Whistler/Blackcomb Comments?

Old October 14th 03, 08:42 PM
John

Default Whistler/Blackcomb Comments?

We're looking to go Whistler/Blackcomb and have read as many bad
articles as good ones.

What are your thoughts on the area? When to go? Where to stay?
Weather?

Thanks in advance.
Old October 16th 03, 11:56 AM
John

James,

My family and I have gone to Vail, colorado every year for the past
few and honestly believe that there is no place better. The snow is
great, the slopes are huge and have plenty for every level whether
you're a skier or snowboarder. The village itself is magic and is very
similar to a european ski town in Austria. The would certainly suggest
Vail, colorado. We usually stay at the Vail Cascade which has it's own
ski lift so the lines are never very long (a huge plus).

Then why are we considering Whistler? You may ask. Well, We've never
been to canada and heard the whistler is the 2nd best ski resort in N.
America (2nd to Vail).
We've heard a few bad things about the weather changing rapidly, other
than that it seems worthwhile.

For your point of view, take a look at vail. You won't be sorry.

JJ
Old November 2nd 03, 12:12 AM
Fred Wolf

I;ve heard too many stories about great snow on top and rain at the bottom,,
but that;s the only problem I;ve heard of

I love Aspen, Co and the cruising at Snowmass is great,,,also Snowbird /
Alta is great

Old November 3rd 03, 04:24 PM
Craig

(John) wrote in message . com...
We're looking to go Whistler/Blackcomb and have read as many bad
articles as good ones.

What are your thoughts on the area? When to go? Where to stay?
Weather?

Thanks in advance.

I have been making 2 trips a year to Whistler/Blackcomb for the past 5
years now, and up until recently was my favorite place to ski (St
Anton, Austria is my current favorite).

Late January, early February is probably the best time to go, but even
in May I have skied in 10" of fresh powder. I prefer to stay in
Whistler Village, being within walking distance of the lifts. Just
check out the hotel location on a map to see if it is located in the
upper village. The Pan Pacific Lodge is ideal, but a bit pricey.

As for the weather, you may not see the sun, and low clouds add
excitement to the terrain. Rain in the village is a good sign, it is
snowing at the peek. I typically ski the peek and harmony at
Whistler, where conditions are usually good. Blackcomb offers some
great skiing as well, with the backside glacier and Spanky's ladder.
Only at days end do I ski down to the lower half of the mountain.

Also with the Canadian dollar being a little weak against the US for
the past few years (stronger now), it is very good value for the
dollar. Whistler also attracts its fair share of ski bums and extreme
type skiers, further attesting to the challenge and vastness of the
terrain.

As I like to ski with as few people as possible on the hill, my advice
is to stay away! Ski Vail, it is almost as good.
Old November 4th 03, 10:27 PM
Spider

(Craig) wrote in message . com...
(John) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Can you direct us to some discount-travel websites that might offer
package deals. I looked at whistler's own website any ZOUNDS those
prices looked as high as the latitude there..

Old November 5th 03, 03:08 AM
Craig

(Spider) wrote in message . com...
(Craig) wrote in message . com...
(John) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I used priceline.com for the hotel on my last trip, and then when I
got to the hotel upgraded for another $15 CDN per night to a suite
with a kitchen. That saved me a lot on food. You might want to check
out:

http://pub210.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding

This will give you access to the latest bids people are winning on
priceline and if you go to the Canada - British Columbia (Vancouver,
Victoria) under hotels you will see some info re Whistler.
Old November 5th 03, 04:30 PM
Spider

(Craig) wrote in message . com...
(Spider) wrote in message . com...
(Craig) wrote in message . com...
(John) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Thanks Craig good tip- I'm on there now. Interesting there are ZERO
report for hotels in Jackson WY. Sounds like Whistler might be a
better option anyhow...

Old November 5th 03, 05:24 PM
AlpineZone.com

Hi there,

Take a look at our ski and stay packages:

http://lodging.alpinezone.com/ski_and_stay_packages.htm

Hope this helps!