Mountain High

Old February 16th 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Default Mountain High

Bob F wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
Bob F wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
I'm taking my grandspawn there tomorrow for a snowboard lesson.
Yes, they embrace the Dark Side, what can you do? Anybody else
going there tomorrow?

Why not try a lesson yourself? After the first couple days,
snowboarding is fun.

No after the first couple of days you can do it and so don't have to
do it anymore

Nothing to learn about liking turns in the bumps?

Sorry - linking turns.

Old February 16th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_7_]

On 02/16/2010 03:43 AM, Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/15/2010 04:58 PM, Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
I'm taking my grandspawn there tomorrow for a snowboard lesson. Yes,
they embrace the Dark Side, what can you do? Anybody else going there
tomorrow?

Yep. Somebody else will go there, you can bet on it.

The chances of you showing up with your kneebiter and having the hill
completely to yourself is highly unlikely.

Oh ha ha ha ha. I suppose I should have been more specific and asked if
anyone reading my message was planning on going and if so perhaps we
could meet. So far I've met only 4 internet people.

Interesting. Just about everybody I know uses the internet these days.
It seems odd that you've met only four.

Great bleeding Christ on a crutch! Yeah, my language has been sloppy of late.
I clearly meant that I have met only four net-friends in real life, and one
of those was a spouse previously unknown to me..

Maybe you need to get out more?

Possibly.

The kids had a good day. Boy's skateboarding experience proved valuable, but
girl had more trouble. I made a stranger happy by selling him half of my
two-for-one ticket, the Tuesday Special. It was about as crappy as I expected,
but I spent a lot of time with the kids and taking pictures. Crowded, slow
lifts, longish (for SoCal weekday) lines, more ice than necessary (they don't
groom every night). In their favor, they're close and have a lot of beginner
area, even if the non-beginners blast through it with alarming frequency.

The snowboard instructor did NOT mention either the
you-must-avoid-the-people-below-you rule or the fact that boarders are
frequently blind on one side and must take extra care not to bash into people.
I find that shocking.

I'll take them to Big Bear or even Snow Valley if they want to go again. Not MH.

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land
Old February 17th 10, 11:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Bob F wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
Bob F wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
I'm taking my grandspawn there tomorrow for a snowboard lesson.
Yes, they embrace the Dark Side, what can you do? Anybody else
going there tomorrow?

Why not try a lesson yourself? After the first couple days,
snowboarding is fun.

No after the first couple of days you can do it and so don't have to
do it anymore

Nothing to learn about liking turns in the bumps?

Linked turns I can do (with the occasional splat) but take a snowboard into
the bumps? why?

I don't really like the feeling of snowboarding, it starts with facing
sideways and then when you add the edge delay I don't enjoy it much. next
time I try I'll try hard boot (the first time I tried snowboarding it was in
my skiboots and the the inclination angle is wrong but the wasn't the
vagueness of a soft boot) and Duckfoot, maybe I'll like that?

--

Chris *:-)

Old February 17th 10, 11:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

The Real Bev wrote:
I have met only four net-friends in real
life, and one of those was a spouse previously unknown to me..

Wait. What?

You met someone over the internet and it turned out that you were
*married* to him but didn't know it? How many spouses do you have out
there?

//Walt

Old February 17th 10, 02:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

MoonMan wrote:
Bob F wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
Bob F wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

What do you mean by "edge delay"?

Did you get instruction? Learning to twist the board to initiate turns makes a
huge difference in the ease and safety of turns.

Old February 17th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_7_]

On 02/17/2010 04:27 AM, Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
I have met only four net-friends in real
life, and one of those was a spouse previously unknown to me..

Wait. What?

You met someone over the internet and it turned out that you were
*married* to him but didn't know it? How many spouses do you have out
there?

I hate people who are more pedantic than I am.

I just figured out why Mountain High sucks so badly, aside from stuff that can
be attributed to poor management. The majority of visitors rent. At Big Bear
most people own their equipment and many live there all year round, but MH
caters to the marginal contingent not truly dedicated to improvement.

It was also shocking just how many children were there who should have been in
school.

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land
Old February 17th 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

The Real Bev wrote:
I have met only four net-friends in real
life, and one of those was a spouse previously unknown to me..

Wait. What?

You met someone over the internet and it turned out that you were
*married* to him but didn't know it? How many spouses do you have out
there?

I hate people who are more pedantic than I am.

I just figured out why Mountain High sucks so badly, aside from stuff
that can be attributed to poor management. The majority of visitors
rent. At Big Bear most people own their equipment and many live there
all year round, but MH caters to the marginal contingent not truly
dedicated to improvement.

It was also shocking just how many children were there who should have
been in school.

Presidents day and this week is a holiday for most school children.
Is the left coast on a different federal holiday schedule?

I met my wife on the net and have met several people from events posted
on the net that I have been involved with.
Old February 17th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_2_]

The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

Its also reading week for some of the Universities, my oldest daughter
will be home for 10 days beginning tomorrow.
Old February 17th 10, 04:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

Seattle schools are shut down this week also, I'm told.

Old February 17th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

Universities? You mean to tell me you're a ****ing Brit?
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
What makes this even more hilarious is that you just busted yourself
as a dickless pussy liar!!!!!!!!
Hey, pussy boi? Did you fly all the way over here to set up your
supposed meet at the Issaquah Starbucks? (you should have checked
google a little better, I can think of three of them off-hand)? You
know, the one you set up when you knew I was in Utah?
Hell, I thought you were a pussy for doing it that way, and so did
everybody else, but to cop to being out of the ****ing country while
calling me a coward for not showing up to a meet while you were hiding
across a ****ing ocean is pussyhood on a Brain Fried Thompson scale.
Almost as pussy as an EMERGENCY SOCCER GAME!!!!!
Holy ****, you can't make this crap up.