Detuning, etc.

Old November 10th 04, 11:27 PM
David

Default Detuning, etc.

Detuning
======

How dull do you make the edges when detuning?

I marked & filed the edges of my daughter's board but it didn't seem to help
much. I made it so it to visual inspection it doesn't look sharp. It looks slightly
rounded, and you can tell the detuned from the tuned part of the edge by inspection.
It still feels sharp though. Does it sound like it's dull enough?

Last season she rode rental boards, which typically had fairly dull edges. Around the
end of season (while her broken wrist was healing), I bought her a lightly used
K2 Luna 142 from Ebay. She's had trouble turning it. I detuned a little (3cm into the
active edge). I figured start small. Anyway it didn't seem to help much. Detune more
of the edge? Make it duller? Sign her up for another lesson?

She's about 5'3", and around 100lbs. Weight range of the board is 130lbs.

Other stuff
=======

My board is on the stiffer side. I can hold it in a wheelie for a max of maybe 2 seconds
(I'm sure practice will improve that), but can't get it onto the nose at all. I'm sure being
a noob of limited skills has a lot to do with it, but I think a flexier board would help too.

If I tried that stuff with my daughter's Luna would I break anything? I exceed the
recommended weight range by around 5lbs (plus clothes, boots, etc). Should I just
demo a freestyle board to work on that kind of skill? Take a lesson?

Old November 11th 04, 12:34 AM
bri719

are you sure? 3cm sounds like a ton to me. maybe I'm misunderstanding
you, or you just meant to say 3mm.

the board doesn't sound like it's too long for her. I think two things
are happening here -- she probably just needs to get more accustomed to
it (probably a tiny bit stiffer than she is used to, so the leg muscles
need to build up a little more), and the boards she was riding before
had NO edge practically. so that's the major difference right there.

a lesson might help too.....a lot of resorts have really cheap lessons
that last an hour or two. sometimes you can package that with the lift
ticket and it's only like $15-20 more.

good luck and let us know. and yeah keep that file handy.
bri

David wrote:

Detuning
======

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old November 11th 04, 12:52 AM
Mike T

the board doesn't sound like it's too long for her. I think two things
are happening here -- she probably just needs to get more accustomed to it
(probably a tiny bit stiffer than she is used to, so the leg muscles need
to build up a little more), and the boards she was riding before had NO
edge practically. so that's the major difference right there.

My first guess would be that the board is stiffer also and thus harder to
turn.

Is her stance comfortable? Boots hanging over the edges, but only
slightly? If the board is wide enough such that her boots don't even come
up to the edges, she will probably have trouble turning. Os if the boots
are hanging over the heelside a lot but inside the toeside edge, she will
have a lot of trouble making a toeside turn.

I apologize if you already know all this...

Mike T

Old November 11th 04, 02:27 AM
David

"bri719" wrote in message ...
are you sure? 3cm sounds like a ton to me.

I think I read it he
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/welcome2.htm

3cm was the smaller number, and I though better to start small. Easier to detune further,
and to undo. Never done this stuff before though.

I was also considering having the edges filed with a 1 degree base angle.
Either at the local shop, or maybe I can do it with my pocket file guide.

maybe I'm misunderstanding
you, or you just meant to say 3mm.

the board doesn't sound like it's too long for her. I think two things
are happening here -- she probably just needs to get more accustomed to
it (probably a tiny bit stiffer than she is used to, so the leg muscles
need to build up a little more), and the boards she was riding before
had NO edge practically. so that's the major difference right there.

a lesson might help too.....a lot of resorts have really cheap lessons
that last an hour or two. sometimes you can package that with the lift
ticket and it's only like $15-20 more.

We were thinking another lesson would be good. When we started we did seperate lessons.
In hers the kid who couldn't ride got all the attention (the morning & afternoon lessons each had
a seperate one), and the other kids got less instruction.

We would probably do a private together. Before we did that, I was hoping we'd each be riding
better than at the end of last season. At the end of our second time this season she was almost
riding as well as last year. She makes a few turns. At least some of 'em carved. Mostly
she rides fakie.

Thanks,
David

Old November 11th 04, 02:27 AM
David

"David" wrote in message ...

"bri719" wrote in message ...
are you sure? 3cm sounds like a ton to me.

I think I read it he
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/welcome2.htm

3cm was the smaller number, and I though better to start small. Easier to detune further,
and to undo.

That should read "than to undo."

Old November 11th 04, 02:31 AM
Mike T

Is her stance comfortable?

She says so. I think 6/21 & 19" stance width. I might change hers to duck
stance though,
unless she starts turning more.

I would try experimenting with the stance width first, and try going a bit
narrower. I use a 19.5" stance and I am 5'10" with long legs! My wife is
5'2" and she goes closer to 17.5". Narrowing the stance will give her more
powerful turns at the expense of a little stability. The extra power will
help her bend the stiffer board, and the stiffer board gives you back some
stability.

I thought my Volkl Coal 155 was stiff. As soon as I got used to it (my
second day riding it),
I fell in love with it. But her K2 Luna 142 feels even stiffer if you
just grab it and try to bend it.
I guess we should have compared twisting instead.

That's just odd, that the Luna is stiffer than the Coal. I've heard good
things about the coal in carving-oreinted circles, which generally implies a
stiff board among other things.

It's a small woman's board, and the weight range is spec'd at 130lbs &
below.
At 5'3" and a little over 100lbs, I expected it to work well for my
daughter.

I would expect the same!

Also, her board is flat. It has maybe 1 or 2 mm of arch (camber?).
Is that enough? Mine has way more.

Now *this* is where I immediately get suspicious that the board is either
damaged or is just plain worn out. I haven't seen too many boards that
weren't damaged or worn out that had less than about half a cm of camber.
And, a board that has either lost it's camber or has a damaged core *will*
be hard to turn, unless you are quite skilled.

You might look for a damaged core by putting the board flat on a hard flat
floor, next to you own. The widest points of the board should touch the
ground, or very nearly the widest points. If the part of the board at
either end that touches the floor is farther towards the center of the
board, chances are the core has been compromised and the lamination between
the layers has been broken. This won't always be apparent without looking
hard, but it can have a devastating effect on a board's performance. I have
a board damaged as such, and it's a very nice wall decoration. If you'd
like to see what I'm talking about, I'll try to take some pics and post them
the web.

Mike T

Old November 11th 04, 02:42 AM
David

"Mike T" wrote in message news:E2Bkd.1025$Pu6.757@trnddc04...
Is her stance comfortable?

She says so. I think 6/21 & 19" stance width. I might change hers to duck
stance though,
unless she starts turning more.

I would try experimenting with the stance width first, and try going a bit
narrower. I use a 19.5" stance and I am 5'10" with long legs! My wife is
5'2" and she goes closer to 17.5". Narrowing the stance will give her more
powerful turns at the expense of a little stability.

I was going from memory, but I was wrong. I just measured hers at a hair
under 18 1/4". I guess even narrower might help.

The extra power will
help her bend the stiffer board, and the stiffer board gives you back some
stability.

I thought my Volkl Coal 155 was stiff. As soon as I got used to it (my
second day riding it),
I fell in love with it. But her K2 Luna 142 feels even stiffer if you
just grab it and try to bend it.
I guess we should have compared twisting instead.

That's just odd, that the Luna is stiffer than the Coal. I've heard good
things about the coal in carving-oreinted circles, which generally implies a
stiff board among other things.

I was used to sliding turns, but the Coal taught me how to carve, because I couldn't
slide it. Now that I've got ths bindings better positioned I can do both, although not
as well as I'd like...

It's a small woman's board, and the weight range is spec'd at 130lbs &
below.
At 5'3" and a little over 100lbs, I expected it to work well for my
daughter.

I would expect the same!

Also, her board is flat. It has maybe 1 or 2 mm of arch (camber?).
Is that enough? Mine has way more.

Now *this* is where I immediately get suspicious that the board is either
damaged or is just plain worn out.

I just checked and it looks like 2mm on the toe side, 1.5mm heel side.

I haven't seen too many boards that
weren't damaged or worn out that had less than about half a cm of camber.
And, a board that has either lost it's camber or has a damaged core *will*
be hard to turn, unless you are quite skilled.

You might look for a damaged core by putting the board flat on a hard flat
floor, next to you own. The widest points of the board should touch the
ground, or very nearly the widest points. If the part of the board at
either end that touches the floor is farther towards the center of the
board, chances are the core has been compromised and the lamination between
the layers has been broken.

From casual inspection, it seems OK, but I'm not certain.

It was represented as having been ridden once, and other than slightly rusty
edges, it looked brand new. It sure didn't look abused.

This won't always be apparent without looking
hard, but it can have a devastating effect on a board's performance. I have
a board damaged as such, and it's a very nice wall decoration. If you'd
like to see what I'm talking about, I'll try to take some pics and post them
the web.

I'd love to see. Did it break or wear out (sudden or slow)?

Thanks,
David

Old November 11th 04, 02:53 AM
Mike T

I'd love to see. Did it break or wear out (sudden or slow)?

Quite sudden, I'm afraid...

Gimme a couple of days to take pics.

Old November 11th 04, 01:57 PM
Jason Medeiros

i'd suggest you buy your daughter some wrist guards as she's learning to
handle this board!

--

jmed

Old November 11th 04, 04:09 PM
David

"Jason Medeiros" wrote in message ...
i'd suggest you buy your daughter some wrist guards as she's learning to
handle this board!

After her broken wrist (on a rental) last April, she's been wearing wrist guards.