Grand Massif - Snow report

Old March 12th 06, 09:49 PM

Default Grand Massif - Snow report

Got back from les Carroz on Saturday 11th. Huge amounts of snow were
dumped on the area throughout last week. Amazing skiing conditions, but
combined with pretty awful weather. Out of six days we saw the sun for
about 3 hours in total. Most of the time we skiied in a snow storm!
Very heavy rain for 24 hours midweek looked set to ruin the fun, but
within a day we had loads more snow and the night we returned there was
another 8 inches and still dumping. When the snow stops and the sun
comes out it will be fabulous.

General views on Les Carroz and Flaine. - We went to LC because we
wanted the Flaine skiing but without the architecture. In retrospect
this was a mistake. LC is a characterless village with little charm. In
future I'll just stay in Flaine. More compact, better access to the
lifts etc.

Rerstaurants in LC were pretty good, but amazingly busy. Couldn't go
out to dinner on the last two nights as everywhere was fully booked.
Limited choice on a Monday as many are shut.

Old March 13th 06, 04:38 PM

Lord knows how he got the tan. Probably on a sunbed at the spa on one
of the rainy days! Mind you I saw a cpl of Brits with faces like
beetroots, although I'm 90% certain that was because they weren't
covering their faces up during the day as the snow and ice was blasting
acroos the slopes. More frostbite or dermabrasion than a tan!

Old March 19th 06, 04:12 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Got back from les Carroz on Saturday 11th. Huge amounts of snow were
dumped on the area throughout last week. Amazing skiing conditions, but
combined with pretty awful weather. Out of six days we saw the sun for
about 3 hours in total. Most of the time we skiied in a snow storm!
Very heavy rain for 24 hours midweek looked set to ruin the fun, but
within a day we had loads more snow and the night we returned there was
another 8 inches and still dumping. When the snow stops and the sun
comes out it will be fabulous.

We were lucky enough to be in Les Carroz/Grand Massif last week. Arrived
Sunday night to a week of blue skies and great conditions (Making up for a
13 hour delay, after a cancelled flight from Liverpool, all due to 2 inches
of snow on the ground. The French would be laughing at us!).

General views on Les Carroz and Flaine. - We went to LC because we
wanted the Flaine skiing but without the architecture. In retrospect
this was a mistake. LC is a characterless village with little charm. In
future I'll just stay in Flaine. More compact, better access to the
lifts etc.

We thought the opposite. we were really taken by LC as it seemed to be a
place with a heart. At the moment it is the one place I've been in France
where I'd actually consider buying.

Rerstaurants in LC were pretty good, but amazingly busy. Couldn't go
out to dinner on the last two nights as everywhere was fully booked.
Limited choice on a Monday as many are shut.

Agreed, booking was a must.