Aero 137.5 roller skis?

Old July 1st 05, 02:41 AM

Default Aero 137.5 roller skis?

Dear group:

In constant pursuit of the holy grail of roller skis, I've tried a few
modifications on my Jenex 150s.

I just had to buy new shafts for my old riveted original model. ( The
rivets had been mostly replaced by stainless bolts as they failed one
by one.) I've always had trouble getting the binding screws to start
perpendicular to the shaft, so I fashioned a binding backup plate of
some aluminum to go inside the shaft, and drilled and tapped both the
shaft and plate for 10-28 stainless machine screws. The bindings
seemed to mount with better precision. I didn't think the shaft
material looked thich enough to hold the machine screws by itself.

I also fashioned plastic "skid plates" that wrap around the underside
of the fat part of the ski where the forks are welded to the shaft, to
protect this vulnerable part and clue me in when I'm "edging" too much.
(That's what finally did in my original shafts after about six years,
or whenever the Aeros were first available.)

Next I've tried replacing the 150mm rear wheel with 125s, in order to
both lighten up the ski and improve the front to back balance somewhat.
It feels good, and so far I haven't had any of the 125 tire problems.
Having the larger, softer 150 in the front still allows the ski roll
over obstacles with most if not all of it's original impunity. If this
works out I may also use 125s on the rear of my 150 CS classic skis

Next I'm going to try the new brake, and try a method of reducing the
"sag " of the ski on recovery that I learned from Sten Fjeldheim, and
then remake and mount the fenders I was using last fall. . .

Randy