USA East Coast - where?

Old February 23rd 04, 10:07 AM
Ian

Default USA East Coast - where?

Hi,

Just back from another superb 8 days en famille at Les Arcs, we've been to
the Alps for many years now and fancy perhaps not doing the 800 mile each
way drive for a change next year. So what about the States? Somewhere with a
direct flight and short transfers (boys are 7, 9 and 12). Would really
appreciate recommendations - is there anywhere approaching the Alps,
Killington perhaps? Have heard it's great service etc. but not that
extensive in the US - all thoughts welcome,

Ta,

Ian

Old February 23rd 04, 10:33 AM
'Hog

Ian wrote:
Hi,

Just back from another superb 8 days en famille at Les Arcs, we've
been to the Alps for many years now and fancy perhaps not doing the
800 mile each way drive for a change next year. So what about the
States? Somewhere with a direct flight and short transfers (boys are
7, 9 and 12). Would really appreciate recommendations - is there
anywhere approaching the Alps, Killington perhaps? Have heard it's
great service etc. but not that extensive in the US - all thoughts
welcome,

The Sunday River area on the Eastern side of the US is quite a nice place
and cuts down on the travel time and lag.

--
'Hog

Old February 23rd 04, 10:34 AM
Greg Hilton

"Ian" wrote in
:

Hi,

Just back from another superb 8 days en famille at Les Arcs, we've
been to the Alps for many years now and fancy perhaps not doing the
800 mile each way drive for a change next year. So what about the
States? Somewhere with a direct flight and short transfers (boys are
7, 9 and 12). Would really appreciate recommendations - is there
anywhere approaching the Alps, Killington perhaps? Have heard it's
great service etc. but not that extensive in the US - all thoughts
welcome,

I'd head West if I was going US skiing. East coast can be freezing cold
(skied one day at Mount Snow and had to come in every hour it was that
cold), rain one day, snow the next, and hence can be icy.

Regards,

Greg

Old February 23rd 04, 10:40 AM
Paul Schofield

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
"Ian" wrote in
:

Hi,

Just back from another superb 8 days en famille at Les Arcs, we've
been to the Alps for many years now and fancy perhaps not doing the
800 mile each way drive for a change next year. So what about the
States? Somewhere with a direct flight and short transfers (boys are
7, 9 and 12). Would really appreciate recommendations - is there
anywhere approaching the Alps, Killington perhaps? Have heard it's
great service etc. but not that extensive in the US - all thoughts
welcome,

Does anyone have any experience of Tremblant - it would seem to have the
advantage of a resort at the ski station and looks okay in the photos. Of
course the Quebecois are more surly than the real French and even less
likely to use English, but maybe in the resort the American service attitude
prevails.

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old February 23rd 04, 10:54 AM
PG

"Paul Schofield" wrote in message

| "Greg Hilton" wrote in message
| "Ian" wrote in
| :
|

| Does anyone have any experience of Tremblant - it would seem to have
the
| advantage of a resort at the ski station and looks okay in the photos.
Of
| course the Quebecois are more surly than the real French and even less
| likely to use English, but maybe in the resort the American service
attitude
| prevails.

Cheek of these frogs, actually expecting foreign visitors to at least
try to speak a few words of French to the locals, taught as main foreign
language in the majority of anglophone countries around the world,
widely spoken on five continents and in many countries as a native
tongue, a lingua franca of business, diplomacy and of major
international organisations..... etc .... etc
;°)

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old February 23rd 04, 11:07 AM
Ace

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:07:34 +0000 (UTC), "Ian"
wrote:

Hi,

Just back from another superb 8 days en famille at Les Arcs, we've been to
the Alps for many years now and fancy perhaps not doing the 800 mile each
way drive for a change next year. So what about the States? Somewhere with a
direct flight and short transfers (boys are 7, 9 and 12). Would really
appreciate recommendations - is there anywhere approaching the Alps,
Killington perhaps? Have heard it's great service etc. but not that
extensive in the US - all thoughts welcome,

Killington's not huge, 'tis true, but has some good skiing in the
right conditions. It does have a great atmosphere in the village,
though :-))

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 23rd 04, 11:14 AM
Paul Schofield

"PG" wrote in message

"Paul Schofield" wrote in message

| "Greg Hilton" wrote in message
| "Ian" wrote in
| :
|

| Does anyone have any experience of Tremblant - it would seem to have
the
| advantage of a resort at the ski station and looks okay in the photos.
Of
| course the Quebecois are more surly than the real French and even less
| likely to use English, but maybe in the resort the American service
attitude
| prevails.

Cheek of these frogs, actually expecting foreign visitors to at least
try to speak a few words of French to the locals, taught as main foreign
language in the majority of anglophone countries around the world,
widely spoken on five continents and in many countries as a native
tongue, a lingua franca of business, diplomacy and of major
international organisations..... etc .... etc
;°)

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Don't get me wrong I concur entirely, even if my efforts in Meribel last
week were often replied to in Antipodean accented English. However my
experience of the Quebecois (non-skiing) is that even trying to speak French
usually produces a shrug of non-understanding without any attempt to help
out with a little English. It may be a point to consider since travelling
anywhere else in North America this is a non-issue. This is one of the
answers I was hoping for from my original post.

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old February 23rd 04, 11:30 AM
PG

"Paul Schofield" wrote in message

| "PG" wrote in message
| |
| | Does anyone have any experience of Tremblant - it would seem to
have
| the
| | advantage of a resort at the ski station and looks okay in the
photos.
| Of
| | course the Quebecois are more surly than the real French and even
less
| | likely to use English, but maybe in the resort the American
service
| attitude
| | prevails.
|
| Cheek of these frogs, actually expecting foreign visitors to at
least
| try to speak a few words of French to the locals, taught as main
foreign
| language in the majority of anglophone countries around the world,
| widely spoken on five continents and in many countries as a native
| tongue, a lingua franca of business, diplomacy and of major
| international organisations..... etc .... etc
| ;°)
|
| Don't get me wrong I concur entirely, even if my efforts in Meribel
last
| week were often replied to in Antipodean accented English. However my
| experience of the Quebecois (non-skiing) is that even trying to speak
French
| usually produces a shrug of non-understanding without any attempt to
help
| out with a little English. It may be a point to consider since
travelling
| anywhere else in North America this is a non-issue. This is one of the
| answers I was hoping for from my original post.

Not surprised, we had a Quebecois couple staying in our studio flat last
week, very pleasant too, but the worst French accent of all imo to
understand. Even my French wife had to concentrate pretty hard...

Pete

Old February 23rd 04, 12:40 PM
Clive Perry

"Ian" wrote in message
Hi,

Just back from another superb 8 days en famille at Les Arcs, we've been to
the Alps for many years now and fancy perhaps not doing the 800 mile each
way drive for a change next year. So what about the States? Somewhere with

direct flight and short transfers (boys are 7, 9 and 12). Would really
appreciate recommendations - is there anywhere approaching the Alps,
Killington perhaps? Have heard it's great service etc. but not that
extensive in the US - all thoughts welcome,

Ta,

Ian

Ian,

This is something we have done for a few years now. Stowe is a good place,
plenty enough skiing for a week and 4 pretty steep black double diamonds to
keep you amused should it be required. You used to be able to ski over to
Smugglers Notch but last time we went this arrangement had been terminated.
Some disagreement between the 'owners' ( marketeers more like ) of the two
ski areas I believe. Maybe this dispute has been resolved which will give
even more scope to the skiing available in the Stowe area.

Another option we have taken is to base ourselves in Southern Vermont -
Manchester area - and ski some of the local ski areas reachable within a 20
to 60 minute drive. Stratton, Bromley, Okemo and Magic Mountain are all
worth a days skiing. Stratton and Okemo will amuse you for longer than a day
as they have quite large ski areas. Chuck any of these into Google and you
will find their web sites which should give you an idea of what to expect.

Cold I hear!!

Yes it's true it does get very very cold, however I found by dressing
properly and taking regular breaks it is not a reason to discount skiing in
New England. Not every day is cold I can assure you, we had a day at Bromley
last February that was like skiing in the Alps in April. Also I was in Les
Deux Alpes last week and on Friday it was colder than I have ever
experienced in VT.

Cheers

Clive

Old February 23rd 04, 06:42 PM
Colin Irvine

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:33:52 -0000, "'Hog" squeezed
out the following:

Ian wrote:
Hi,

Just back from another superb 8 days en famille at Les Arcs, we've
been to the Alps for many years now and fancy perhaps not doing the
800 mile each way drive for a change next year. So what about the
States? Somewhere with a direct flight and short transfers (boys are
7, 9 and 12). Would really appreciate recommendations - is there
anywhere approaching the Alps, Killington perhaps? Have heard it's
great service etc. but not that extensive in the US - all thoughts
welcome,

The Sunday River area on the Eastern side of the US is quite a nice place
and cuts down on the travel time and lag.

No long runs, though, and you need a car. Nice selection of
micro-breweries!

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.