Speed Cameras in France

Old March 25th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Snorer

Default Speed Cameras in France

Just returned from a short trip to Chamonix and I'm sure I was caught by the
speed camera just as you leave Switzerland onto the French motorway. Does
anybody have any experience of being caught this way. What are the fines and
how do the Car hire companies handle this, do the impose a surcharge?. I
rented from Sixt at Geneva.

Thanks, Peter

Old March 26th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

"Snorer" wrote in message
Just returned from a short trip to Chamonix and I'm sure I was caught by
the speed camera just as you leave Switzerland onto the French motorway.
Does anybody have any experience of being caught this way. What are the
fines and how do the Car hire companies handle this, do the impose a
surcharge?. I rented from Sixt at Geneva.

You need to read the T&C of the hire contract. - I doubt that it is good
news :-(

--
Michael Chare

Old March 26th 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 01:03:59 +0100, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

"Snorer" wrote in message
Just returned from a short trip to Chamonix and I'm sure I was caught by
the speed camera just as you leave Switzerland onto the French motorway.
Does anybody have any experience of being caught this way. What are the
fines and how do the Car hire companies handle this, do the impose a
surcharge?. I rented from Sixt at Geneva.

You need to read the T&C of the hire contract. - I doubt that it is good
news :-(

I imagine it'll be the same as in the US or UK. They simply charge it
to your credit card, which they've already got authorisation to do in
the contract you had with them. I've had this happen in the UK and I
imagine it's pretty much the norml elsewhere.

The only saving grace will be if you'd hired the car in Switzerland.
The French system does not chase foreign-registered vehicles for
traffic offences, despite the legal agreements for them to do so being
in place. I last tested this only a few months ago, getting flashed
more than once in my Swiss-plated car on a French road near where I
live.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 26th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Snorer

Thanks Ace, that should be good news. Another good reason for hiring from
the Swiss side at Geneva.

Read some of your exploits recently. hope you are recovering well.

Snorer.

"Ace" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 01:03:59 +0100, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

"Snorer" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the
Ski Club.

Old March 27th 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:43:14 +0100, "Snorer"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .

The French system does not chase foreign-registered vehicles for
traffic offences, despite the legal agreements for them to do so being
in place. I last tested this only a few months ago, getting flashed
more than once in my Swiss-plated car on a French road near where I
live.

Thanks Ace, that should be good news. Another good reason for hiring from
the Swiss side at Geneva.

But don't quote me. It's quite possible that different regions work
differently.

Read some of your exploits recently. hope you are recovering well.

Pretty good, thanks. A couple of full-on powder days in Engelberg at
the weekend completely exhausted me, so I still need to do a lot of
work on my fitness, and I've got to wait until June until they'll
remove the metal pins from my back and I can see if the pain will go
away. I'm still hoping for a 100% recovery, though.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Old May 20th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
funkraum[_2_]

Ace wrote:

The only saving grace will be if you'd hired the car in Switzerland.
The French system does not chase foreign-registered vehicles for
traffic offences, despite the legal agreements for them to do so being
in place. I last tested this only a few months ago, getting flashed
more than once in my Swiss-plated car on a French road near where I
live.

Confirm this.

Have found that non-EU foreign registered vehicle with Arabic plates
works best of you are planning really serious work-outs.