Has anyone tried snowkiting?

Old November 17th 04, 10:11 PM
UalbertaStudent

Default Has anyone tried snowkiting?

I recently took up kiteboarding and was I have seen videos of people
snowkiting and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I was wondering
if anyone has tried this and if the equiptment needed is the same?
Old November 17th 04, 10:40 PM
Waco Paco

UalbertaStudent wrote:
I recently took up kiteboarding and was I have seen videos of people
snowkiting and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I was wondering
if anyone has tried this and if the equiptment needed is the same?

I can't see why the kite equipment would be different (obviously you use
a snowboard). I've seen this done in person as I was driving to Lake
Louise from banff last feb, and his equipment looked like the other
kiteboarders' in and around Toronto. I guess you'll just need to
readjust the harness to fit around your shell.

-stu
Old November 17th 04, 10:51 PM
Dmitry

"UalbertaStudent" wrote

I recently took up kiteboarding and was I have seen videos of people
snowkiting and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I was wondering
if anyone has tried this and if the equiptment needed is the same?

Foil kites are preferable for snowkiting (like B-series slingers), but LEI
kites work fine too. I haven't tried it yet, but looks like this year things
are coming together much better than last year so hopes are high.

Old November 18th 04, 09:16 AM
cupra

UalbertaStudent wrote:
I recently took up kiteboarding and was I have seen videos of people
snowkiting and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I was wondering
if anyone has tried this and if the equiptment needed is the same?

Planning to buy one to take on my next trip....
Old November 18th 04, 09:40 AM
David Brown

I've taken a few of my kites with me when I've been snowboarding but never
found an open flat area to play on, bloody mountains and ski lifts get in
the way ;o)
Definately will be trying if we get snow in the UK this year.
--
kitemap
http://kitemap.co.uk

Old November 22nd 04, 03:45 PM
toddjb

(UalbertaStudent) wrote in message om...
I recently took up kiteboarding and was I have seen videos of people
snowkiting and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I was wondering
if anyone has tried this and if the equiptment needed is the same?

Check out
http://www.kiteforum.com/

They have a snowkiting forum and can likely answer all your questions,
-todd

(started kiteboarding this year as well. I'll probably start
"snowkiting" by taking my 3M trainer out on a windy day. It can pull
me around a wet field on my ass so it should be enough to give
snowkiting a first try.)