Sun Valley suggestions?

Old January 11th 06, 04:30 AM

Default Sun Valley suggestions?

I was thinking about doing Sun Valley this year. Anybody have
suggestions about where to stay, etc? I always prefer to stay in town,
with restaurants and bars within walking distance, while at the same
time being able to grab a shuttle or whatever to the mountain in the AM.

I'm a little confused about Ketchum, Hailey, Warm Springs, etc. Where
are they in relationship to each other, and to the mountain? And any
ideas for good hotels?

Dave
Old January 11th 06, 05:50 PM

Dave Stallard writes:

I was thinking about doing Sun Valley this year.

Good idea.

There are two mountains: Baldy and Dollar. Dollar is a smallish hill
mostly used for kids', beginner and intermediate instruction.

Baldy is a serious mountain; one of the most serious in the US. One
of its best features is that virtually the whole mountain is
top-to-bottom runs. If you like groomed, there's plenty of that
(including some groomed blacks for really ripping). There are
excellent bowls and trees and plenty of ungroomed.

I'm partial to Limelight for speed, the bowls for powder, Frenchman's
for ungroomed laps, Holiday for bumps and International for trees and
all-round fun. The runs off the cat track to Seattle Ridge are a gas.
Seattle Ridge is nice for relaxing runs. If you want really serious
bumps, go for Arnolds.

Because of the way the mountain is laid out, there's always good
skiing somewhere on Baldy.

Perhaps the nicest thing about Baldy is that there are no ******s.
The boarders know what they're doing and don't just scrape up the
mountain. The novices stay on Dollar. People ski very fast and very
hard, but I've never seen anyone out of control. The minimum and
average skill levels are as high as anyplace I've skied, other than
maybe Alta.

The lines are nearly nonexistent.

Anybody have suggestions about where to stay, etc? I always prefer
to stay in town, with restaurants and bars within walking distance,
while at the same time being able to grab a shuttle or whatever to
the mountain in the AM.

Ketchum is the best ski town, and indeed the best town near a ski
hill, in the Western Hemisphere. It's a real place (unlike Vail), and
hasn't become a cross between the Hamptons and Disneyland (like Aspen
and Jackson).

The eating in Ketchum is as good as any ski town in North America
(including Aspen and Jackson). There is a raft of terrific eateries
and restaurants, from the very simple to the extraordinary. (I live in
Manhattan, and there are a dozen Manhattan-quality restaurants in
Ketchum).

I'm partial to the Kneadery for breakfast. I have lunch either at the
on-slope lodges (which are indeed the best in North America) or at the
hotdog stand or Wrapcity at the Warm Spring base. If I'm taking a
break from skiing, I go to Christines.

For dinner, I go to the Pioneer, the Ketchum Grill, the Sawtooth,
Sushi on Second (as good as any sushi in New York or Seattle) and the
Asian place on Main (whose name escapes me). Warm Springs Ranch is
fun and good (go for the trout). My son is partial to Desperados. The
Christiania is the top of the line, but it's not my style when I'm
skiing.

I'm a little confused about Ketchum, Hailey, Warm Springs, etc. Where
are they in relationship to each other, and to the mountain?

Ketchum wraps around the east and north sides of Baldy. There are two
base areas, Warm Springs and River Run.

Warm Springs is on the north side of Baldy. It has limited parking,
but is served by the town shuttle busses. There's a base lodge with a
very nice dining room and patio, and live music in the afternoon.
There are independent shops on Picabo Street. (Yes, she's named after
street). I outfit and store at Paul Kenney's on Picabo (say hi to
Scooter and the guys for me).

River Run is on the east side of Baldy (and the west side of
Ketchum). The base area has lots of parking, a dropoff area and a
parking shuttle. There's nothing there except the base lodge, but it
has a couple of nice shops and a very nice dining room and outside
eating and drinking area.

The Sun Valley resort village (around the Lodge and Inn) is not at the
mountain. It's a couple of miles northeast of Ketchum, separated by
some hills. It is self-contained, with shops and restaurants. The
Lodge runs a frequent shuttle to town, River Run, Warm Springs and
Dollar. There are some developments (Elkhorn, eg) east of the resort
village.

The Dollar ski area is near the resort village.

Hailey is a bedroom town about 15 miles south (down the valley) from
Ketchum. The airport is in Hailey. The airport is very frequently
closed; they bus you to and from Twin Falls. Other than the airport
and a drive-in, there's not much going on, although there are a couple
of hotels down there.

And any ideas for good hotels?

We stay at a friend's house, so I'm just going on impressions he

The Sun Valley Lodge and Inn are quite nice -- old-fashioned in a nice
way. When you're Averill Harriman, you can build a pretty nice spot
to keep your friends. As nice as any place short of, say, the
Ritz-Carlton at Bachelor Gulch. They are at the resort village, not
in town, though.

The Knob Hill is very nice and is on the edge of downtown.

The Lift Tower looks like it might be a real gas.

There are a couple of nice looking Best Westerns. The Tamarack and the
Clarion look like they're OK, too.

There are lots of condos and houses for rent.

--
dhs
Old January 18th 06, 01:58 AM

David Spencer wrote:

[snip]

Thanks for the writeup, David! I'll definitely check out your
suggestions and recommendations. I just booked a trip on Saturday
through their Central Reservations for the week after next. The easiest
booking I've ever done.

Dave
Old January 18th 06, 04:54 AM

Dave Stallard wrote:
David Spencer wrote:

[snip]

Thanks for the writeup, David! I'll definitely check out your
suggestions and recommendations. I just booked a trip on Saturday
through their Central Reservations for the week after next. The
easiest booking I've ever done.

Be sure to have a wander around the big main hotel in Ketchum. I can never
remember its name. Sun Valley Hotel? It's old, and graceful, wood with
persian rugs, and amazing photos of all the famous people who've been there,
right back into the olden days. It's really something.

And, there's an excellent 2nd hand shop near there, it might even be a
thrift-type shop, but the stuff in there and the prices are great. Lots of
nifty ski stuff.

--
ant

Old January 18th 06, 09:03 PM

ant wrote:
Dave Stallard wrote:
David Spencer wrote:

[snip]

Thanks for the writeup, David! I'll definitely check out your
suggestions and recommendations. I just booked a trip on Saturday
through their Central Reservations for the week after next. The
easiest booking I've ever done.

Be sure to have a wander around the big main hotel in Ketchum. I can never
remember its name. Sun Valley Hotel? It's old, and graceful, wood with
persian rugs, and amazing photos of all the famous people who've been there,
right back into the olden days. It's really something.

I think you mean the Sun Valley Lodge? The original Harriman ski lodge
out near Dollar Hill, not in town nor near Baldy where the real skiing
is, these days. Most (all?) of those old pictures showing 30s movie
stars skiing are on Dollar, what we would call a bunny hill these days.
But they do look like they were having fun, don't they?

Worth a visit, particularly if you're an aficionado of early skiing.