Eurosport coverage of Canmore races -- please!

Old January 16th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Everett

Default Eurosport coverage of Canmore races -- please!

It would be great if someone would record and make available to North
Americans the Eurosport English language video coverage of the
upcoming Canmore World Cup races. Recent XC videos that have been
posted on the Internet have been NRK feeds -- great video, but the
commentary (Norwegian) is lost on most of us North Americans.

-Everett
Old January 16th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

It would be nice since David Goldstrum and his sometime biathlon (?)
partner are enjoyable and much preferable to Peter Graves, but I wonder
if their understanding of the sport and the detail of reporting
approaches what's available on NRK. I don't know and would be
interested to hear comments from those who've understood both.

Old January 17th 08, 10:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

mike dixon, i think. anything would be better than graves. or whoever
wcsn had on for a short time who did nothing but announce who everyone
was as they passed

Old January 17th 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Everett

On Jan 16, 5:30*pm, wrote:
It would be nice since David Goldstrum and his sometime biathlon (?)
partner are enjoyable and much preferable to Peter Graves, but I wonder
if their understanding of the sport and the detail of reporting
approaches what's available on NRK. *I don't know and would be
interested to hear comments from those who've understood both.

Even if the NRK commentary is more insightful than Goldstrum's I fail
to see any advantage if it's in a language (Norwegian) amost no North
Americans understand.
Old January 17th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
SkiFit

Canadians paying for extra cable service will be able to watch on CBC
Country Canada. See broadcast times at the link. Commentary often
provided by Coach Jack Sasseville. However, I have no idea if it will
be him this time around.

http://www.cccski.com/dbfiles/1105.pdf
Old January 18th 08, 02:00 AM
doogiski doogiski is offline
Senior Member

I can assure you that there will NOT be Eurosport coverage of the Canmore races on the internet unless a miracle happens. If you look back in the threads you'll see that a small group of us have been searching relentlessly for someone to capture the Eurosport broadcast but to no avail. As awesome as it would be to heard David Goldstrom's voice again, the odds of it happening are less than me actually racing at the World Cups themselves. However, I'm sure that Terje will be nice enough to once again capture the NRK broadcasts for our pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
but I wonder
if their understanding of the sport and the detail of reporting
approaches what's available on NRK. I don't know and would be
interested to hear comments from those who've understood both.
David Goldstrom and co. are very knowledgeable when it comes to tidbits about the sport and they know what they are talking about when it comes to technique and athlete bios. The only thing that NRK has on the Eurosport broadcasts is their abililty to conduct quick 1st hand interview's with the racers before and after the races occur. It also helps that NRK pulls current and ex-racers (Alsgård, Sundby, Djupvik) into studio for their opinions of the races. IMO I prefer the Eurosport broadcasts because English is my first language, but NRK's are pretty easy to understand for a basic knowledge of the language.

Last edited by doogiski : January 18th 08 at 07:58 PM.
Old January 18th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

;119478 Wrote:

but I wonder
if their understanding of the sport and the detail of reporting
approaches what's available on NRK. I don't know and would be
interested to hear comments from those who've understood both.

David Goldstrom and co. are very knowledgeable when it comes to tidbits
about the sport and they know what they are talking about when it comes
to technique and athlete bios. The only thing that NRK has on the
Eurosport broadcasts is their abililty to conduct quick 1st hand
interview's with the racers before and after the races occur. It also
helps that NRK pulls current and ex-racers (Alsgård, Sundy, Djupvik)

--
doogiski

You know, it's not even obvious that Eurosport is still covering cross-
country skiing in English. The English-language site doesn't like XC
among the various winter-sports options:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/winter-sports/

And the TV listings (though apparently incomplete) don't seem to
include any XC events for next week.

Christopher
Old January 18th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

See http://yahoo.eurosport.co.uk/tvsched...ng2_day8.shtml

I believe the problem is that Eurosport, or at least Eurosport English,
takes an extra paid subscription in Scandinavia, if not all of Europe.
Why take that if your national network is covering the same events? We
North Americans who want the videos may say thank you many times, but
we aren't paying for the recording or server, and don't have to face
the music if problems arise, such as the boss discovering the person
involved is stealing server space and time (pre-torrent era) or
uploading illegally. Acts of kindness this involved are not easy to
sustain. But many of us thank Jan for the many years of help he gave us
ever so graciously.

RM

tassava wrote:

You know, it's not even obvious that Eurosport is still covering cross-
country skiing in English. The English-language site doesn't like XC
among the various winter-sports options:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/winter-sports/

And the TV listings (though apparently incomplete) don't seem to
include any XC events for next week.

Christopher

Summer Biathlon on Eurosport Now dardruba Nordic Skiing 0 September 7th 07 12:37 PM
Canmore Janne G Nordic Skiing 20 January 3rd 06 04:06 PM
Canmore 10K dardruba Nordic Skiing 0 December 15th 05 06:22 PM
Canmore Chaos SkiFit Nordic Skiing 10 February 6th 05 01:47 AM
Nordic Races on Eurosport Network Dean Slyter Nordic Skiing 8 December 14th 03 03:36 AM