Un-mounting and re-mounting bindings

Old November 9th 03, 04:57 PM
John Skewes

Default Un-mounting and re-mounting bindings

Un-mounting and re-mounting Salomon Profile Skate bindings.
We recently bought a new pair of Atomic skis for my daughter and an
older pair of Peltonen skis with a nice pair of binding.
Can anyone advise me on taking the bindings off the old pair and
re-mounting them on the new pair?
I did the same thing with a pair of NNN bindings last year but the
seemed easier to dismantle without trashing them.

Thanks in advance.

John
Old November 10th 03, 12:20 AM
Serge

First of all "Phillips" screwdriver does not work.
You need to make "pozidrive" (spelling?) tip.

Take a Phillips tip #P2 and grind the end of to fit the screw.
Then get a l shape screwdriver to get to the screw under a lock on Salomon
binding and also grind about 3mm of the tip.

If you need to install new binding, you need to know "balance point"
of that ski or replicate the same from old ski, if it is perfect for you.
Old November 10th 03, 12:44 AM
Tomas Bystrom

In article , John Skewes wrote:
Can anyone advise me on taking the bindings off the old pair and
re-mounting them on the new pair?

[Be advised that this is my experience as self-learned hobbyist, there
may be better ways, and I hope those who know about them comment on the
more suboptimal parts of my description!]

The hard part is if it's the old kind of plastic plug holding the rear
end of the long ridge plate - then you have to carve the cone-shaped
head off (sharp knife, or use a drill), from the side it look something
like this:

---------------------------- Top of plate
\ / - head to remove
-------------------||------- Bottom of plate/top of ski
| |
| | Ski mold

I don't think you should try to pull out the remains of the plug. Cut it
off at the ski surface, and gently re-drill if you want to reuse the
skis.
On newer profils, there's a screw instead of the plastic plug, the screw
is covered by a round plastic plate with a notch in it.
Anyway, with the plug head/screw removed, GENTLY lift the ridge plate
with a sharp knife. It is taped to the ski, and is quite fragile. The
plate is mated with the clamp, but once all the tape is loose
it is easy to separate them.
The clamp is fastened by three screws, that might be glued and hence a
bit hard to get loose. Two of them are hidden under the long plate and
will appear when the plate is removed. The third hidden beneath the
"ID-plate" at the front.
Regarding the remount - my advice is that you take the skis to your
favorite store/technician and make them drill the holes. They have the
jig, and maybe more importantly a more or less foolproof drill. The rest
is easy. You my want to "seal" the screws wih some glue - but don't
overdo it if you want to remove them again. If you carved the platic
plug - just replace it with a normal screw.

/Tomas

--
Caps and foobar are normally not parts of my address.
Old November 10th 03, 10:09 PM
John Skewes

Thanks Tomas,
I'll give that a try