Carving Problems

Old February 24th 05, 11:05 PM
lonerider

Waco Paco wrote:
Neil Gendzwill wrote:

Baka Dasai wrote:

To get my weight over the rear of the board to carve the last part

of
the turn cleanly, I have to avoid rotating my upper body.

I notice watching the soft-boot guys who carve hard, that their

bodies
are usually lined up with their binding angles. I think

over-rotation
of your upperbody and low angles don't mix much.

To the original poster - looks like you're overloading and folding

the
nose on a board that's too short and probably too soft for your

weight.
Fixing your technique to not overload the nose is a good thing but

you
may be getting to be too much rider for that little board.

Neil

Ya, I think I'm noticing that I may be using the board for the wrong
type of riding. It's engineered to be a park/freestyle board not so

much
of a carver. I think it wasn't meant to be ripped down a hill going

at a
high speed. But the board is engineered for 230+ lb riders...

well maybe I'll get a freeride board next

stu

You've never mention how much you weight. The Alibi is a park/pipe
board specific board and the softer flex midflex and the tighter
sidecut (sub 8m) really will tend to force the board into a very tight,
hard turn - overflexing the soft middle of the board at the highest G
part of the turn (3/4 of the carve) and then the board bends too much
to maintain a carve and just digs in). I've had this happen to me on
som ~7.5m softish boards when trying to carve hard on them (Burton
Custom, Prior AMF, Burton Fish). I would suggest moving to a
freestyle/freeride board that that tries allow for both styles of
riding.

Old February 25th 05, 01:01 AM
Waco Paco

lonerider wrote:

Waco Paco wrote:

Neil Gendzwill wrote:

Baka Dasai wrote:

[...]

I meant to say that I'm 180 lb 5'8"

Old February 25th 05, 01:01 AM
Waco Paco

lonerider wrote:

Waco Paco wrote:

Neil Gendzwill wrote:

Baka Dasai wrote:

[...]

Oh right I also meant to say that there's a 4th layer of glass that runs
between the bindings.
Old February 25th 05, 02:09 AM
lonerider

Waco Paco wrote:
I meant to say that I'm 180 lb 5'8"

Well you are in the middle of the weight range. As Neil has explained
as what you have sensed, I don't think this board is really designed
for fast, hard carving despite what the company says (they do suggest
moving the binding farther back for "big mountain" riding). The sidecut
is just too tight and the middle too soft to do fast hard carves...
That's just my opinion though.