Detuning

Old November 15th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jack O

Default Detuning

I'm kind of new at snowboarding, with about 2 seasons of experience,
and I got a new board last year - a Burton Custom X. I can ride some
pretty steep stuff with ease, but often crash and burn when I have to
ride flat, like on cat tracks. This is embarrassing and dangerous.
The scariest place for me is at a local hill where there is a tunnel
that is usually glare ice. If I get the slightest bit sideways in the
tunnel, I'm in for a body slam when I come out.

I noticed that my new board has sharp edges all the way around. Will
detuning the board from the effective edge toward the tip and tail
help this situation? If so, exactly where do you start detuning?

Thanks,
Jack
Old November 25th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

Jack O wrote:
I'm kind of new at snowboarding, with about 2 seasons of experience,
and I got a new board last year - a Burton Custom X. I can ride some
pretty steep stuff with ease, but often crash and burn when I have to
ride flat, like on cat tracks. This is embarrassing and dangerous.
The scariest place for me is at a local hill where there is a tunnel
that is usually glare ice. If I get the slightest bit sideways in the
tunnel, I'm in for a body slam when I come out.

I noticed that my new board has sharp edges all the way around. Will
detuning the board from the effective edge toward the tip and tail
help this situation? If so, exactly where do you start detuning?

It might help a little, but really you just need to develop the skill.
Try running it always a little on edge in those conditions. Eventually
you will be able to run a flat base. The trick is to be able to relax
and not put any input into the board, yet be able to react if the
terrain demands it.

Neil
Old November 27th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jack O

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:35:06 -0600, Neil Gendzwill
wrote:
It might help a little, but really you just need to develop the skill.

Thanks Neil,

I was afraid of that. It's so strange to me that I can cut some
pretty good turns on steep terrain, but cringe at the thought of
flats. Maybe I just need to relax a bit.

Jack
Old November 27th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

wrote:
It might help a little, but really you just need to develop the skill.

Thanks Neil,

I was afraid of that. It's so strange to me that I can cut some
pretty good turns on steep terrain, but cringe at the thought of
flats. Maybe I just need to relax a bit.

Just remember to put a little pressure on one edge or the other on the flats. It
doesn't take much. A truly flat board tends to wander a bit. All it has to do is
turn a tiny bit to catch an edge. A tiny bit of edge pressure will prevent this.

Old December 22nd 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

It might help a little, but really you just need to develop the skill.
Try running it always a little on edge in those conditions. *Eventually
you will be able to run a flat base. *The trick is to be able to relax
and not put any input into the board, yet be able to react if the
terrain demands it.

I agree with Neil. A flat board will follow the natural camber and you
can catch it if it misbehaves. Relaxing into it isn't always easy but
it comes with time.

I'm no expert at setting up a board, but it does sound to me like it
needs detuning, from your description - maybe have a shop look at it
for you?
Old December 22nd 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jack O

I agree with Neil. A flat board will follow the natural camber and you
can catch it if it misbehaves. Relaxing into it isn't always easy but
it comes with time.

I'm no expert at setting up a board, but it does sound to me like it
needs detuning, from your description - maybe have a shop look at it
for you?

Thanks. I think that I am catching on. Before I left for SLC Utah
last week, I detuned just slightly as I was instructed by my local
shop. After a few days at Brighton and Solitude, my confidence on the
flats was much increased and I didn't worry about it anymore. Just
being more relaxed seemed to help a lot.

BTW, conditions were great!

Thanks,
Jack
Old December 22nd 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On 22 Dec, 19:51, Jack O wrote:
I agree with Neil. A flat board will follow the natural camber and you
can catch it if it misbehaves. Relaxing into it isn't always easy but
it comes with time.

I'm no expert at setting up a board, but it does sound to me like it
needs detuning, from your description - maybe have a shop look at it
for you?

Thanks. *I think that I am catching on. *Before I left for SLC Utah
last week, I detuned just slightly as I was instructed by my local
shop. *After a few days at Brighton and Solitude, my confidence on the
flats was much increased and I didn't worry about it anymore. *Just
being more relaxed seemed to help a lot.

BTW, conditions were great!

Thanks,
Jack

Good to hear!

I'm over in Europe and conditions are off to a flyer this season here
too - opposite to last year.

Happy boarding!

Detuning? Waxing? SHRED Snowboarding 7 November 29th 05 06:12 AM
Detuning edges for rails Jay Snowboarding 5 December 1st 04 12:11 AM
Detuning, etc. David Snowboarding 14 November 12th 04 04:05 PM