best digital camera for skiing?

Old January 20th 04, 06:38 PM
John Moore

Default best digital camera for skiing?

I hope no one minds if I jump in on this thread and ask a closely
related question. This year, my girlfriend and I want to get some
video of us skiing, as an instructional aid. When I say video, though,
I don't necessarily mean that I need a camcorder, because I'm pretty
sure that a short burst of moving footage such as you can get with
digital cameras would be entirely sufficient, and I've no wish to keep
it for posterity. When a friend 'filmed' me last year with his digital
camera, though, the image was too small and distant to be of much real
use, so I need to do it differently this year.

So, from anyone who's done this, what sort of digital camera do you
need to get a good shot of someone skiing towards and past the
cameraman (ie., what level of zoom)? And would these things continue
to keep the skier in focus as s/he came towards the camera, without
manual intervention?

Any help from experience would be welcome!
Old January 20th 04, 10:19 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

James Bassuk wrote:

.. Seems to me if you spend pennies on a CF card, then you get what you paid
for. BUt shouldn't, in theory, "good" CF cards work everywhere? ...

Yes, but there are some incompatibilities. I have one off-brand cheapo
card that only works in one Nikon camera and not my other. You will know
as soon as you power up if it works. "Good cards" should not be a
problem.

Mike...

--
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Old January 23rd 04, 02:05 PM
Greg Hilton

James Bassuk wrote in
. washington.edu:

it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to

fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

all feedback is welcome!

thanks,
jim bassuk
edmonds, wa

I'd recommend the Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400)

Here are some pics taken by a friends Ixus 400 in November 2003. some of
these pics were taken with an Ixus 1 and some with an Ixus 2.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?
action=viewall&albumID=102843534

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?
action=viewall&albumID=102824417

Old January 28th 04, 03:34 PM
Chuck

Greg Hilton wrote in
:

James Bassuk wrote in
. washington.edu:

it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to

fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

all feedback is welcome!

thanks,
jim bassuk
edmonds, wa

I'd recommend the Canon PowerShot S400 (Digital IXUS 400)

Here are some pics taken by a friends Ixus 400 in November 2003. some
of these pics were taken with an Ixus 1 and some with an Ixus 2.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?
action=viewall&albumID=102843534

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?
action=viewall&albumID=102824417

Tried to view the pics but got the following error:

"A problem has been detected.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in."

I think you need to "invite" us to see the pics.
--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email

Old January 28th 04, 07:17 PM
Greg Hilton

Tried to view the pics but got the following error:

"A problem has been detected.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in."

Do these links work?

http://community.webshots.com/album/102843534QQtuAl
http://community.webshots.com/album/102824417qDewYW

Old January 29th 04, 02:39 AM
AstroPax

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:17:03 CST, Greg Hilton wrote:

Do these links work?

http://community.webshots.com/album/102843534QQtuAl
http://community.webshots.com/album/102824417qDewYW

Yup, that works.

BTW, nice shots.

Not bad for a Canon P&S.

-Astro

For Auction: Thermal Imaging Camera - One Day Left sell2all Nordic Skiing 0 April 29th 04 05:44 PM
Digital Video/Still Cameras on the mountain Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 6 March 15th 04 11:29 AM
using digital camera on the mountain Dmitry Snowboarding 14 March 4th 04 03:07 AM
The Daily Camera wamu Snowboarding 4 October 31st 03 07:52 PM
The Daily Camera wamu Nordic Skiing 0 October 31st 03 02:02 PM