Duracell bunnies at Liberec

Old March 2nd 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Duracell bunnies at Liberec

It's hard not to be impressed with Therese Johaug and Valentina
Schevchenko's performances at Liberec. High turnover with short glide
neither looks very good nor seems aerobically efficient, since there's
little if any rest phase. The differences between them and the others
were particularly stark watching the lead pack in the 30K skate.
Shevchenko is nearing the end of her career, which has had lots of ups
and downs in terms of results. I wonder how long or how consistently
the 21 year old Johaug can keep it up this way in the years to come.
Perhaps Terje or someone else in Scandinavia has some background on how
she developed this style. I assume national coaches have the same
question about the future.

Gene
Old March 3rd 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" wrote:

wrote:
It's hard not to be impressed with Therese Johaug and Valentina
Schevchenko's performances at Liberec. High turnover with short glide
neither looks very good nor seems aerobically efficient, since there's
little if any rest phase. The differences between them and the others
were particularly stark watching the lead pack in the 30K skate.
Shevchenko is nearing the end of her career, which has had lots of ups
and downs in terms of results. I wonder how long or how consistently
the 21 year old Johaug can keep it up this way in the years to come.
Perhaps Terje or someone else in Scandinavia has some background on how
she developed this style. I assume national coaches have the same
question about the future.

I think in Johaug's case it is mostly a case of skiing as fast as
possible with a very low body weight (low muscle mass).

I do agree that it looks almost funny, just like those rabbit commercials.
:-)

I would think that higher turnover means she's using weaker muscles
(arms) more and stronger muscles (upper legs) less. What do I know,
but if I had low muscle mass - maybe I do - the idea of longer glide
seems appealing.

Gene
Old March 6th 09, 11:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mar 2, 5:40*pm, wrote:
It's hard not to be impressed with Therese Johaug and Valentina
Schevchenko's performances at Liberec. *High turnover with short glide
neither looks very good nor seems aerobically efficient,
Gene

At least, high turnover is aerobically efficient for Lance Armstrong
on a bike
So what ?

Maybe they are on something there. More effective muscle usage that
could benefit even to the big guys.
Where's Ken Roberts ?