Tignes

Old January 16th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default Tignes

Mike Clark wrote:

If the snow doesn't improve in the next two weeks you might wish to pick
and choose which pistes to ski on. The Espace Killy pass is not much
more than a weeks Tignes pass and there are some good beginners slopes
up above Val D'Isere.

Mike

Yeah - some of it's getting dicey, but there's still some sweet skiing,
especially up on the Motte. Sunday just gone - did Chaudannes, down to
Lac (JamBar for breakfast bap and coffee) Palafour,Merles, down into
Val Claret, up Fresse, down to Tommeuse, Piste H and Trolles. All
lovely. Had a beer in the Loop and did Trolles again just coz we could.
Colder temperatures are helping.

Bit of snow forecast for the end of the week, but the temperature might
creep up again. Why can't it make it's mind up?

Matt

Old January 16th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike Clark

In message
Ace wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:34:36 +0000, Bill Seddon
billatremoveseddonendo.com wrote:

Mike Clark wrote:

Yes Trolles tends to catch the sun and gets very icy in lean periods,
but has the advantage of being quite wide. I quite enjoy it as a run but
you have to be comfortable on steep icy pistes, and for me the major
hassle is avoiding the many out of control skiers who are not fully
competent at holding an edge.

That's not hassle, that's what makes it so much fun ;-) I tend to stay
pretty much left om the steep section, which avoids most of those that
follow the path across and down to the right. Of course, this also
helps to 'go for it' from higher up, giving a better chance of getting
all the way up to the Aeroski or the road at the bottom.

I suppose it's a different approach to skiing. My passion is for
ski-touring and ski-mountaineering where the pleasure comes from the
lack of crowds and from the technicalities of coping with different snow
conditions and the mountain hazards. Early in the season I try to get in
some extra practice on-piste and between the pistes at high resorts like
Espace Killy and the the 3Vs. However I don't get a lot of pleasure out
of weaving my way through crowded pistes and try to find those pistes
and times when I don't have to be too concerned. On pistes like Trolles
which are busy highways towards the end of the day I tend to pick a more
difficult and narrow line at the edge (e.g on the left as you say
above) since that reduces the numbers of out of control bodies to avoid.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

Tignes bootfitter Bill Seddon European Ski Resorts 30 November 22nd 06 03:12 PM
tignes david European Ski Resorts 0 March 8th 05 07:29 PM
Tignes, Haute Tarentaise, France Joe Hunt European Ski Resorts 1 February 20th 05 06:45 AM
Tignes PG European Ski Resorts 20 October 17th 03 12:30 PM
Tignes Glacier Update David Off European Ski Resorts 4 July 21st 03 03:06 PM