Coiler AM/Tanker 2K impressions

Old February 21st 05, 03:31 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Default Coiler AM/Tanker 2K impressions

Just got back from a week in Panorama with my brand new AM172, 21.5 cm
waist. Conditions were rock hard and it wasn't uncommon to see blue ice.
One of the instructors I talked to said it was typical Ontario
conditions (where he was from). Any problems with edge hold were purely
mine - the conditions were certainly revealing any technical problems I
have. The AM is quite a bit stiffer than my older Prior 4WD and much
less inclined to be skidded or ridden lazily at all. OTOH if I was on
top of it there was no washing out or folding or any other problems I
had due to the Prior being too soft for my weight (it was a short one).
I'm anxious to get it in more typical Western conditions and see how it
does, right now I have no clue how it behaves as an all-rounder as there
was no soft snow and only a few small icy bumps. It was good in what
bumps I found, but they were not going to be fun nor matter what the
setup. Hope to be in Banff next month.

I also had my new (to me) Tanker 200 and was thoroughly impressed. The
Tanker with old Intec RS bindings weighs the same as the AM with
Titanflex bindings - and it's 28 cm longer and 3 cm wider! It is of
course quite a bit more forgiving. Once you get used to the
width/length, it's surprisingly easy to toss around and rails on the
hardpack no problem. I loved it!

You can see a (very) brief movie of the AM in action he
http://www.kendo-sask.com/Toeside.avi The videographer was my 12 year
old daughter with a digicam in video mode - quality is as you'd expect

Neil

Old February 21st 05, 06:47 PM

It's interesting that there's so much variation to the AM line. Mine
skids around quite easily.

I finally got out for another day of riding, giving me 4 total this
season :/, and got some carves going on it. The thing definately holds.
It's also quite mellow when things get all wrong... I'm still not
really used to when it starts to snap and how hard it snaps, so
saterday at one point I got a little vigerous stomping the transition
on it durring a toeside and threw myself over onto the other edge far
more quickly than I expected, but with just some twisting and
contorting, the tail lets go and I got the board around under me as I
skidded it out, saving me from a face first dump at some decent speed.

Anyhow, there were at least 10 times I said to myself "how the heck did
I not just eat it right then." Mine eats chop so good it's dangerous,
I'm not even really bothering to look at what I'm about to ride over
when bombing something.

I'm _really_ liking it. If we could just get some damn snow up here I'd
learn _so_ much on this board this season.

Old February 21st 05, 08:46 PM
Mike T

It's interesting that there's so much variation to the AM line. Mine
skids around quite easily.

That's customization for ya! My 182 doesn't like to skid much, but it
wasn't designed to.

Old February 21st 05, 09:58 PM

I mooch'd off MikeT's toolshop, so I believe mine has a full 1 degree
bevel on the base.

And actually, the line between 'skid' and 'carve' is part of what I'm
talking about when I say it's very controlible... with just a little
bit of anlkle flex one way or the other, you can get it to do just what
you want. So for example you can let the tail go so that the nose comes
up to catch you if you get over-inclined a touch.

A couple of times saterday I broke at the waist and let my body get to
far inside the turn, I was able to rescue it just by gritting and
flexing my ankles in my boot for all I was worth.

I would have killed for video of myself saterday. There were a couple
turns in there, one heelside in particular that just felt _perfect_,
like I finally got my body to do everything everyone's told me. It'd be
interesting to see what that was like from the outside.

jason