In search of an uphill

Old July 23rd 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Matt Liebsch

Default In search of an uphill

Ok you east metro skiers, I need to find an uphill with at least 5min
of sustained climbing (doesn't need to be super steep, but lower
traffic and the ability to ski back down is a plus), because there is
nothing over on the Westside of the metro greater than 2.5min. I am
hoping to find something a little closer than Afton, maybe in St. Paul
or nearby. Ahvo mentioned something to me about uphill near 61? Any
recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Old July 30th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV

On Jul 23, 5:29 pm, Matt Liebsch wrote:
Ok you east metro skiers, I need to find an uphill with at least 5min
of sustained climbing (doesn't need to be super steep, but lower
traffic and the ability to ski back down is a plus), because there is
nothing over on the Westside of the metro greater than 2.5min. I am
hoping to find something a little closer than Afton, maybe in St. Paul
or nearby. Ahvo mentioned something to me about uphill near 61? Any
recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

You and me both!

What about the little downhill area in Bloomington...Hyland? It is
open to cross country from like 7am to 9am. It can get busy on
saturdays when there is no snow elsewhere.

Have you tried all of the hilly trails at Quaking Bog at Theodore
Wirth?

A ways off but might be worth it once a month. Trollhaugen's
Bjorkdahl is ok to ski up as long as you buy a downhill pass and maybe
talk to Rollie. 300 feet of elevation I believe and skiable down in
cross country gear (half metal edges for me).

Post back if you find some other hills.

Ed V.

Old July 31st 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV

EdV wrote:
[...]

Ed V.- Hide quoted text -

ah!

Old July 31st 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Matt Liebsch

EdV wrote:
[...]

ah!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the info for the colder months, I do utilize all the places
you mentioned once winter arrives. I did make the trip out to Afton
on Sunday, 90min+ total drive time, but the hills are worth it. Still
searching...

Old August 2nd 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

On Jul 23, 5:29 pm, Matt Liebsch wrote:
Ok you east metro skiers, I need to find an uphill with at least 5min
of sustained climbing (doesn't need to be super steep, but lower
traffic and the ability to ski back down is a plus), because there is
nothing over on the Westside of the metro greater than 2.5min. I am
hoping to find something a little closer than Afton, maybe in St. Paul
or nearby. Ahvo mentioned something to me about uphill near 61? Any
recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not sure the hills are steep enough for a real skier like Matt,
but for a plodder like me, some of the rolling roads here in
Northfield, about 45 minutes south of St. Paul, are pretty good, and
maybe worth a trip to try. I particularly like the hill that starts at
Kane Avenue and 90th Street E. (a.k.a. Wall Street Road), east of
town, and heads west; it's about a ten-minute DP for me, with pitches
at the end that might be a five-minute ride. Here it is in Google Maps
(I hope):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...f4dd2aba83db69

The caveat is that I've never skied Afton, so this hill (and the
others on this road, heading west toward Northfield) might be
worthless, comparatively.

Old August 2nd 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"tassava" skrev i melding
oups.com...
[...]

If there are lack of uphills, you might try to a workout against the wind on a
windy day.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old August 3rd 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Richard Anderson

I have been roller skiing on the trail in Maple Grove that runs from Fish
Lake Park to Elm Creek Park. It's 7.5 miles long. There are a couple of
good hills. The hill that brings you out of the wetland up to Vicksburg
Lane takes me about 5 minutes. It's not entirely uphill, there is a short
flat and slightly downhill section before it starts up again. Also it's not
real steep. There is also a good hill coming out of Fish Lake Park and
another starting after the tunnel under 94 that goes up to the water tower.
I think these hills are as good as any in the Maple Grove/Plymouth area and
it's a great roller ski trail.
Dixon Jones

=
ups.com...

Old August 3rd 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Matt Liebsch

On Aug 2, 7:29 pm, "Richard Anderson" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the good info. I was recommended Ohio St in St. Paul
but one would need a ride back down to start the next interval.