Scandanavian Nordic sports magazines?

Old February 17th 10, 04:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

Default Scandanavian Nordic sports magazines?

Anyone know of any? Website links? I see there's Langrenn.com. Do any
have english versions?

I'd like to see a magazine (or site) that shows the whole range of
Nordic sport and culture.

I remember when I was a ski racer back in the mid-80's a pal loaned me
a pile of Scandi XC ski mags...they blew me away. I wonder if seeing
such things would still be impressive. I suppose it's a bit like how
we used to not be able to get any bike racing news here in the US so
the buffs would subscribe to Mirroir.

Now I know we can get XC race news today online quite easily but I'm
wondering if the Scandi media still cover a certain aspect that Nor Am
media/websites tend to neglect. Maybe the wider Nordic picture. ? For
instance, I remember thinking it was cool that the Scandi XC mags
included Jumping right in equally with XC.

What else could they include? Maybe the Nordic Skating or Sparks.
Maybe a more cultured/serious approach to Touring. ? I don't know. I
haven't seen such mags in eons.

If anyone had a pile they could loan or sell to me -- if they seemed
to fit this bill -- that might also be cool.

Thanks, JP
Old February 17th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David Dermott

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, jeff potter wrote:

Anyone know of any? Website links? I see there's Langrenn.com. Do any
have english versions?

I'd like to see a magazine (or site) that shows the whole range of
Nordic sport and culture.

There are magazines about competitive sports
and there are magazines about "Friluftsliv" (non-competitive outdoor
recreation). I am more interested in the latter.

The official magazine of Oslo's Skiforeningen is "Snow & Ski"
but it deals with 4 season friluftsliv. I have 2 winter issues.
The first I bought from a newsstand. The second was sent by an
internet friend , he is one of the leaders in their
turskøyting group (ie nordic-skating). Joining Skiforeningen
would be worth it just to get their magazine, but I'm not sure
about the fees for overseas memberships- maybe Terje knows?

I bought a Swedish cycling magazine "Cykla" which deals mainly
with "motionslopp" cycling (like non-competitive "century rides" in the
US).
But it had a interesting "culture" item about "saltgurka" (salted-gherkins)-
the official snack of Vätternrundan!

http://www.cykla.com/

Outside Magazine has a Swedish version, but it is basically
the same as the American version, and not about typical nordic
friluftsliv.

In spite of the name similarity and the ads for "Outside", the
"net-zine" Utsidan is not connected to "Outside". They have
interesting forums about most friluftsliv activities.
http://www.utsidan.se

"Acceptable languages for posting are Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and
English but expect the replies to be in Swedish!"

The BIG names in the Swedish skating scene are on their skating forum:
http://www.utsidan.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=12

HINT: if you learn to read Norwegian "Bokmål" you should
have little problem reading Swedish and Danish as well.
Reading Norwegian "nynorsk" is a bit more difficult for me.
And the book "Norwegian in 3 Months" really worked!
Actually in less than 3 months I was familiar with
most aspects of grammar. Building a vocabulary takes longer,
even in one's native language.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
WWW pages: http://www.dermott.ca/index.html
Old February 18th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

Thanks, David!

Yeah, I'd want to look into the Wholesome Activity side of things.

About learning foreign languages... I'd think that once you get the
basic grammar down and the 100-300 words of common conversation then
you're good to go. Add the 100 words that pertain to your particular
interest area and you're rockin'.

PS... Ya know, I'm starting to wonder if all sport/racing is the same.
Are the articles and images of XC ski racing (and podiums, athletes,
outfits) all that much different than the pics of any sport? The
equipment might be a bit different but the approaches and attitudes
toward it all are perhaps identical except for a few words.

--JP
Old February 18th 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

PS... I'd like to get a stash of this kind of "friluftliv" magazine. I
don't care if they're a bit old.

I don't mind if a mag has some racing in it but maybe total racing
would be a bit dull -- unless it manages to be cultural at the same
time. I'd think a Scandi mag might be able to pull this off, but who
knows.

I remember seeing an Austrian bike racing tabloid years ago (pre-Net)
that had, jaw dropping to me, an article or two in each issue about
racing heritage and profiles famous races and racers from days of
yore. It fit right in, of course, and gave me sporting uplift. ...And
wasn't anything I'd ever seen in VeloNews, et al. I think some UK bike
mags regularly include heritage articles today. ...Has any US bike (or
outdoor) mag thought to get up to speed in that way? Well, I guess
Dirt Rag is now running "flashback" articles from the 80's.

--JP
Old February 18th 10, 01:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

About learning foreign languages... I'd think that once you get the
basic grammar down and the 100-300 words of common conversation then
you're good to go. Add the 100 words that pertain to your particular
interest area and you're rockin'.

pps... Whups, that would be 100 words to cover the RACING aspect of an
interest area. I recall picking up enough French to understand a bike
racing report in Miroir... "I went hard. I felt good. The pace was
high from the start. It was windy. There was a crash." I remember
being so excited when I first moved to Boulder, CO, and saw that there
was major and regular local/regional bike race coverage. But the
standard was to interview the winner right after the finish...to beat
a press deadline maybe. This method got the SAME DARN QUOTES for every
single race. It was terrible. "Whew, I'm tired. I gave it my best.
Today was our day, thanks to good teamwork."

PS... Ya know, I'm starting to wonder if all sport/racing is the same.

Magazines for sale Walt Alpine Skiing 3 September 12th 06 10:47 PM
Nordic Magazines Paul Cromey Nordic Skiing 3 January 5th 06 03:24 PM
Got my Oct Silent Sports! Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 0 October 6th 04 04:34 PM
Snowboard Magazines Geoff Snowboarding 15 April 6th 04 05:52 PM
Ski Magazines Ste Smith European Ski Resorts 18 October 12th 03 06:25 PM