NBC afterthoughts

Old February 27th 06, 09:04 PM

Default NBC afterthoughts

I actually liked Al Trautwig's commentary. He is very pleasant and I
think he truly enjoys xc racing. He has been doing it a long time now
and I think he has a pretty good handle on things. He has good rhythm
to his commentary and his genuineness comes through--no artificial
intonations. I'll probably get blasted for this, but I'll say it
anyhow--I think he is a great credit to American Olympic broadcasting.
His sidekick Paul Robbins was superb, adding the expertise.

That's the good. As far as everything else, NBC should be ashamed of
its so-called Olympic coverage. Nothing that mattered was live.
Pathetic. Need I say more?

No offense to Trautwig and Robbins.

Old February 28th 06, 01:40 AM

The NBC commentating isnt as good as Eurosports of course, but theyre
not completely
to blame. because the eurosport guys are covering every world cup race,
so theyre more seasoned.
I wonder how many races Trautwig covers besides the Olympics..

I was pleseantly surprised that they showed some of the biathlon races
live. I wonder
why they didnt do this with XC.

Besides the usual NBC bashing, theres one simple thing NBC could have
done though, show a course profile at the beginning..

Old February 28th 06, 03:29 AM

I dunno if this squawk has been made yet or even if it's warranted but
just in case: Did they show any of the exciting parts of the courses?
My impression is that they usually stay by the parking lots. Of course
there's been the complaint that the courses aren't that exciting, but
still. Ya know, camera skills are WAY HIGH these days. They COULD find
the best angles and show em at their best if they wanted. ---What I
like is when in any kind of skiing they can effectively get across just
how steep these slopes are. It's hard but a good cameraman can do it.
---Unless they're chickens and want to just sit in the van and keep
warm. I saw ONE image of Bode giving a good feel for steepness but
that's it. I think they could've found a way to show the XCers FLYING
up some awesomely steep hills if they wanted. Or bombing some scary
fast turns. I wonder why they don't ever put speedos on the XCers---how
fast do you think they maxxed out at these Olys? There might've been
some twisty sections of 45mph, eh? Mighta been a neat photo-op. --JP

Old February 28th 06, 02:38 PM

Does Trautwig actually know much about skiing? It must be difficult to
say only smart things on the fly, but he does manage to say enough
stupid things to make one wish he were elsewhere. One comment that
stood out was when he described one of the short steep hills near the
end of the loop as "the wall, just like in a running marathon." No,
it's nothing like the hitting the wall in a marathon.

Onno

Old February 28th 06, 09:28 PM

I don't get it, what's the problem ... you don't like watching the
races? Bash them enough and maybe they'll not cover the races at all
.... just give you a quick 1st, 2nd, 3rd and botch the names to boot.
Then everyone will be happy ... right? Don't like the commentators?
Turn down the volume and be your own commentator. What if you were
actually at the race itself ... would you complain that you can't see
the whole course from where you're standing?

jw

Old March 1st 06, 12:32 AM

Al Trautwig and Paul Robbins are great! You have to realize, they do
the best they can with limited airtime. Plus, they have to appeal to
people who know nothing about cross country skiing as well as those of
us who follow the sport. Al does a great job on the Tour De France too!

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old March 1st 06, 01:30 AM

i repent.
props to Paul Robbins for covering the sport with intelligence for
many,many years.
Al sounds to me like a fanatical new convert to nordic, very cool.
OBVIOUSLY something changed this year, they finally started reading the
"hate" mail or just had goodwill towards the sport. Just think of how
many little kids saw that (I know my niece did!) and said "I wanna do
that some day!"

Old March 8th 06, 01:27 PM

See the comment about US TV coverage "not seeming to work any longer" by
the FIS president:
http://www.fis-ski.com/data/document...meskasper1.pdf