heel brakes for 120 mm wheels (was : Heel brakes for 100 mm skate wheels)

Old July 21st 04, 09:31 PM
Laurent Duparchy

Default heel brakes for 120 mm wheels (was : Heel brakes for 100 mm skate wheels)

Thanks ken for the info on Heel brakes.

I've adapted it on my (homemade) rollerskis and it fits perfectly with
my 120 mm wheels, as you can see at
http://lo.dup.chez.tiscali.fr/index.html

The frame of my rollerskis is 40mm wide, while the heel brake is for
34 mm frames. Nevertheless the brake is quite adaptable as you can see
on the second picture.

To achieve an efficient braking I use the following method : assuming
the brake is on the right foot, prepare braking by slightly pulling
you right arm backward, and pushing your left arm forward, lowering
slightly and a little backward your body. Then you can lift your right
foot and apply desired weight on the brake.
Old July 23rd 04, 03:20 PM
Ken Roberts

Default heel brakes for 120 mm wheels

Wow -- that is a rather creative transfer of inline skate technology to
rollerskis.

Interesting that the PowerSlide brake looks to me like it may work better
for 120mm wheels than for 84mm.

Laurent Duparchy wrote
I've adapted it on my (homemade) rollerskis and it fits perfectly with
my 120 mm wheels, as you can see at
http://lo.dup.chez.tiscali.fr/index.html

I assume you've seen that other website with the photos showing how increase
the down-force on the brake pad by attaching a rope to the front of the
skate (or rollerski) and pulling up on it.

Ken

Old July 24th 04, 01:51 PM
Serge

Laurent, if you make the brake pivot on wheel mounted bolts
and attach a cable to other two mounting holes via some bracket
and install return spring it might work like Enduro rollerski
brake.

Pull the cable and brake will pivot and touch the ground w/ski still
having two wheels planted and rolling.

Ken, pulling the front, balancing on rear wheels, having poles clenched
in your hands still is fairly idiotic activity should be reserved for
Central Park only.