measuring foot for ski boots-footbeds?

Old January 23rd 04, 06:28 PM
alex

Default measuring foot for ski boots-footbeds?

I like to buy used ski equipment and like to keep the amount of money
I spend on skiing down to a reasonable level. I'm having a hard time
finding any information on how one measure a foot to determine it's
size. It seems like all the ski boot reviews have info on general
sizes (toe volume, instep, heel...)which helps steer the buyer in a
general direction. This is great if you know where your foot is
compared to what the average or normal size. I know someone will tell
me to go to a boot fitter, and I might if necessary. Does anyone have
a chart, which tells the average width, instep, hieght, ankle... for a
foot that is XXX long? I'm sure that boot fitters have these resources
available to them, so they must be attainable.

thanks in advance - Alex.
Old January 23rd 04, 09:37 PM
lal_truckee

alex wrote:
I like to buy used ski equipment and like to keep the amount of money
I spend on skiing down to a reasonable level. I'm having a hard time
finding any information on how one measure a foot to determine it's
size. It seems like all the ski boot reviews have info on general
sizes (toe volume, instep, heel...)which helps steer the buyer in a
general direction. This is great if you know where your foot is
compared to what the average or normal size. I know someone will tell
me to go to a boot fitter, and I might if necessary. Does anyone have
a chart, which tells the average width, instep, hieght, ankle... for a
foot that is XXX long? I'm sure that boot fitters have these resources
available to them, so they must be attainable.

thanks in advance - Alex.

I bet some of the human measurement people have that info, online even,
if you look for it.
But it'll help little with bootfitting - each company has an "average"
foot that's different.

check out the "Tech Tips 1,2 & 3" at
http://www.realskiers.com/public/tech_tip_0.htm,
http://www.realskiers.com/public/tech_tip.htm, and
http://www.realskiers.com/public/tech_tip_3.htm for some discussion.

Probably more info than you ever wanted to know re boot-fitting. (note
weird url series for consecutive pages!)

Also check in google with some obvious searches - we've all had a go at
bootfitting recently ...

Old January 24th 04, 12:15 PM
Bowling_Guy

Checkout a site www.bootfitters.com

They suggest certain boots for different foot sizes. Ski boots are very
important. It's not fun to ski in pain! Go to a store and try on many
different brands.
om...

Old January 27th 04, 09:27 PM
the outfitter

And you want to buy ski boots this way???

Truly the safest way to buy ski boots is to try them on and figure out what
actually fits on your feet.

I would suggest going to a couple ski shops that carry new AND used
equipment and, at a minimum, get a good idea of what works for your feet.

Otherwise, you will save money buying used boots based on 'size' and end up
'paying' later becuase they are either unusable or so painful you have a
horrible time.

om...

foot steering? copek Snowboarding 2 January 31st 04 02:22 AM
measuring foot for ski boots-footbeds? alex General 4 January 27th 04 09:27 PM
Good Indo on Decks, Boots, and Bindings?? Barry Dinglehopper Snowboarding 4 January 2nd 04 03:25 PM
Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider Brett Snowboarding 11 October 7th 03 02:02 AM
Salomon boots Biff Snowboarding 10 October 6th 03 09:17 AM