Zermat

Old September 14th 10, 11:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Dynastarian

Default Zermat

Thinking about going in Feb. (2 wks.) . Looking for cheap room w/ breakfast.
Any tips or faves ?
Thanks !

Old September 17th 10, 09:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

On 15/09/2010 01:32, Dynastarian wrote:
Thinking about going in Feb. (2 wks.) . Looking for cheap room w/
breakfast.
Any tips or faves ?

Yes, go somewhere else - see my recent post on Z.
Old September 17th 10, 10:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:43:21 +0200, BrritSki
wrote:

On 15/09/2010 01:32, Dynastarian wrote:
Thinking about going in Feb. (2 wks.) . Looking for cheap room w/
breakfast.
Any tips or faves ?

Yes, go somewhere else - see my recent post on Z.

Never tried it myself, but apparently there is a youth hostel on the
edge of town. Not my idea of decent accomodation, but there you go.

We did once stay in a cheapish place in the middle of town, but it's
probab;ly changed by now. In any event, what you need to look for is
somewhere branded a "Hotel Garni". Very little facilities, and
sometimes needing a revamp and just killnig time until someone gets
round to it, but usually possible, even somewhere like Zermatt, to
find a room for two for around 80 francs/night.

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old September 17th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_3_]

wrote:

On 15/09/2010 01:32, Dynastarian wrote:
Thinking about going in Feb. (2 wks.) . Looking for cheap room w/
breakfast.
Any tips or faves ?

Yes, go somewhere else - see my recent post on Z.

I sem to have missed your post and lost my Google mojo. What was the
upshot of it? I was vaguely toying with the idea of going there next
year for a week.

I went in my first couple of years of skiiing on real snow and as a
result, was only able to ski about half the resort. I always intended
to go back when I was a better skier.

--
-Pip
Old September 18th 10, 08:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

wrote:

On 15/09/2010 01:32, Dynastarian wrote:
Thinking about going in Feb. (2 wks.) . Looking for cheap room w/
breakfast.
Any tips or faves ?

Yes, go somewhere else - see my recent post on Z.

I sem to have missed your post and lost my Google mojo. What was the
upshot of it? I was vaguely toying with the idea of going there next
year for a week.

I went in my first couple of years of skiiing on real snow and as a
result, was only able to ski about half the resort. I always intended
to go back when I was a better skier.

Ooops, it was posted in rec.skiing.alpine, but here's the question and
my reply:

On 06/09/2010 18:50, BrritSki wrote:
On 06/09/2010 18:27, Chile Ski wrote:
My friends and I are planning a late Feb ski trip to either Zermatt or
Val D'Isere. The original idea was to take advantage of the low Euro
now before it gets up again, but as Switzerland is not on the Euro, we
are curious as to relative prices as well as ski experience, food
experience, recommended hotels, recommended guides. Please, if anyone
has comment, please let me know

Zermatt is the sort of place that everyone should ski once. The
tradition, Matterhorn backdrop, ice caves, mountain railway and height
alone make it a must for some people. Having said that I won't be going
back - I didn't think the actual skiing was that great - even the
off-piste with a guide (but then I'm not thgat good at off-piste skiing)
and the lift system really REALLY sucks, taking up to 2 hours to get
from the base to the very top on 3 different lifts.

Val d'Isere/Tignes is far better organised and there is a much bigger
range of skiing. Still not my favourite though, which is the 3V,
Courchevel in particular, but not in January when it's crawling with
Russians.

Old September 19th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

"BrritSki" wrote in message

and the lift system really REALLY sucks, taking up to 2 hours to get
from the base to the very top on 3 different lifts.

Not sure what you mean by that, but I would point out that the Furi to
Riffelberg lift which was built a few years ago did make it much easier to
get between the various areas. You can now get to Rothorn and back quite
easily from Cervinia.

--
Michael Chare

Old September 21st 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike Clark[_2_]

In message
"Michael Chare" wrote:

"BrritSki" wrote in message

and the lift system really REALLY sucks, taking up to 2 hours to
get from the base to the very top on 3 different lifts.

Not sure what you mean by that, but I would point out that the Furi to
Riffelberg lift which was built a few years ago did make it much
easier to get between the various areas. You can now get to Rothorn
and back quite easily from Cervinia.

I've been skiing in Zermat twice, once last year April 2009 and once
about 10 years earlier. Both were as a result of completing Haute Route
style ski-tours in Zermat. It has some excellent off-piste routes and
also some accessible mountain tours (the Breithorn is a reasonable 4000m
tick) but I wouldn't want to spend too much time there for on piste
skiing. Part of the problem is the clientele that the resort attracts. I
spent too long standing in queues surrounded by fur clad, loud speaking,
americans, discussing their recent investments, corporate takeovers,
paychecks, tax bills, filmshoots etc etc.

--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old September 21st 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike[_2_]

"Mike Clark" wrote in message
.uk...
In message
but I wouldn't want to spend too much time there for on piste
skiing. Part of the problem is the clientele that the resort attracts. I
spent too long standing in queues surrounded by fur clad, loud speaking,
americans, discussing their recent investments, corporate takeovers,
paychecks, tax bills, filmshoots etc etc.

So, 2 short visits and diss the resort for some encounter with some bankers.
I'm lucky enough to have not encountered such people, although there are the
usual southern Brit hoorays as in any decent resort, and I've been to
Zermatt loads of times. Good town, good skiing on + off piste and some half
decent improvements over the past few seasons. Queues are long if you choose
them but plenty of alternatives once you know the resort. Klein Matterhorn
glacier area + Cervinia really only need to ski for a day or two,and, if
snow is good, happy to stay on Zermatt local pass. Reasonable hotels do
exist, check out the tourist website and reasonable places to eat (for a top
Swiss resort). Oh, and the scenary IS superb. HTH Mike

Old September 21st 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Ace[_4_]

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:37:59 +0100, "Mike"
wrote:

"Mike Clark" wrote in message
c.uk...
In message
but I wouldn't want to spend too much time there for on piste
skiing. Part of the problem is the clientele that the resort attracts. I
spent too long standing in queues surrounded by fur clad, loud speaking,
americans, discussing their recent investments, corporate takeovers,
paychecks, tax bills, filmshoots etc etc.

So, 2 short visits and diss the resort for some encounter with some bankers.

Well, it's more than some people ;-) But yeah, this and BrittSki's
post do seem to be extrtapolating from a little experience.

I'm lucky enough to have not encountered such people, although there are the
usual southern Brit hoorays as in any decent resort,

Not all, but yes, in many of them.

and I've been to
Zermatt loads of times. Good town, good skiing on + off piste and some half
decent improvements over the past few seasons. Queues are long if you choose
them but plenty of alternatives once you know the resort. Klein Matterhorn
glacier area + Cervinia really only need to ski for a day or two,and, if
snow is good, happy to stay on Zermatt local pass. Reasonable hotels do
exist, check out the tourist website and reasonable places to eat (for a top
Swiss resort). Oh, and the scenary IS superb. HTH Mike

It's about as good as it comes, scenery-wise, for sure. The Matterhorn
is probably the most pictured mountain in the world, and the most
picturesque, for that matter.

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the place, and share some of the
reservations of others. Queues are nothing like as bad as they used to
be, and connections between areas likewise, due to lift system
improvements over the last few years, but for me it's just got too
many people.

But TBH that's probably something it shares with most of the larger
resorts, and having got used to being in Engelberg I'm perhaps less
tolerant of lift queues and crowds than I used to be.

In its favour, Zermatt does have some decent, ski-accessibls
off-piste, but the best stuff (for me) is glacier terrain, much of
which is only really accessible by helicopter, and for that I'd much
rather stay on the Itlaian side, in Gressoney, for example, and enjoy
the 15km of off-piste tracks back there from Cervinia.

I do have a soft spot for the Hotel Julen, though, and have stayed
there a few times, summer, winter and autumn (the latter doing
BASI/BASP 1st aid courses). As an all-year Swiss Mountain Village
destination it's hard to beat.

Old September 21st 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Sep 21, 12:22*pm, Ace wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:37:59 +0100, "Mike"

wrote:
"Mike Clark" wrote in message
c.uk...
In message
[...]

Excuse me? Are you so rude as to cross post an actual skiing post to
RSA?
Let us discuss Roger Tilsbury, a pathetic and laughable coward who has
defamed me for years, and lied to the Seattle Police Department over a
stupid newsgroup.
One of the most disgusting and transparent pathological liars I have
ever run across.
Not to mention the fact that he thinks jokes about raping children are
hilarious. Do you think people should make sick jokes about molesting
children?
Stay the **** out of my newsgroup, or watch yours go into the sewer
too.
Fun, fun. Asshole.