RFID and Big Brother

Old September 30th 12, 03:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default RFID and Big Brother

In a Mammoth Forum discussion on the RFID lift gate system, one poster
brought up this point -

"

Trick electronic season pass cards

Postby skituner » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 am
The passes work alright. It is pretty good not having to dig out your
pass on a storm day.

The big prize is on the back end for the mtn. They collect all kinds
of data on their customer base. Age, days skied, where they ski on the
mtn, time spent on the mtn, spending habits (equipment if bought from
mtn shops w/ passcash, food, drink etc) all kinds of stuff.

Can you imagine how influential these numbers can be when approaching
a potential corporate sponsor? " We have X amount of customers in X
demographic using your product or can be exposed to your product blah,
blah, blah"

The partner money coming in could far outweigh the savings in
workforce, which if I remember hearing correctly were not greatly
affected by the RFIDs. Customers data and habits are gold."

This makes me wonder - shouldn't we the customers be getting some of
that "gold" back in the form of discounts or bonuses as compensation
for sharing our information?
Old September 30th 12, 04:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

Think you become over whelmed by the mass of data and the cost
associated with storage and mining it sounds ominous on paper but
reality is it is more of a dream.
Most companies have barely enough time to consolidate quarter reports
let start to do predictive mining on questionable data. Can you be sure
the person using the RFID is the person it belongs to?
I think the trend is to divest the company of consumer personal
information too many companies are taking the heat & lawsuits for giving
up personal information via hack or inside job.
Old September 30th 12, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Hey, freak?
Wasn't SPD supposed to be following me and gathering information about me to arrest, charge, convict, and prosecute me for humiliating you on a regular basis?
Certainly you have the contact info for the officer who was supposed to RFID me, right? Did he share any information with you?
Contact info?
How humiliating for you.
Have any comment on Horvath leaving the newsgroup in shame, terrified that his VFW drinking buddies would find out about him bragging on medals he had nothing to do with earning? Certainly you must be laughing at him, the same way I am.

Old September 30th 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

down_hill wrote:
Can you be
sure the person using the RFID is the person it belongs to?

Stevens Pass has people looking at your pictures on their display as you go
through the gate, so I think they have a pretty good idea on that.

That, with the penalty of losing your pass, probably discourages loaning of
passes pretty well.

Old September 30th 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

it was only a matter of time, *******s...
Old September 30th 12, 09:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

[...]

I sure wish somebody would share the real, verified name and location of this scumbag. Please?
Old October 1st 12, 12:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Bob F wrote:
down_hill wrote:
Can you be
sure the person using the RFID is the person it belongs to?

Stevens Pass has people looking at your pictures on their display as you go
through the gate, so I think they have a pretty good idea on that.

That, with the penalty of losing your pass, probably discourages loaning of
passes pretty well.

Gee that defeats the purpose of automation and reduced labor. Plus I was
thinking more of purchases for example a soda machine.
Old October 1st 12, 04:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sep 30, 7:42*pm, down_hill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
down_hill wrote:
Can you be
sure the person using the RFID is the person it belongs to?

Stevens Pass has people looking at your pictures on their display as you go
through the gate, so I think they have a pretty good idea on that.

That, with the penalty of losing your pass, probably discourages loaning of
passes pretty well.

Gee that defeats the purpose of automation and reduced labor. Plus I was
thinking more of purchases for example a soda machine.

Breckenridge does a scan with a handheld gadget that shows the picture
of the pass holder so they can tell if some else is using a pas other
than the original owner. Still faster than manually checking everyone.
Old October 1st 12, 04:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Sep 30, 1:43*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
down_hill wrote:
Can you be
sure the person using the RFID is the person it belongs to?

Stevens Pass has people looking at your pictures on their display as you go
through the gate, so I think they have a pretty good idea on that.

That, with the penalty of losing your pass, probably discourages loaning of
passes pretty well.

Soon after I got my pass I skied up to an RFID gate with no one else
around, and the attendant said "Good Morning, Richard". I was
guessing he got that off his display, so I asked him what he else it
showed about me. He said it was just name and picture.

After I got my first Big Bear season pass and went into the office
late Spring to renew for the nest year, I asked if they knew how many
days, They said yes and told me, then asked if I wanted to know which
days.

One downside, sort of - Snow Summit offers a free lift ticket on your
birthday. Last March was my 65th, and I wanted a dated souvenir.
However, I had to present a driver's license to get the freeby, and
when they ran it through their system they said they couldn't give me
one because I already had a season pass.
Old October 1st 12, 06:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
NormG

"down_hill" wrote in message

This makes me wonder - shouldn't we the customers be getting some of
that "gold" back in the form of discounts or bonuses as compensation
for sharing our information?

Think you become over whelmed by the mass of data and the cost associated
with storage and mining it sounds ominous on paper but reality is it is
more of a dream.
Most companies have barely enough time to consolidate quarter reports let
start to do predictive mining on questionable data. Can you be sure the
person using the RFID is the person it belongs to?
I think the trend is to divest the company of consumer personal
information too many companies are taking the heat & lawsuits for giving
up personal information via hack or inside job.

What you say in your final paragraph would be the common sense result of the
above, but its not the way it is. Using this data or not they are all
collecting and storing it. God only knows what they do or plan to do with
the information but its certainly there.

Does the Walmart in your area ask you your postal/Zip code when you make a
purchase? Not sure if its universal or not but if they do in Canada they
likely do there. I politely say "decline" and they all understand. As far as
I'm concerned there are other companies who pay me to learn my spending
habits thru points programs or whatever, if walmart wants to know where I'm
from they can make it worth my while same as the others.