To pole or not to pole

Old January 21st 05, 01:01 AM
Mary Malmros

tiandiren wrote:

rosco wrote:

yunlong wrote:

Sven Golly wrote:

"yunlong" wrote in
egroups.com:

then roll downhill "upside down" until your skis come out
the surface.

Good suggestion for anyone on a those flat-boarding 40°
slopes. Will help thin the herd.

Small talk boosts your ego, eh?

"So Mr. Johnson, how'd you injure yourself?"

"Err, my skis got stuck in the pow off High Rustler. So I remember
this guy Yumlong suggests rolling downhill until they come to the

surface.

I tried and the next thing I remember was waking up in ER."

When you stop/get stuck on a "armpit deep powder," you are stuck,
without a 40 degree slope to roll, you probably can't even recover;

now

try to find your just released ski, while each step the boot sinks

you

even deeper.

Maybe you need to learn how to roll as well?

Yunlong, I have just viewed your videos. I am sorry, but this
is some sad skiing. This is not up for discussion. This is a fact.

In your narrow mindedness, yes.

"When ten men tell you you're drunk, you'd better lie down."

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 21st 05, 01:12 AM
Mary Malmros

tiandiren wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

tiandiren wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

(snipp)

Yup, you look very shrewd with a idiotic language.
In the realm of arrogance, idiotic reigns.

sting

If you really wanted to insult us, you could find
more entertaining ways to do so.

Not really, as I said, you did that pretty well yourself.

In English there is a saying: "The frying pan should
not call the kettle black." which means that you
should not criticize people for faults that you exhibit.

Yup, English is your native language, you should understand
your advice well,

There is little language here more idiotic than yours
and less arrogance.

whether or not you can do it is depended on your honesty and
discipline.

sting

That's better, that's much better. Now just leave off the
"sting" at the end. It's a little tacky.

"Flightofbumblebee, it flies like a dream of a butterfly and stings
like a bumblebee."

Damn, can't you even take the trouble to get your cultural references
somewhat close to right?

That's to say if you want to discuss, we discuss, and if you want to
bash, we bash; we are flexible.

The way of Tai Chi,

Bull****. The way of Muhammad Ali, ignoramus.

Old January 21st 05, 01:34 AM
tiandiren

Mary Malmros wrote:
tiandiren wrote:

In your narrow mindedness, yes.

"When ten men tell you you're drunk, you'd better lie down."

"While Peng (a mystical condor) rises for a ninety thousand miles
excursion, "a cicada and a young dove laugh at Peng, saying, 'When we
try hard, we can reach the trees, but sometimes we fall short and drop
on the ground. How is it possible to rise ninety thousand li and head
south?'"-Chuang Tsu, "Happy Wandering," Ch. 1-(Tr. Gia-Fu Feng)

sting

Old January 21st 05, 01:45 AM
bdubya

On 20 Jan 2005 18:34:18 -0800, "tiandiren"
wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:
tiandiren wrote:

In your narrow mindedness, yes.

"When ten men tell you you're drunk, you'd better lie down."

"While Peng (a mystical condor) rises for a ninety thousand miles
excursion, "a cicada and a young dove laugh at Peng, saying, 'When we
try hard, we can reach the trees, but sometimes we fall short and drop
on the ground. How is it possible to rise ninety thousand li and head
south?'"-Chuang Tsu, "Happy Wandering," Ch. 1-(Tr. Gia-Fu Feng)

When offered a high position at the palace, Chuang-tse refused, wisely
emulating the turtle happily dragging its tail in the mud of the
riverbank, instead of the mummified turtle that was venerated at the
palace. Why, then, do you pretend to the high station, instead of
admitting that you're just dragging your tail in the mud, and being
content?

bw
Old January 21st 05, 02:44 AM
Mary Malmros

tiandiren wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

tiandiren wrote:

In your narrow mindedness, yes.

"When ten men tell you you're drunk, you'd better lie down."

"While Peng (a mystical condor) rises for a ninety thousand miles

[yakety yak]

Wow, that's deep. I bet you get a lot of suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hstudents
who say, "Wow, lookit this guy, he's all mystical and oriental-like, I
can learn to ski and it'll be all zen and tao and tai chi and tae bo and
like that!"

I will give yunlong credit for this much, he does know how to pick a
sheep for shearing. There sure are aplenty spiritual tourists with
disposable incomes wandering around looking to give some of it to any
charlatan who spouts a buncha pseudo-Eastern-esoteric-mystical crap.

Old January 21st 05, 02:51 AM
Wayne Decker

No! I absolutely want their hands forward--but I don't want them sticking
their poles out--thinking they can use them to slow or stop. I do my best
to teach them to keep their thumbs in view on both sides all the time. At
first I try to get them to think of holding on to the handlebars of a
bicycle--or on to the steering wheel of a big truck.

--
I ski, therefore I am
"LePheaux" wrote in message

"Wayne Decker" wrote in message
m...
Wow! Quite a discussion.! Since I often ski without my poles--you can
probably guess how I feel. I watch people. If their body language

tells
me
that they are using their poles as a security blanket--I take them away.
Once they seem to realize that skiing happens on the skiis and not the
poles
I give them back--with the caveat that if I see them creap forward--I'll
take them away again.

Are you saying you don't want their hands forward ?

Old January 21st 05, 03:01 AM
tiandiren

Mary Malmros wrote:
tiandiren wrote:

"Flightofbumblebee, it flies like a dream of a butterfly and
stings like a bumblebee."

Damn, can't you even take the trouble to get your cultural
references somewhat close to right?

Those extreme human wisdom is beyond your little mind's grasp.

That's to say if you want to discuss, we discuss, and if you want

bash, we bash; we are flexible.

The way of Tai Chi,

Bull****.

Ahh... Uncontrollable eruption of a little mind.

The way of Muhammad Ali, ignoramus.

Arrogance for arrogant, fair enough.

sting

Old January 21st 05, 03:27 AM
tiandiren

wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:
tiandiren wrote:

In your narrow mindedness, yes.

"When ten men tell you you're drunk, you'd better lie down."

"While Peng (a mystical condor) rises for a ninety thousand miles
excursion, "a cicada and a young dove laugh at Peng, saying, 'When

we
try hard, we can reach the trees, but sometimes we fall short and

drop
on the ground. How is it possible to rise ninety thousand li and

head
south?'"-Chuang Tsu, "Happy Wandering," Ch. 1-(Tr. Gia-Fu Feng)

When offered a high position at the palace, Chuang-tse refused,

wisely
emulating the turtle happily dragging its tail in the mud of
the riverbank, instead of the mummified turtle that was
venerated at the palace.

In the ancient China, "accompany to the emperor is like accompany with
a tiger," you don't know when he would turn on you, stay far from it is
not just a good idea but also life-saving move. And he knows full will
the high position is just another vanity fair, ain't worth the trouble.

Why, then, do you pretend to the high station, instead of
admitting that you're just dragging your tail in the mud, and
being content?

True knowledge is priceless, and worth the trouble to strike for it.
tiendiren

bw

Old January 21st 05, 04:20 AM
LePheaux

wrote in message
oups.com...

snoig wrote:
"yunlong" wrote in message
ups.com...
IS

So which BLUE trail was that at Breckenridge?

Ya know, it sure is a shame that in 20 years of skiing you haven't

improved
at all.

snoig

Not only his skiing. If he's been skiing in the States for 20 years
it's a amazing his english hasn't improved either. I guess his skiing
skills are only surpassed by his linguistic talent.
Then again, maybe he's FlatMouthing. ;-)

Heh Heh.

Old January 21st 05, 04:25 AM
LePheaux

"VtSkier" wrote in message

We've been there and every time someone writes about
pole use in a turn and other uses for poles, you tell
us we are "idiotic". That, sir, is no way to win an
argument.

It's getting a little tedious here for me to have
a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Indeed. I've sent the notice out to all the villages missing an idiot.
maybe the reward for troll house cookies will find him a new village.

pole length steve Nordic Skiing 6 December 22nd 04 04:21 AM
Pole Planting. Mark A Framness Alpine Skiing 4 March 26th 04 04:50 PM
Palm side exit point for pole length measure -JP- Nordic Skiing 1 March 22nd 04 03:02 AM
pole length question Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 February 2nd 04 03:11 AM
Infinity Pole Report - Didn't Snap It Dell Todd Nordic Skiing 0 January 5th 04 02:46 PM