questions p-tex drip candle on sinter bases and scrapers

Old December 7th 04, 09:25 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Mike T wrote:

Wonder how long it takes? He says mine was in a batch that started late
last week.

He said mine would probably ship on Friday.... not a moment too soon for Sun
Peaks carve camp! (If we get fresh snow, I'm gonna want that board... not
sure I want to ride an 18cm waisted race board in anything that new!)

When did he start on yours?

Neil

Old December 7th 04, 09:33 PM
Mike T

When did he start on yours?
(Conversation taken offline...)

Old December 7th 04, 11:25 PM

Neil / Mike

thanks for the help, still got some questions.
so I need a flat tip iron with repair sticks (is that the same as
ribbons?)
after repairing with the flat tip iron, do I need a metal scraper to
scrape off excess
or would I get enough control with the flat tip to make it smooth.

any idea if I could use an elementry school ruler (the wood ones with
metal edge) as
a wax scraper?

also what do you guys think of the Dakine Deluxe Tune Kit?
I had a post earlier about that.

Old December 7th 04, 11:47 PM
Mike T

thanks for the help, still got some questions.
so I need a flat tip iron with repair sticks (is that the same as
ribbons?)

I'll defer to Neil on that one....

after repairing with the flat tip iron, do I need a metal scraper to
scrape off excess
or would I get enough control with the flat tip to make it smooth.

Never having done a repair using Neil's method I can't say, but... using the
ptex gun that is specifically designed for the task, I usually need to use a
metal scraper to get ride of excess and smooth it out. Note that it is
necessary to wait for the patch to cure; I find this works best at room
temperature so it doesn't cure too fast; best to leave it for an hour or so
if it's a large patch.

any idea if I could use an elementry school ruler (the wood ones with
metal edge) as
a wax scraper?

I am not a fan of using *any* kind of metal as a wax scaper; I like plastic
as it is really hard to nick your base with it. You want to scrape wax at
an angle and the ruler probably won't let you do that.

As far as ptex repair smoothing - same thing, I recommend scraping at an
angle, and I suspect a ruler would jump over rather than scrape and just do
more harm than good. Let's put it this way - I'm not going to try it on a
board I care about to find out!

also what do you guys think of the Dakine Deluxe Tune Kit?

I'll respond on that thread...

Old December 8th 04, 03:35 AM
snoig

Check out tognar.com. P-tex does not stick to metal so to make the
best repair for a core shot or on the edge, you need a special base
polymer that will stick to metal and p-tex. You lay down the polymer
fist then finish off with p-tex.

snoig

Old December 8th 04, 02:48 PM
Mike T

Check out tognar.com. P-tex does not stick to metal so to make the
best repair for a core shot or on the edge, you need a special base
polymer that will stick to metal and p-tex. You lay down the polymer
fist then finish off with p-tex.

Thanks, I'll do that! I've got the perfect rock board to practice on.