torrents questions/observations

Old February 1st 06, 12:22 PM

Default torrents questions/observations

I'm a little late getting on the torrents bandwagon but I've managed to
download the Oberstdorf sprints and I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm using the BiTtorent app. When I clicked on the race I wanted
it immediately started downloading. I had to tell Norton's to allow it
to acces my machine but that's all. I didn't see and can't find a
..torrent file anywhere on my machine. I assume that I can still be a
seeder. If not, please let me know.
2 Along the seeding lines, while I was downloading, the program
indicated that there was an upload happening at the same time. The
next day when this was done, there was no upload action showing. I
assume that this is because there was nobody else trying to download at
that time.
3. This took forever (something like 15 hours). It's no problem
because I can simply leave my connection open all night and forget
about it. I assume that it took a long time for two reasons. My
connection speed is relatively slow (I'm at the extreme edge of a DSL
service area), and because this is not a new torrent, there aren't many
folks still seeding it.

And finally, what I like to do with these races is burn them to CD with
Nero and pass them on to friends. Because this race is all in one
piece, it's too big to burn to a CD. My question is this: Is there a
simple edit program that resides in the public domain that I can use to
break this race into two pieces? I'm willing to go out and buy
something if it's sufficiently versitile. And I suppose I could simply
go out and buy a DVD writer now that the price has come down. But I'd
prefer the software solution if it is available.

Thanks,

Andy
Milwaukee, WI

Old February 1st 06, 04:24 PM

piece, it's too big to burn to a CD. My question is this: Is there a
simple edit program that resides in the public domain that I can use to
break this race into two pieces?

If you've got linux or a unix based-OS (e.g. Mac OS X) you can do this
from the command line with split and cat, commands built into the OS.
There's an OS X gui for split and cat avail. for free he
http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/

You could try this: http://www.unganisha.org/home/pages/winsplit/ on
windows. I haven't.

With both of these options the recipients of the file would need to
copy the files to their hard drive and join them (with cat on
linux/unix or winsplit on windows) before they could play them.

df

Old February 1st 06, 06:57 PM
doogiski doogiski is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[...]

Hey Andy,
Great to see another person jumped on the torrent bandwagon.
1. When you downloaded the intial torrent file you probably selected it to open instead of save it, therefore you are right you can't find it.
2. You're right with that one.
3. It depends on your connection and the others that you are downloading from. I've had speed vary from 5kb/s to 150kb/s. You won't get the speeds of the old server but if you leave your computer on overnight the race should be completed overnight. When I am done with the races, I burn them as a data file to DVD for future reference. I suggest spending the $70 for whatever DVD burners are now-a-days since DVD can hold 6.5x more information than a CD. I have all of last years races backed up on 28 CD, but if I burned them to DVD it would've only been 5DVD's. But if you don't have a DVD burner, you can always burn them to CD. I use a program called AVIsplit for editing. It is a simple freeware program and it is very useful for cutting and joining races. It is very simple and efficient to use and I'm sure any newb can figure it out. I'll attach a link so you can download it. It's less than 1MB.
http://www.bobyte.com/AviSplit/index.asp
Hopefully this helps you out a little bit.
Cheers,
Adam
Smithers, BC, Canada
P.S. Can someone start seeding the Marcialonga race? Thanks

Last edited by doogiski : February 1st 06 at 07:01 PM.
Old February 1st 06, 09:45 PM

"doogiski" wrote in message

snip

When I am done with
the races, I burn them as a data file to DVD for future reference. I
suggest spending the $70 for whatever DVD burners are now-a-days since
DVD can hold 6.5x more information than a CD. I have all of last years
races backed up on 28 CD, but if I burned them to DVD it would've only
been 5DVD's. But if you don't have a DVD burner, you can always burn
them to CD.

There are also DVD players that play DIVX material without transcoding to
MPEG-whatever. That means I can put around 10 races on a single DVD and play
them on my TV. I'm using a Phillips 642 ($70 US) DVD player that does this.

P.S. Can someone start seeding the Marcialonga race? Thanks

sorry doogi,
If you're talking about the MaciaLonga05 file on denes: I tried to make a
torrent out of it, but I can't get Azuers to open it for seeding. The help
says "File-Open torrent-for seeding" but when I do that, it opens it for
download instead. So, until I figure it out, there will be no seeding of
eec456d9e611af1f3191cfbec4a35a23f378a6b8MarciaLong a05DL2006-01-31 05:41:18
353.81 MB

If you mean a different Macialonga, then never mind. :-)

Bob

Old February 1st 06, 09:47 PM

"Bob" wrote in message
There are also DVD players that play DIVX material without transcoding to
MPEG-whatever. That means I can put around 10 races on a single DVD and

play
them on my TV. I'm using a Phillips 642 ($70 US) DVD player that does

this.

only thing I don't like about the Phillips : it only displays the first 10
characters of the file name on screen. But it navigates directories on the
disc OK, so I just have to shorten the names and put them into folders
before I burn the DVD.

Bob

Old February 2nd 06, 12:49 AM

Guys,

Thanks for all the usefull information. I knew I came to the right
place.

Andy
Milwaukee, WI

Old February 2nd 06, 03:33 AM
doogiski doogiski is offline
Senior Member

Bob,
Thanks for making a torrent for the Marcialonga races. I was talking about the MarciaLonga05 on the tracker. Sorry I can't help you with your problem since I use utorrent or BitComet and not Azureus like so many of you guys do. Hopefully you can get it going soon though.
Cheers,
Adam
Old February 3rd 06, 07:33 PM

Does your Philips 642 play all the files burned to a dvd? I can play any on
my computer, but many of them do not play on my Philips. Can see all the
files in the directories of the dvd. About half will play, but the rest just
displays a black screen on the TV.
Have not converted the files, just downloaded and burned to dvd.
Any ideas or suggestions?

--
Paul Haltvick
Bay Design and Build - LLC

715-682-2443

Old February 3rd 06, 09:18 PM

"Norski" wrote in message
Does your Philips 642 play all the files burned to a dvd?

I don't know yet. So far, I've been burning them (in DivX format) faster
than I can watch them.

I can play any on
my computer, but many of them do not play on my Philips.

Which model number?

Can see all the
files in the directories of the dvd. About half will play, but the rest

just
displays a black screen on the TV.
Have not converted the files, just downloaded and burned to dvd.

That's what I'm doing, right now. I hope it all works :-/ Were they night
races? ;-)

Any ideas or suggestions?

If I have to, I will go back to making true DVDs using DivxToDvd. It was
working fine but it took more than an hour to make an hour of DVD. I hope
not to have to do it that way.

Bob