Purchasing Ski Resorts

Old November 23rd 03, 08:31 PM
C.O.Jones

Default Purchasing Ski Resorts

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:44:29 +0100, David Off
wrote:

J-Ph wrote:
The Savoie department being a local community ("collectivité locale") is
not part of the French state, even though it is part of France.

Certes, depuis la reforme de la decentralisation de 1982, les
collectivites locales ont acquis une certaine forme d'independance par
rapport a l'Etat francais mais font toujours partie de la France.

What a brilliant example of the spirit of this group!

(ref recent debates about the formation of a uk. hierarchy skiing
group)

A (presumably) Frenchman writing in english about French
constitutional matters and an Englishman responding in french
explaining recent changes in arrangements.between national and local
government.

Magnifique! (well it amused me)

ernest

Old November 23rd 03, 09:29 PM
J-Ph

"David Off" a écrit dans le message news:

Certes, depuis la reforme de la decentralisation de 1982, les
collectivites locales ont acquis une certaine forme d'independance par
rapport a l'Etat francais mais font toujours partie de la France.
D'ailleurs, par exemple, le Prefet de chaque departement peut exercer
diverses formes de controle sur les maires.

Pour en revenir a la question et a ce que je disais, est-ce que la
commune de St Bon et le departement de Savoie pourraient vendre la
station de Courchevel 1850 a un bussinessman sans demander l'aval du
conseil general?

[broken English below]
Ben non, puisque "décision du département de Savoie" = "décision du conseil
général de Savoie" (ne pas confondre avec la préfecture, qui est en quelque
sorte la représentation de l'Etat dans le département).

Je peux t'assurer que le 1er ministre, par
l'intermediaire de son representant dans le departement, le Prefet,
serait amene a donner son avis sur la question.

En l'occurrence, le rôle du préfet est essentiellement de contrôler la
légalité des décisions des collectivités :
http://www.dgcl.interieur.gouv.fr/Or...on%20territori
ale/Control_legal_orga_territ.html

Autrement dit, si la décision du département est légale et qu'elle relève de
son niveau de compétence, l'état n'a aucun moyen de s'y opposer.

In a way, you're still true : if the departement wants to do something it is
entitled to do, and the state really wants to prevent it from doing it, we
can imagine the state doing everything it can to achieve its goal (and the
state still has means of applying pressure), but that doesn't change
anything from a legal point of view.

A few years ago, the Vienne departement decided to sell a large and famous
theme park it had built ; I don't think the state played any role. Maybe it
would be the same with the ski-lifts in Courchevel.

JPh

Old November 24th 03, 01:07 PM
David Off

"J-Ph" wrote in message ...
snip

I've noted what you had to say.

A few years ago, the Vienne departement decided to sell a large and famous
theme park it had built ; I don't think the state played any role. Maybe it
would be the same with the ski-lifts in Courchevel.

Well I hope this isn't the case, although why someone shouldn't be
able to buy Courchevel's lifts if the Department wishes to sell them I
don't know. I just don't think the man in question is a particuarly
savory character myself.

That said, Courchevel ending in Russian hands would be a suitable
epitaph for the broken dreams of Laurant Chappis. At least it is not
the CdA :-)
Old December 19th 03, 11:16 AM
Tommy Petersson

Sue wrote in
:

Which would you say is the ugliest carbuncle in the Alps?

Les Menuires, without a doubt...

/Tommy

Old December 19th 03, 11:46 AM
PG

"Tommy Petersson" wrote in message
. 1.4...
| Sue wrote in
| :
|
| Which would you say is the ugliest carbuncle in the Alps?
|
| Les Menuires, without a doubt...

Les Menuires has got nothing on Superdevoluy......

Pete

Old December 19th 03, 12:56 PM
funkraum

(Carl_M) wrote:

Abramovich could ensure his immortality, indeed sainthood, by
purchasing resorts such as Val Thorens, Les Arc and Tignes and then
blowing them off the face of the earth.

Wouldn't make him a saint in my book (especially if he did it while I
was there). While the abve resorts are not examples of the finest
archetechture they offer excellent skiing right on the doorstep. No
purpose built resort is dripping in alpine charm and while an
improvement could be made if they were starting from scratch no doubt
the prices would be increased to cover all the building costs
(assuming the op wants them to be rebuilt).

I go on skiing holidays to ski not to admire the buildings let them
be.

PP The concrete carbuncles appreciation society

Nowwadeaminute. . . .
. . . . a flame-war is an ugly thing .....
....UNT I TZINK ITS TIME VEEE HAD VON !!!!!!!

To paraphrase the late great Mr Bridger,

"You must learn, Meade, that there are more important things than
cheap accommodation for skiers."

After the advent of Christianity and the subsequent wholesale
destruction of the artistic works of the 'Pagan' religions leaving
only the remnants we know as 'classicism', the French
Stalinist-Brutalist architectural invasion of Alps is the
second-largest aesthetic disaster ever to befall mankind.

Can you imagine Wordsworth, Whymper, Goethe, cresting a ridge and
leaning on their staff to behold ........ Flaine ?? Christ on a
motorbike - they would probably roll about in the snow in convulsions
before death mercifully overtook them.

Kill another man and that is murder. Kill hundreds and that is mass
murder. But committing acts which offend the senses of not just those
present at the time but all future generations is a crime against
civilisation itself and needs to be treated accordingly.

Las Vegas knows what to do with its old hotels and I suggest those
French Alpine resorts afflicted follow suite.

Old December 19th 03, 05:31 PM
Tommy Petersson

"PG" wrote in news:brurv5$7m1gs$1@ID-
146837.news.uni-berlin.de:
"Tommy Petersson" wrote in message
. 1.4...
| Sue wrote in
| :
|
| Which would you say is the ugliest carbuncle in the Alps?
|
| Les Menuires, without a doubt...

Les Menuires has got nothing on Superdevoluy......

Pete

Where's that?

/Tommy
Old December 19th 03, 06:02 PM
PG

"Tommy Petersson" wrote in message
. 1.4...
| "PG" wrote in news:brurv5$7m1gs$1@ID-
| 146837.news.uni-berlin.de:
| "Tommy Petersson" wrote in message
| . 1.4...
| | Sue wrote in
| | :
| |
| | Which would you say is the ugliest carbuncle in the Alps?
| |
| | Les Menuires, without a doubt...
|
| Les Menuires has got nothing on Superdevoluy......

| Where's that?

A line of huge ugly 60s delapidated skyscrapers, a low altitude (1400)
resort in the southern French Alps. Difference between SuperD and
Menuires? Money mainly.

Pete

Old December 20th 03, 01:46 PM
Sue

In message , funkraum
writes

Las Vegas knows what to do with its old hotels and I suggest those
French Alpine resorts afflicted follow suite.

Having lately seen Cervinia, I'd like to propose an extra Concrete
Carbuncle award for the resort with the greatest density of disused
cable stations.
Surely there must be some way of removing them?
--
Sue ];(
Old December 22nd 03, 09:00 AM
acey

funkraum wrote in
:

[...]

(Not to want to propigate a flamewar, but...)

I personally think it works quite well - it's nice enough (and practical)
when you're in the resort, and looking down on it from the mountains it
integrates with the surroundings quite nicely (more so than the twee
mock-Nordic chalets further up in the Hameau de Flaine).

AC.

P.S. BMW obviously like it aswell - the 3 series TV ad with the bloke
having his medical!

Nearest resorts to european airports? copek Snowboarding 4 March 26th 04 10:47 AM
Resorts Aly General 0 December 4th 03 11:15 AM
Any glacier resorts close to Turin - plus tips for boots for Snowboard touring due to fire!!! WeatherCam European Ski Resorts 9 November 28th 03 12:37 PM
New E-paper about mountains transports and ski resorts Ssimonfr European Ski Resorts 0 November 1st 03 04:26 PM
Spanish resorts? Iñigo European Ski Resorts 2 October 9th 03 09:42 PM