you can get to Vail, Beaver Creek, Wolf
Creek etc. it's even better.

Had a friend who lives in Alta call me yesterday. He said this storm is
missing them, they only got 5 feet in the last week. Something like 300"+
so far for the season. Life sucks.

snoig

Old January 10th 05, 04:34 PM
snoig

"AstroPax" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:27:43 -0600, "snoig" wrote:

Had a friend who lives in Alta call me yesterday. He said this storm is
missing them, they only got 5 feet in the last week. Something like

300"+
so far for the season. Life sucks.

Hehehehehehe. Approximately 330", to be exact.

-Astro

Hmmm, may be time for a road trip.

snoig

Old January 10th 05, 04:59 PM
Bruno Melli

In article ,
Chester Bullock writes:
I was beat since I am quite out of shape. But was it ever worth it...

Hey, at least you lasted 4 1/2 hours instead of 2 runs like in your
original reports. It might be time to recalibrate the "Chester Day" meter :-)

bruno.

Old January 10th 05, 05:01 PM
Chester Bullock

Bruno Melli wrote:
In article ,
Chester Bullock writes:

I was beat since I am quite out of shape. But was it ever worth it...

Hey, at least you lasted 4 1/2 hours instead of 2 runs like in your
original reports. It might be time to recalibrate the "Chester Day" meter :-)

Seemed like even more than that since you and Mike weren't there to
poach any lines...

Chester

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
- John Wooden