Why no US skiers in TdS?

Old January 7th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Why no US skiers in TdS?

You don't seem to have actually read the posts to which you're
responding. I didn't suggest it was a "simple matter" of a lack of
resoures. In Nordic Combined, the U.S. has two top skiers on the WC
circuit, along with its own team coaches and perhaps waxer(s). With the
cross-country team, the U.S. has at most *one* skier, one with lots
more downs than ups, theoretically capable of competing on the full
Tour de Ski, which ought to in and itself decide the matter (that skier
has also been sick and could not have competed, as it turns out). You
think Vegard Ulvang doesn't know this? What modifications to the Tour
do you think come from this knowledge?

rm

dardruba wrote:

Well it can't be a simple matter of lack of US resources.
Bill Demong is on the WC Nordic Combination circuit and continues to put in great performances,
so he must have full US team backing.

Could it simply be that the regular WC competing nations not taking part in the Tour just dont
have a racer with sufficient individual strength and skills to cope with eight continuous
stages of events each of a different style and discipline?
Just consider the big names who retired last year and this year and lost any WC points
they'd gained in the early stages. That rule stopped racers cherrypicking and aiming for the
one hit stage wins and the glory points which we see in the Tour de France.

Or is it cherrypicking to say we'll not expose our racers to this event and we'll keep them fresh for the next WC event.

The Eurosport commentator said the Tour Organisers want comments from the ski world on how to improve the Tour, perhaps they should read our Forum.
Mike

Old January 10th 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba

I wasn't sniping at US skiers. I WAS making a general comment but it was on a thread relating
to US skiers. Sorry guys, I see I didnt express that too well.

As to recommendations, one of our friends here mentioned the Factory Teams.
Why should this unique Tour be specifically for the Nations in the World Cup.
Could it not be opened up for commercially sponsored Teams allowed to recruit the best of
skiers in the world pool. For example every racer in an Airline Team could be from a different nation and some racers may not be on the current WC circuit. Those who are would be allowed to accumulate WC points as at present, those who are not would have the chance to display their
talents in a broader arena and to collect useful prize money.
Mike

Old January 10th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Do you have any examples that are competitive, not just warm bodies?
The Tour de France is not open to just any team, so why the TdS? It's
first a matter of quality. Take the Factory Team. I believe the last
time one of their distance skiers was sent to the WC circuit for having
won the US Super Tour, he had a results in the 50s to 70s, i.e., back
there with the host's extra national team skiers. At last year's
Worlds, U.S. Ski Team women were so slow they were pulled off the
course. We'll get a taste of the current crop of top U.S. skiers at
Canmore in two weeks, since they (like the Canada) are taking advantage
of the extra host team allotment. By FIS rules, all WC level
competitions are open only to national team-recognized skiers. I agree
it could be different, but quality remains the issue. This is not the
Olympics (which itself has qualifiers).

rm

wrote:
You don't seem to have actually read the posts to which you're
responding. I didn't suggest it was a "simple matter" of a lack of
resoures. In Nordic Combined, the U.S. has two top skiers on the WC
circuit, along with its own team coaches and perhaps waxer(s). With the
cross-country team, the U.S. has at most *one* skier, one with lots
more downs than ups, theoretically capable of competing on the full
Tour de Ski, which ought to in and itself decide the matter (that skier
has also been sick and could not have competed, as it turns out). You
think Vegard Ulvang doesn't know this? What modifications to the Tour
do you think come from this knowledge?

Novice Fla Skiers ralph North American Ski Resorts 1 December 5th 05 05:58 PM
Recommendations for mixed groups, skiers and non-skiers ? John Owens European Ski Resorts 0 July 11th 05 11:47 AM
Attn Skiers lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 2 February 3rd 05 02:42 AM
US skiers does like the women do Janne G Nordic Skiing 0 September 16th 04 07:16 AM
Why don't more skiers use RSN? Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 36 December 3rd 03 02:49 AM