Speed: Boards vs. Skis??

Old November 18th 10, 10:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Speed: Boards vs. Skis??

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:23:19 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

You have a serious problem. Children can't be trusted to make their
own decisions.

Yes they can, within limits. Even toddlers. Some things are the
parents' choice, but a lot of choices can AND SHOULD be left to the kids
themselves.

Now here you are totally wrong. I learned in the military that the
enlisted men can't be allowed to make their own decisions. They
should be told what to do, where to go and even what to wear.

Especially if they're brighter than most of the adults who deal with them.

I think I've found the basis of your problem. You think they're
brighter than you.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old November 18th 10, 01:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Nov 17, 7:07*pm, Ted Waldron wrote:

buried in somewhere in France or in Chamonix.

????

Old November 18th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Nov 18, 7:10*am, downhill wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 17:17:43 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

On 11/17/10 02:24, wrote:

*wrote this crap:
ONLY on weekdays and only when there's some kind of discount and there's
some other good reason for going there. *Last time was in Feb or March
when I gave the grandspawn snowboard lessons for their birthdays.
Closer and cheaper than Big Bear and hey, they're only SNOWBOARD lessons
for chrissake!
You encourage children to snowboard? *I shall have to report you to
the proper authorities for child abuse.
It was their choice -- at 13 and 17, their wishes can be respected.

You have a serious problem. *Children can't be trusted to make their
own decisions.

Not true, by the time the kid is 13 he should be making the right
choices or you did something wrong from the start.

Obviously, your parents did something wrong from the start.

My 5 year old will
not make the right choice all the time but he is 5.

Considering his daddy is a lying, cowardly freak, he's probably going
to end up a freak, too.

You do not want cannon fodder to think just react not the best way to
grow a healthy normal adult. Not saying the military is wrong just has
an ability to produce some real twisted people that have not necessarily
helped the human race.

For once, I agree with you. Horvath claims the military made him, and
he is one real twisted freak who is a total drag on the entire human
race.
Old November 25th 10, 08:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Nov 16, 4:44*pm, gr wrote:
I was wondering; given the same snow and path; which is faster Skis or
Snowboards?

On absolute terms skis are faster (check out Derby de la Meije times
for proof), but snowboards may be faster on average in some terrain
(powder, near-endless vertical) as less they require less energy
expenditure from the rider and therefore less stops.

Old November 25th 10, 01:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

On Nov 25, 1:53 am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Nov 16, 4:44 pm, gr wrote:

I was wondering; given the same snow and path; which is faster Skis or
Snowboards?

I've read somewhere, there used to have the mixed skiing and
snowboarding "king of the mountain" competition in Europe (more likely
in France, iirc) some years ago, snowboarders beat skiers every timeï¼›
that's why there only separated skierX and snowboarderX competitions
nowadays.

On absolute terms skis are faster (check out Derby de la Meije times
for proof), but snowboards may be faster on average in some terrain
(powder, near-endless vertical) as less they require less energy
expenditure from the rider and therefore less stops.

Given how snowboarders can break a carving on a dime, which gives them
the agility and confidence to run at the higher speed, I think that
snowboards are faster than skis in general sliding environments.

snowbender
Old November 25th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

On Nov 16, 4:44 pm, gr wrote:

[...]

Give up a independent reference because you have proven your thinking is
not correct.

A person posted here using the nastar handicapping as a reason for
snowboarders being slower than skiers, that is a reasonable argument one
way or the other.

If snowboarders break on a dime why do they not run in slalom skiing,
maybe you can not out turn a boarder. But I think most of us can.

Try to have a good thanksgiving everybody.

Snowfake Do you know the way the turkey goes in?

Old November 25th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Nov 25, 3:51Â*pm, snowbender
wrote:

I've read somewhere, there used to have the mixed skiing and
snowboarding "king of the mountain" competition in Europe (more likely
in France, iirc) some years ago, snowboarders beat skiers every timeï¼›
that's why there only separated skierX and snowboarderX competitions
nowadays.

I seriously doubt that, i.e. won't believe it before I see some
results. The toughest off-piste race in the world is Derby de la Meije
and the skiers are always faster than the snowboarders by a wide
margin. In fact it seems that telemarks and even monoskis are faster
than snowboards (although the sample of monoskiers is tiny so maybe
the few are just supercrazy). On the other hand near the beginning
there's a flat part so maybe snowboarders are penalised a bit there
even compared to monoskis. Anyway the results since 2004 are he

http://www.derbydelameije.com/resultats_en.htm

Given how snowboarders can break a carving on a dime, which gives them
the agility and confidence to run at the higher speed, I think that
snowboards are faster than skis in general sliding environments.

Snowboarding is faster for the same energy-expenditure, in powder-days
I cannot keep up with them at all as they can shred vertical in 100m
turns. If I was in better shape I might have some kind of a chance..

Old November 25th 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

On 25/11/2010 16:12, downhill wrote:

Try to have a good thanksgiving everybody.

Seconded.

Snowfake Do you know the way the turkey goes in?

Oh, I know this - with its arms flapping ?

Old November 25th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Evojeesus wrote:
Snowboarding is faster for the same energy-expenditure, in powder-days
I cannot keep up with them at all as they can shred vertical in 100m
turns. If I was in better shape I might have some kind of a chance..

I find that I work way harder snowboarding than skiing on groomed runs. It may
be a little the other way in deep powder. Good carved turns on a snowboard
require a lot more knee action than on skis.