A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

cee-2's big BIG week in Sun Valley

Old January 20th 04, 09:09 PM
Chris Cline
external usenet poster

Default cee-2's big BIG week in Sun Valley

--0-1892096338-1074632815=:72848
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Hi All-

After years of reading of Jay T's big workouts, I finally feel like I have something to add to this category. Here is a summary of my big week of skiing in the Sun Valley area.

I was lucky enough to get to do two "back-to-back" yurt trips at the Galena Lodge yurts. For those who don't know, yurts are circular tents of Mongolian origin, where the canvas is stretched over a wooden frame. If you've never seen one, Google it. Galena Lodge's yurts are a relatively luxurious variation, with windows, sky lights, futons, and warm wood stoves. And only about 1/4 mile (mostly uphill) from the lodge, which features good food and beverages, a big fireplace with a heated (!) floor in front of it, and an incredibly hospitable staff-- both in the restaurant and the ski shop.

Galena Lodge is also the central feature of the Galena Trail system (about 20-30K of track?) and is at the upper end of the Harriman Trail. The Harriman Trail, 30 K down the Wood River Valley to the Salmon National Recreation Area (SNRA) Headquarters building, is the route for the Boulder Mountain Tour. So, yes, I did get to do some practicing on the race route.

During the entire time I was there, Sun Valley was busy living up to its name, with clear sunny skies all day, and more stars than I had seen in quite some time at night. Despite the sun, the area is quite cold in the winter, and Toko low-fluor blue and Solda S-20 anti static powder were the glide wax du jour, day in and day out (my wax box is not exactly brand loyal any more...). Despite it being almost 2 weeks since the last snow, the cold temps were not re-crystallizing the snow in the tracks, so it was a blue kick wax day every day.

So, with that info, here is what I did last week:

Wed: skated about 5 K, realized that I was tired from travelling the day before, and switched to classic for a 20K ski down the valley to the 2/3 point of the Boulder Mountain Tour. Even though the Harriman trail is net downhill for the 30K of the BMT, the first 10K are actually fairly hilly as you ski into and out of numerous side-canyons that are tributaries to the Wood River. An easy, L1-2 ski, 20K in about 2:15 (lots of stops to gawk at scenery and examine incredibly huge surface hoar crystals growing in the meadows). Finished off the day with a soak in Easley Hot Springs (at about the 15 K point on the BMT route) before heading back to the lodge for cocktails and the yurt for a potluck meal.

Thurs: 30K skate on the BMT course. Started easy, finished harder, but still kept it low key. 2 hrs for 30 K. Dinner cooked by the Galena Lodge staff, and delivered to the door of the yurt.

Fri: 10K (about) skate on the Galena Lodge trails. These can be pretty hilly, and feature some stiff, hilly terrain (a trail called Rip and Tear comes to mind) and a memorable downhill plunge off of a ridge (aptly named Psycho). Finished off with a chilly loop into the refrigerator of Titus Creek, which is deep, dark and north-facing. Again, a lot of stops and socializing. Spent the afternoon in Ketchum- hanging out at the Elephants' Perch (the skinnyski friendly ski shop in downtown Ketchum), buying wine, and getting my registration in for the BMT!

Saturday: Backcountry Tour onto a side-ridge of Gladiator Peak, which overlooks Galena Lodge. Very gentle approach up a gradually ascending forest service road for the first 2 miles (would make a great off-track tour on light-touring gear), followed by a steady climb up an old logging track up to the ridge. No powder skiing as it hadn't snowed for weeks, but a narrow aspect band (you knew when you were pointing north) of settled and recrystallized powder. You knew when you weren't pointing north any more by the shin-breaking crust on every other aspect. Mileage doesn't count, but about a 3 hour tour... Went to see the Telluride Mountain Film Festival in town that evening, then came home to the yurt for an early evening in preparation for...

Sunday: The big day. 60 K by doing the 30K BMT course first backwards (uphill, starting at the finish line, and finishing at Galena Lodge), then after a break for lunch, stretching and dry clothes, another 30K back down to the finish line. This breaks my PR for longest distance skiied in a day (formerly the 52 or 54 K of the Birkie), and felt like a great milestone of achievement in my technique. The BMT (especially in the race direction) is all about V2 and V2-alternate, and I did a lot of it. By messing around, I also found that a V2 alternate "3-skate") seemed to be faster than either the V2-A or the V2. The rhythm was: pole/skate(L)-skate(R)-skate(L)-pole/skate(L)-pole/skate(R)-skate(L)-skate(R). Maybe it translates better in video... After several hours spent recuperating in front of the fireplace in the lodge, we marched ourselves up the hill to the yurt for an indecently huge multicultural potluck feast, featuring chile rellano pie, chicken-portobello ravioli,!
and
turkish chocolate baklava for dessert. Paired with Sun Valley's finest malt and grape beverages... Followed by the sleep of the well exercised.

Monday- one last ski before I go. Went down valley to the Sun Valley Resort Trail System. Definitely a different class of skiing than Galena, but not too darn bad for golf-course skiing. We went above the golf course up into the Trail Creek area, which heads up the canyon above the golf course and resort. Were rewarded with more rolling, open meadow track, featuring the world champion class of surface hoar crystals-- some as much as 4" long. It looked like the plucking ground for a huge number of pure white geese. about 10K of very slow classic skiing, but who's counting at this point?

Total for the week: 6 days of skiing, 5 on track, 1 backcountry. About 135 km of track skiing (30 classic, 105 skate), plus the backcountry day.

And I STILL missed a lot of trails! And never got to the hot springs on the Stanley side of Galena Pass. Oh well, maybe next time!

Chris Cline

SLC, UT

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"
PHi All-/P
PAfter years of reading of Jay T's big workouts, I finally feel like I have something to add to this category.  Here is a summary of my big week of skiing in the Sun Valley area./P
PI was lucky enough to get to do two "back-to-back" yurt trips at the Galena Lodge yurts.  For those who don't know, yurts are circular tents of Mongolian origin, where the canvas is stretched over a wooden frame.  If you've never seen one, Google it.  Galena Lodge's yurts are a relatively luxurious variation, with windows, sky lights, futons, and warm wood stoves.  And only about 1/4 mile (mostly uphill) from the lodge, which features good food and beverages, a big fireplace with a heated (!) floor in front of it, and an incredibly hospitable staff-- both in the restaurant and the ski shop.  /P
PGalena Lodge is also the central feature of the Galena Trail system (about 20-30K of track?) and is at the upper end of the Harriman Trail.  The Harriman Trail, 30 K down the Wood River Valley to the Salmon National Recreation Area (SNRA) Headquarters building, is the route for the Boulder Mountain Tour.  So, yes, I did get to do some practicing on the race route./P
PDuring the entire time I was there, Sun Valley was busy living up to its name, with clear sunny skies all day, and more stars than I had seen in quite some time at night.  Despite the sun, the area is quite cold in the winter, and Toko low-fluor blue and Solda S-20 anti static powder were the glide wax du jour, day in and day out (my wax box is not exactly brand loyal any more...).  Despite it being almost 2 weeks since the last snow, the cold temps were not re-crystallizing the snow in the tracks, so it was a blue kick wax day every day.  /P
PSo, with that info, here is what I did last week:/P
PWed: skated about 5 K, realized that I was tired from travelling the day before, and switched to classic for a 20K ski down the valley to the 2/3 point of the Boulder Mountain Tour.  Even though the Harriman trail is net downhill for the 30K of the BMT, the first 10K are actually fairly hilly as you ski into and out of numerous side-canyons that are tributaries to the Wood River.  An easy, L1-2 ski, 20K in about 2:15 (lots of stops to gawk at scenery and examine incredibly huge surface hoar crystals growing in the meadows).  Finished off the day with a soak in Easley Hot Springs (at about the 15 K point on the BMT route) before heading back to the lodge for cocktails and the yurt for a potluck meal./P
PThurs: 30K skate on the BMT course.  Started easy, finished harder, but still kept it low key.  2 hrs for 30 K.  Dinner cooked by the Galena Lodge staff, and delivered to the door of the yurt./P
PFri: 10K (about) skate on the Galena Lodge trails.  These can be pretty hilly, and feature some stiff, hilly terrain (a trail called Rip and Tear comes to mind) and a memorable downhill plunge off of a ridge (aptly named Psycho).  Finished off with a chilly loop into the refrigerator of Titus Creek, which is deep, dark and north-facing.  Again, a lot of stops and socializing.  Spent the afternoon in Ketchum- hanging out at the Elephants' Perch (the skinnyski friendly ski shop in downtown Ketchum), buying wine, and getting my registration in for the BMT!/P
PSaturday: Backcountry Tour onto a side-ridge of Gladiator Peak, which overlooks Galena Lodge.  Very gentle approach up a gradually ascending forest service road for the first 2 miles (would make a great off-track tour on light-touring gear), followed by a steady climb up an old logging track up to the ridge.  No powder skiing as it hadn't snowed for weeks, but a narrow aspect band (you knew when you were pointing north) of settled and recrystallized powder.  You knew when you weren't pointing north any more by the shin-breaking crust on every other aspect.  Mileage doesn't count, but about a 3 hour tour... Went to see the Telluride Mountain Film Festival in town that evening, then came home to the yurt for an early evening in preparation for.../P
PSunday:  The big day.  60 K by doing the 30K BMT course first backwards (uphill, starting at the finish line, and finishing at Galena Lodge), then after a break for lunch, stretching and dry clothes, another 30K back down to the finish line.  This breaks my PR for longest distance skiied in a day (formerly the 52 or 54 K of the Birkie), and felt like a great milestone of achievement in my technique.  The BMT (especially in the race direction) is all about V2 and V2-alternate, and I did a lot of it.  By messing around, I also found that a V2 alternate "3-skate") seemed to be faster than either the V2-A or the V2.  The rhythm was: pole/skate(L)-skate(R)-skate(L)-pole/skate(L)-pole/skate(R)-skate(L)-skate(R).  Maybe it translates better in video...  After several hours spent recuperating in front of the fireplace in the lodge, we marched ourselves up the hill to the yurt for an indecently huge multicultural potluck feast, featuring chi!
le
rellano pie, chicken-portobello ravioli, and turkish chocolate baklava for dessert.  Paired with Sun Valley's finest malt and grape beverages...  Followed by the sleep of the well exercised./P
PMonday- one last ski before I go.  Went down valley to the Sun Valley Resort Trail System.  Definitely a different class of skiing than Galena, but not too darn bad for golf-course skiing.  We went above the golf course up into the Trail Creek area, which heads up the canyon above the golf course and resort.  Were rewarded with more rolling, open meadow track, featuring the world champion class of surface hoar crystals-- some as much as 4" long.  It looked like the plucking ground for a huge number of pure white geese.  about 10K of very slow classic skiing, but who's counting at this point?/P
PTotal for the week: 6 days of skiing, 5 on track, 1 backcountry.  About 135 km of track skiing (30 classic, 105 skate), plus the backcountry day./P
PAnd I STILL missed a lot of trails!  And never got to the hot springs on the Stanley side of Galena Pass.  Oh well, maybe next time!/P
PChris Cline/P
PSLC, UT/P
P /P/BLOCKQUOTE/DIVphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
Yahoo! Hotjobs: a href="http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/hotjobs/mail_footer_email/evt=21482/*http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus"Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes/a
--0-1892096338-1074632815=:72848--

Ads
Old January 21st 04, 01:29 PM
Linda & Alan Shelvey
external usenet poster

Default cee-2's big BIG week in Sun Valley

chris,

what a fine vacation! you must be glad to be back at work so you can
recover from your time off!!!! i'll add the sun valley area to my list of
dream vacations!!

linder

Chris Cline wrote in message
o.com...
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Hi All-

After years of reading of Jay T's big workouts, I finally feel like I have

something to add to this category. Here is a summary of my big week of
skiing in the Sun Valley area.

I was lucky enough to get to do two "back-to-back" yurt trips at the

Galena Lodge yurts. For those who don't know, yurts are circular tents of
Mongolian origin, where the canvas is stretched over a wooden frame. If
you've never seen one, Google it. Galena Lodge's yurts are a relatively
luxurious variation, with windows, sky lights, futons, and warm wood stoves.
And only about 1/4 mile (mostly uphill) from the lodge, which features good
food and beverages, a big fireplace with a heated (!) floor in front of it,
and an incredibly hospitable staff-- both in the restaurant and the ski
shop.

Galena Lodge is also the central feature of the Galena Trail system (about

20-30K of track?) and is at the upper end of the Harriman Trail. The
Harriman Trail, 30 K down the Wood River Valley to the Salmon National
Recreation Area (SNRA) Headquarters building, is the route for the Boulder
Mountain Tour. So, yes, I did get to do some practicing on the race route.

During the entire time I was there, Sun Valley was busy living up to its

name, with clear sunny skies all day, and more stars than I had seen in
quite some time at night. Despite the sun, the area is quite cold in the
winter, and Toko low-fluor blue and Solda S-20 anti static powder were the
glide wax du jour, day in and day out (my wax box is not exactly brand loyal
any more...). Despite it being almost 2 weeks since the last snow, the cold
temps were not re-crystallizing the snow in the tracks, so it was a blue
kick wax day every day.

So, with that info, here is what I did last week:

Wed: skated about 5 K, realized that I was tired from travelling the day

before, and switched to classic for a 20K ski down the valley to the 2/3
point of the Boulder Mountain Tour. Even though the Harriman trail is net
downhill for the 30K of the BMT, the first 10K are actually fairly hilly as
you ski into and out of numerous side-canyons that are tributaries to the
Wood River. An easy, L1-2 ski, 20K in about 2:15 (lots of stops to gawk at
scenery and examine incredibly huge surface hoar crystals growing in the
meadows). Finished off the day with a soak in Easley Hot Springs (at about
the 15 K point on the BMT route) before heading back to the lodge for
cocktails and the yurt for a potluck meal.

Thurs: 30K skate on the BMT course. Started easy, finished harder, but

still kept it low key. 2 hrs for 30 K. Dinner cooked by the Galena Lodge
staff, and delivered to the door of the yurt.

Fri: 10K (about) skate on the Galena Lodge trails. These can be pretty

hilly, and feature some stiff, hilly terrain (a trail called Rip and Tear
comes to mind) and a memorable downhill plunge off of a ridge (aptly named
Psycho). Finished off with a chilly loop into the refrigerator of Titus
Creek, which is deep, dark and north-facing. Again, a lot of stops and
socializing. Spent the afternoon in Ketchum- hanging out at the Elephants'
Perch (the skinnyski friendly ski shop in downtown Ketchum), buying wine,
and getting my registration in for the BMT!

Saturday: Backcountry Tour onto a side-ridge of Gladiator Peak, which

overlooks Galena Lodge. Very gentle approach up a gradually ascending
forest service road for the first 2 miles (would make a great off-track tour
on light-touring gear), followed by a steady climb up an old logging track
up to the ridge. No powder skiing as it hadn't snowed for weeks, but a
narrow aspect band (you knew when you were pointing north) of settled and
recrystallized powder. You knew when you weren't pointing north any more by
the shin-breaking crust on every other aspect. Mileage doesn't count, but
about a 3 hour tour... Went to see the Telluride Mountain Film Festival in
town that evening, then came home to the yurt for an early evening in
preparation for...

Sunday: The big day. 60 K by doing the 30K BMT course first backwards

(uphill, starting at the finish line, and finishing at Galena Lodge), then
after a break for lunch, stretching and dry clothes, another 30K back down
to the finish line. This breaks my PR for longest distance skiied in a day
(formerly the 52 or 54 K of the Birkie), and felt like a great milestone of
achievement in my technique. The BMT (especially in the race direction) is
all about V2 and V2-alternate, and I did a lot of it. By messing around, I
also found that a V2 alternate "3-skate") seemed to be faster than either
the V2-A or the V2. The rhythm was:
pole/skate(L)-skate(R)-skate(L)-pole/skate(L)-pole/skate(R)-skate(L)-skate(R
). Maybe it translates better in video... After several hours spent
recuperating in front of the fireplace in the lodge, we marched ourselves up
the hill to the yurt for an indecently huge multicultural potluck feast,
featuring chile rellano pie, chicken-portobello ravioli,!
and
turkish chocolate baklava for dessert. Paired with Sun Valley's finest

malt and grape beverages... Followed by the sleep of the well exercised.

Monday- one last ski before I go. Went down valley to the Sun Valley

Resort Trail System. Definitely a different class of skiing than Galena,
but not too darn bad for golf-course skiing. We went above the golf course
up into the Trail Creek area, which heads up the canyon above the golf
course and resort. Were rewarded with more rolling, open meadow track,
featuring the world champion class of surface hoar crystals-- some as much
as 4" long. It looked like the plucking ground for a huge number of pure
white geese. about 10K of very slow classic skiing, but who's counting at
this point?

Total for the week: 6 days of skiing, 5 on track, 1 backcountry. About

135 km of track skiing (30 classic, 105 skate), plus the backcountry day.

And I STILL missed a lot of trails! And never got to the hot springs on

the Stanley side of Galena Pass. Oh well, maybe next time!

Chris Cline

SLC, UT

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;

BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"
PHi All-/P
PAfter years of reading of Jay T's big workouts, I finally feel like I

have something to add to this category.  Here is a summary of my big
week of skiing in the Sun Valley area./P
PI was lucky enough to get to do two "back-to-back" yurt trips at the

Galena Lodge yurts.  For those who don't know, yurts are circular tents
of Mongolian origin, where the canvas is stretched over a wooden
frame.  If you've never seen one, Google it.  Galena Lodge's yurts
are a relatively luxurious variation, with windows, sky lights, futons, and
warm wood stoves.  And only about 1/4 mile (mostly uphill) from the
lodge, which features good food and beverages, a big fireplace with a heated
(!) floor in front of it, and an incredibly hospitable staff-- both in the
restaurant and the ski shop.  /P
PGalena Lodge is also the central feature of the Galena Trail system

(about 20-30K of track?) and is at the upper end of the Harriman
Trail.  The Harriman Trail, 30 K down the Wood River Valley to the
Salmon National Recreation Area (SNRA) Headquarters building, is the route
for the Boulder Mountain Tour.  So, yes, I did get to do some
practicing on the race route./P
PDuring the entire time I was there, Sun Valley was busy living up to

its name, with clear sunny skies all day, and more stars than I had seen in
quite some time at night.  Despite the sun, the area is quite cold in
the winter, and Toko low-fluor blue and Solda S-20 anti static powder were
the glide wax du jour, day in and day out (my wax box is not exactly brand
loyal any more...).  Despite it being almost 2 weeks since the last
snow, the cold temps were not re-crystallizing the snow in the tracks, so it
was a blue kick wax day every day.  /P
PSo, with that info, here is what I did last week:/P
PWed: skated about 5 K, realized that I was tired from travelling the

day before, and switched to classic for a 20K ski down the valley to the 2/3
point of the Boulder Mountain Tour.  Even though the Harriman trail is
net downhill for the 30K of the BMT, the first 10K are actually fairly hilly
as you ski into and out of numerous side-canyons that are tributaries
to the Wood River.  An easy, L1-2 ski, 20K in about 2:15 (lots of stops
to gawk at scenery and examine incredibly huge surface hoar crystals growing
in the meadows).  Finished off the day with a soak in Easley Hot
Springs (at about the 15 K point on the BMT route) before heading back to
the lodge for cocktails and the yurt for a potluck meal./P
PThurs: 30K skate on the BMT course.  Started easy, finished

harder, but still kept it low key.  2 hrs for 30 K.  Dinner cooked
by the Galena Lodge staff, and delivered to the door of the yurt./P
PFri: 10K (about) skate on the Galena Lodge trails.  These can

be pretty hilly, and feature some stiff, hilly terrain (a trail called Rip
and Tear comes to mind) and a memorable downhill plunge off of a ridge
(aptly named Psycho).  Finished off with a chilly loop into the
refrigerator of Titus Creek, which is deep, dark and north-facing. 
Again, a lot of stops and socializing.  Spent the afternoon in Ketchum-
hanging out at the Elephants' Perch (the skinnyski friendly ski shop in
downtown Ketchum), buying wine, and getting my registration in for the
BMT!/P
PSaturday: Backcountry Tour onto a side-ridge of Gladiator Peak, which

overlooks Galena Lodge.  Very gentle approach up a gradually ascending
forest service road for the first 2 miles (would make a great off-track tour
on light-touring gear), followed by a steady climb up an old logging track
up to the ridge.  No powder skiing as it hadn't snowed for weeks, but a
narrow aspect band (you knew when you were pointing north) of settled and
recrystallized powder.  You knew when you weren't pointing north any
more by the shin-breaking crust on every other aspect.  Mileage doesn't
count, but about a 3 hour tour... Went to see the Telluride Mountain Film
Festival in town that evening, then came home to the yurt for an early
evening in preparation for.../P
PSunday:  The big day.  60 K by doing the 30K BMT course first

backwards (uphill, starting at the finish line, and finishing at Galena
Lodge), then after a break for lunch, stretching and dry clothes, another
30K back down to the finish line.  This breaks my PR for longest
distance skiied in a day (formerly the 52 or 54 K of the Birkie), and felt
like a great milestone of achievement in my technique.  The BMT
(especially in the race direction) is all about V2 and V2-alternate, and I
did a lot of it.  By messing around, I also found that a V2 alternate
"3-skate") seemed to be faster than either the V2-A or the V2.  The
rhythm was:
pole/skate(L)-skate(R)-skate(L)-pole/skate(L)-pole/skate(R)-skate(L)-skate(R
).  Maybe it translates better in video...  After several hours
spent recuperating in front of the fireplace in the lodge, we marched
ourselves up the hill to the yurt for an indecently huge multicultural
potluck feast, featuring chi!
le
rellano pie, chicken-portobello ravioli, and turkish chocolate

baklava for dessert.  Paired with Sun Valley's finest malt and grape
beverages...  Followed by the sleep of the well exercised./P
PMonday- one last ski before I go.  Went down valley to the Sun

Valley Resort Trail System.  Definitely a different class of skiing
than Galena, but not too darn bad for golf-course skiing.  We went
above the golf course up into the Trail Creek area, which heads up the
canyon above the golf course and resort.  Were rewarded with more
rolling, open meadow track, featuring the world champion class of surface
hoar crystals-- some as much as 4" long.  It looked like the plucking
ground for a huge number of pure white geese.  about 10K of very
slow classic skiing, but who's counting at this point?/P
PTotal for the week: 6 days of skiing, 5 on track, 1 backcountry. 

About 135 km of track skiing (30 classic, 105 skate), plus the backcountry
day./P
PAnd I STILL missed a lot of trails!  And never got to the hot

springs on the Stanley side of Galena Pass.  Oh well, maybe next
time!/P
PChris Cline/P
PSLC, UT/P
P /P/BLOCKQUOTE/DIVphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
Yahoo! Hotjobs: a

href="http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/hotjobs/mail_footer_email/
evt=21482/*http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus"Enter the