Just to start an On topic argument

Old January 19th 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Default Just to start an On topic argument

After some research, I have come to the conclusion that we, as a group, are
wrong in accusing Snowboarders of being the worst culpits of the heinous
crime of pushing snow down the mountain. After spending some time outside
bars on mountains at several ski areas in Europe and Canada, for short
periods of sustenance I have noticed that Telemark skiers push much more
snow dow the hill than any other slope user (apart from possibly those silly
bikes).

Discuss

--
Chris *:-)

Rule 1 - Me first
Rule 2 - Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!
Rule 3 - Skis at the bottom, Head at the top!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 19th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

MoonMan wrote:
After some research, I have come to the conclusion that we, as a group, are
wrong in accusing Snowboarders of being the worst culpits of the heinous
crime of pushing snow down the mountain. After spending some time outside
bars on mountains at several ski areas in Europe and Canada, for short
periods of sustenance I have noticed that Telemark skiers push much more
snow dow the hill than any other slope user (apart from possibly those silly
bikes).

Discuss

I don't see it. Most of the tele skiers I see are making a big arc,
skiding a little, but not much. I can't recall ever seeing anyone
sideslip on tele gear.

Anyway, why should this matter to someone who skis a friggin' dry slope?
Do the pinna-heads scrape off the dendex?

//Walt
Old January 19th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Jan 19, 8:47*am, "MoonMan"
wrote:
After some research, I have come to the conclusion that we, as a group, are
wrong in accusing Snowboarders of being the worst culpits of the heinous
crime of pushing snow down the mountain. After spending some time outside
bars on mountains at several ski areas in Europe and Canada, for short
periods of sustenance I have noticed that Telemark skiers push much more
snow dow the hill than any other slope user (apart from possibly those silly
bikes).

Discuss

The problem I have with them is the GIANT swath they take to get down
an untracked slope. Sure, there are a few that can make a nice tight
line and 8 or spoon. But usually they start at one side, make a big
turn to the other side into another giant turn. In hindsight it is a
lot better than those 5' wide, wavy, flatspots that the toys lay down.
Or even the big flat spot that "good" toyriders leave when they make
the same side to side damage.
Old January 19th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_2_]

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:47:04 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote:

After some research, I have come to the conclusion that we, as a group, are
wrong in accusing Snowboarders of being the worst culpits of the heinous
crime of pushing snow down the mountain. After spending some time outside
bars on mountains at several ski areas in Europe and Canada, for short
periods of sustenance I have noticed that Telemark skiers push much more
snow dow the hill than any other slope user (apart from possibly those silly
bikes).

Discuss

You're right 100%, you have spent too much time in bars outside.
Old January 20th 10, 09:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Walt wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
After some research, I have come to the conclusion that we, as a
group, are wrong in accusing Snowboarders of being the worst culpits
of the heinous crime of pushing snow down the mountain. After
spending some time outside bars on mountains at several ski areas in
Europe and Canada, for short periods of sustenance I have noticed
that Telemark skiers push much more snow dow the hill than any other
slope user (apart from possibly those silly bikes).

Discuss

I don't see it. Most of the tele skiers I see are making a big arc,
skiding a little, but not much. I can't recall ever seeing anyone
sideslip on tele gear.

From observation, mainly in Courmayeur and Chamonix, Big skiddy turns
followed imediatly by another big skiddy turn, mind you the really good ones
just look like they're skiing normally until you look at thier feet

Anyway, why should this matter to someone who skis a friggin' dry
slope? Do the pinna-heads scrape off the dendex?

Sadly I've just come back from a week of perpetual snow in Chamonix followed
by a week at work, then a week playing in the powder in Alp D' huez to find
the Dendex has re-appeared from under the snow, which is sad, but does mean
We can put slalom poles in without a prybar.

The only telemarker I've ever seen at our slope, turned up on a tandem,
because the skis where to long for his normal bike.

Old January 20th 10, 09:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

wrote:

After some research, I have come to the conclusion that we, as a
group, are wrong in accusing Snowboarders of being the worst culpits
of the heinous crime of pushing snow down the mountain. After
spending some time outside bars on mountains at several ski areas in
Europe and Canada, for short periods of sustenance I have noticed
that Telemark skiers push much more snow dow the hill than any other
slope user (apart from possibly those silly bikes).

Discuss

You're right 100%, you have spent too much time in bars outside.

Sorry, how is that possible? you need the occasional stop between runs don't
you?

Old January 20th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
"MoonMan" wrote:

Walt wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
After some research, I have come to the conclusion that we, as a
group, are wrong in accusing Snowboarders of being the worst culpits
of the heinous crime of pushing snow down the mountain. After
spending some time outside bars on mountains at several ski areas in
Europe and Canada, for short periods of sustenance I have noticed
that Telemark skiers push much more snow dow the hill than any other
slope user (apart from possibly those silly bikes).

Discuss

I spent several years as a terrible snowboarder, but finally developed
into an "advanced mediocre" snowboarder. While I'd love to blame the
oddly overpacked and/or remarkably well equipped for a day of inbound
skiing (what do they keep in those backpacks!?) telemarketer skiers for
powder scraping, I usually see them in steep rocky places where I
wouldn't try to recover my grand daddy's watch, if I dropped it there,
and if I found myself there, I'd wait for the spring thaw to rappel
down.

Whereas, I personally, in the years 1996-1999 personally squashed,
smushed, scraped, or otherwise completely ruined 70% of the easily
accessible powder in the state of Utah, and on really bad days, managed,
to ruin some of the less desirable powder around tree wells and under
lodge roofs. I really think snowboarders are worse about that.
Old January 20th 10, 09:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_7_]

Dave Cartman wrote:

In article ,
"MoonMan" wrote:
Walt wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
After some research, I have come to the conclusion that we, as a
group, are wrong in accusing Snowboarders of being the worst culpits
of the heinous crime of pushing snow down the mountain. After
spending some time outside bars on mountains at several ski areas in
Europe and Canada, for short periods of sustenance I have noticed
that Telemark skiers push much more snow dow the hill than any other
slope user (apart from possibly those silly bikes).

Discuss

I spent several years as a terrible snowboarder, but finally developed
into an "advanced mediocre" snowboarder. While I'd love to blame the
oddly overpacked and/or remarkably well equipped for a day of inbound
skiing (what do they keep in those backpacks!?)

Good question. If you get here early enough it's a couple of hundred feet from
your car to the closest lift. The snack bar and restrooms are even closer. I
have a couple of cups of coffee at 8:30 and ski until 11:30 without the need to
pee, but perhaps the backpack-people have unfortunate problems and fill their
packs with Depends or large plastic bottles. Gonar? Any input?

telemarketer skiers for
powder scraping, I usually see them in steep rocky places where I
wouldn't try to recover my grand daddy's watch, if I dropped it there,
and if I found myself there, I'd wait for the spring thaw to rappel
down.

Whereas, I personally, in the years 1996-1999 personally squashed,
smushed, scraped, or otherwise completely ruined 70% of the easily
accessible powder in the state of Utah, and on really bad days, managed,
to ruin some of the less desirable powder around tree wells and under
lodge roofs. I really think snowboarders are worse about that.

No worry here, we don't have powder and we have big machines that transport
whatever snow is forcibly migrated down the hill back up to the top during the
night.

Is migrate a transitive verb?

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land
Old January 20th 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_2_]

wrote:

After some research, I have come to the conclusion that we, as a
group, are wrong in accusing Snowboarders of being the worst culpits
of the heinous crime of pushing snow down the mountain. After
spending some time outside bars on mountains at several ski areas in
Europe and Canada, for short periods of sustenance I have noticed
that Telemark skiers push much more snow dow the hill than any other
slope user (apart from possibly those silly bikes).

Discuss

You're right 100%, you have spent too much time in bars outside.

Sorry, how is that possible? you need the occasional stop between runs don't
you?

Depends on the quality of establishment, and the sights it contained.
Under the correct circumstances one could forego the entire afternoon
in the grander name of research
Old January 21st 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

The Real Bev wrote:

No worry here, we don't have powder and we have big machines that
transport whatever snow is forcibly migrated down the hill back up to
the top during the night.

Is migrate a transitive verb?

No, it's transPORTitive in that sense. HTH HAND