Jenex Aero 125 update

Old August 31st 03, 02:39 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Jenex Aero 125 update

I spoke to the Jenex lady and she said they're getting in some thicker
inner tubes shortly.

Looks like they're not going to cover getting me a set of splitrim
wheels under warranty unless I send in all my old wheels to check for
pinchflats. I want to get training again so I think I'll just buy a set
of splits from Dick and be done with it. Even if they still flat they'll
be easy to repair. I'll do what Doug does and bring along a spare wheel
in a fanny pack. Sheesh. What a pain.

Anyway, it looks as if they're realizing that the 125's are really not
good for anyone in the 200 lb range. There is a weight limit for them
fundamentally. This seems based on an informal poll they're doing. I
guess it's a common element in those having problems. Skiers weighing
about 150 are having no probs at all. I'm at 180 or so (185!) and the
lady said I was on the border. So maybe they'll start making a skier
weight recommendation as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they start
more strongly steering 125's away from use on dirt. She didn't
discourage it outright but I sensed that offroad use wasn't panning out
so well.

She said that 150's are experiencing just about ZERO trouble for anyone
of any weight on any surface. ---Except that I've heard they're a bit
harder to balance. I'm having a hard go of it mastering V2 as it is,
so... The word seems to be that the 125 is simply a great feeling ski.
So I hesitate to get a set of 150s.

Apparently the 150s are hugely totally sweet on a dirt road. My 125s
seem sweet to me, tho, on dirt as it is...but I do note that it has to
be dirt in good shape. When our local dirt road gets beat up, like it is
just before/after grading I can't ski it.

I suppose I could work on mastering the isometrics needed to fix the
flats on the nonsplit rims. I was getting pretty good at it for awhile
there. The last 'white spot' rims were lasting much longer between
flats. So maybe I'll also just not spend anything and just try fixing
the flats.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old September 1st 03, 03:01 PM
Jeff Potter

I haven't had a single tire failure. I just get flats. Yeah, I've seen some
of your posts. Trouble all around with these things. I hate to keep pumping
money into something---but maybe I've been to skinflinty from the start.
I've always just used my pro-level Silca floor pump with nice gauge for
these wheels. Maybe my inflation really hasn't been accurate enough. I've
resisted buying a sus-fork pump for $40 after spending $250 on skis. But
maybe now I'll buy the splitrims and get a properly accurate pump. I always
thought my Silca was accurate, but ya never know. A Fox is probably more
accurate to get that magic 85#. --JP

Douglas Diehl wrote:

Jeff,
Check out my posts about the 125's over the last month or so. Apparently
Jenex forgot to install the O rings on my SR 125 rims. I can't tell you if

this was the reason for all the tire failures. I actually was able to wear

one 125 tire out before the bead tore away from the sidewall like the
other
tires. Bad news is this tire wears out much sooner than the 150.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old September 4th 03, 11:57 PM
PDoyle

Question from the new guy. When I decided to teach myself this ski skate
business, I picked up Aero 150's and, reading for a while now about the
troubles with the 125's, I glad I did ( just dumb luck, plus I knew that I'd
be on dirt roads a lot). Has anyone tried a solid tire, like the Elpex
"off-road" tire or the Yak 125 in place of the Jenex tire? Using the same
poly spacer and bushing from the Aero tire, they'd fit the frame. Ride would
not be as smooth. Regards, Pete