SNCF March Tickets to the Alps

Old November 12th 03, 01:39 PM
Steve Haigh

Default SNCF March Tickets to the Alps

Michael MacClancy wrote:

Was meinst Du damit? Dass es eine NG geben wird, die nur von Englaender
besucht wird? Das wuerde mich nicht interessieren, weil ich Erfahrungen aus
anderen Laender schaetze. Ich finde es nur seltsam, dass jemand ein
franzoesisches Wort benutzt, wenn es ein gutes englische Wort gibt und er
weiss, dass es dieses Wort gibt. In dieser NG wird fast ausschliesslich
Englisch geschrieben.

Actually, "du" is no longer capitalised in German. I think that this is
a fairly recent change so it is possible that your spell checker didn't
pick it up.

Old November 12th 03, 01:39 PM
David Off

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message . com...
I've heard that these TGVs are very crowded, expensive, and difficult
to get tickets for, so a few questions:

Not my experience at all! Crowded? If you consider a full car crowded,
sure, all seats may be taken, but as far as I know, they don't allow
non-seated riders (no standing-room-only situations).

That's not true. Grand Voyager can board any train they like, also
you can be on 'overbooking' - I think this is around 4 people per
coach. Also people just jump aboard, on peak periods they have staff
to stop this. They will usually stand between the corridors but
evenings out of Paris can be real chaos if you want luggage space for
lots of ski gear... arrive 30 minutes before the train leaves to make
you life easier. I've been on a train with seating for 800 that
actually had 1200 people on board due to a cancellation of the
preceeding train due to the weather conditions.

Fridays and Saturdays to the ski resorts can be a bit crazy but it
generally works out okay in my experience.

Difficult to get tickets for? Not my experience
at all... you just go into any SNCF station for standard tickets...

You should reserve your tickets at least 2 weeks, and possibly and
month in advance. Since the 35 hour week was introduced it has been
much more difficult to get tickets from Paris.

If you want the best price reserve the second the seats are available
2 months in advance. You can get the tickets sent to you in the UK I
think if you order through the SNCF. Quite a lot of staff speak
English and there is the web site.

I believe they offer tickets only 90 days in advance.

No it is two months, even with my Carte de Grand Voyager.
Old November 12th 03, 01:42 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Ace" wrote in message

Really? You think it's better if each language has its own names for
foreign cities and countries, do you? Or is it just that everyone else
should use the English word?

This is the case anyways. Esimerkiksi minä asun Suomessa enkä missään
Finlan[n]dissa. Enklantia puhun ainoastaan tarpeen vaatiessa. Sellaisia
tarpeita ei onneksi niin paljoa ole. Ulkomaan pellet enemmän praattaavat
enklantia. On tullut käytyä Tukholmassa, Kööpenhaminassa Lontoossa yms.
Mexicans often visit cities like Nueva York.

Old November 12th 03, 01:51 PM
Michael MacClancy

"jcoulter" wrote in message
. 204.17...

And the use of
Peking and Bombay is nothing short of a colonialist attempt to retain
control of independant nations.

Oh, and that's the reason why the French call London 'Londres', is it?
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 12th 03, 02:22 PM
Jeremy Mortimer

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in
:

Anyway,
when

you're
writing English why not write English? They're the Alps.

Was meinst Du damit? Dass es eine NG geben wird, die nur von
Englaender besucht wird? Das wuerde mich nicht interessieren, weil
ich Erfahrungen aus anderen Laender schaetze. Ich finde es nur
seltsam, dass jemand ein franzoesisches Wort benutzt, wenn es ein
gutes englische Wort gibt und er weiss, dass es dieses Wort gibt. In
dieser NG wird fast ausschliesslich Englisch geschrieben.
___
Michael MacClancy

Was ist ein "NG"?

Jeremy
Old November 12th 03, 02:36 PM
Michael MacClancy

"Jeremy Mortimer" wrote in message

Was ist ein "NG"?

Jeremy

NG=News Group. Newsgroup seems to be widely used in German but if there's a
better expression let me know. BTW, it's 'eine Newsgroup'.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 12th 03, 03:27 PM
Michael MacClancy

"John Wilcock" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:51:17 -0000, Michael MacClancy wrote:
"jcoulter" wrote in message
. 204.17...

And the use of
Peking and Bombay is nothing short of a colonialist attempt to retain
control of independant nations.

Oh, and that's the reason why the French call London 'Londres', is it?

That must be it. After all London was ruled by the French in the years
after 1066!

John.

LOL. But I doubt that even the English called 'London' 'London' in 1066.
Although I could well be mistaken.

It's always struck me as peculiar that English speakers tend to have
anglicised names for many cities and countries but this doesn't seem to
apply to France. I can't think of a single French town that has a different
English name. Are there any? (Swiss towns don't count.) We even seem to
use French names for some 'Flemish' Belgian towns.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 12th 03, 04:53 PM
BrritSki

Michael MacClancy wrote:

"Paul Schofield" wrote in message
.. .

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message
"Ian Spare" wrote in message

Well, I've been skiing in the French Alpes (and for that matter the

rest
of
the Alpes)

In which case you probably weren't in the 'Alpes'. You could have been

in
the Alpen, Alpi or whatever the Slovenians and others call their parts

of
the Alps. Or do you only ski in French speaking areas? Anyway, when

you're
writing English why not write English? They're the Alps.

Heh there's going to be a newsgroup just made for you - coming soon -

don't
watch this space :-)

Was meinst Du damit? Dass es eine NG geben wird, die nur von Englaender
besucht wird? Das wuerde mich nicht interessieren, weil ich Erfahrungen aus
anderen Laender schaetze. Ich finde es nur seltsam, dass jemand ein
franzoesisches Wort benutzt, wenn es ein gutes englische Wort gibt und er
weiss, dass es dieses Wort gibt. In dieser NG wird fast ausschliesslich
Englisch geschrieben.

Why suddenly switch from posting in English to German ? Is it a desire
to make
communication difficult? Are you trying to demonstrate some sort of
intellectual superiority over the rest of us?
Old November 12th 03, 05:07 PM
Bob C

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message And
the use of
Peking and Bombay is nothing short of a colonialist attempt to retain
control of independant nations.

Oh, and that's the reason why the French call London 'Londres', is it?

Peking was never a British colony either, though Lord Elgin did go up and
burn the summer palace.
Peking was just an attempt to render the capital of the middle country
phonetically in English from I think the cantonese dialect.

Bob

Old November 12th 03, 05:09 PM
MoonMan

In , BrritSki typed:
Michael MacClancy wrote:

snip

Why suddenly switch from posting in English to German ? Is it a desire
to make
communication difficult? Are you trying to demonstrate some sort of
intellectual superiority over the rest of us?

Don't suggest that, or Geraint will start posting in welsh and all our PC's
will run out of 'c's and 'l's

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!