ski recommendations

Old April 5th 06, 04:25 PM

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. com...

Be sure to use a good bootfitter, who will only be found at a shop near
major ski slopes, NOT in a city or a sports shop. Fitting ski boots is
highly technical. If you tell us where you ski someone might know a good
bootfitter.

He said he skis at Windham Mountain, NY with his son, it is also near Hunter
Mountain, NY.
Finding a good boot fitter is not as easy as it seems to be. Many of the
people at ski shops that sell
ski boots are not boot fitters even though some may claim to be.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old April 6th 06, 12:49 AM

Once again, thanks for all the info and advice. Anyway, a bootfitter around
Albany would work fine. I get there often. As a matter of fact, I stopped at
a ski shop in Albany today just to brouse. Windham, Hunter, these are all
reasonably close by. If anyone knows a boot magician nearby (hell, even
southern Vermont is a possibility..or western Mass.) I'd make the trek
sometime before next season.
Best,
Tom G

Old April 6th 06, 01:14 AM

On 2006-04-06, lal_truckee penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
I've never had comfortable ski boots.

Comfort in shoes is NOT the same as "comfort" in ski boots; the same
word probably shouldn't even be used.

Right, and when talking to a brand spankin' new skier, I was trying to
be clear that comfortable (in the sense he's used to) isn't
necessarily the goal.

You could probably benefit from finding a better boot fitter.

I was just trying to establish that some people need to choose their
boots carefully and get them fit, while others can buy 'em off the
rack and be happy. Don't worry about my boots.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old April 6th 06, 02:13 AM

"DrTom" wrote in message
Once again, thanks for all the info and advice. Anyway, a bootfitter
around Albany would work fine. I get there often. As a matter of fact, I
stopped at a ski shop in Albany today just to brouse. Windham, Hunter,
these are all reasonably close by. If anyone knows a boot magician nearby
(hell, even southern Vermont is a possibility..or western Mass.) I'd make
the trek sometime before next season.
Best,
Tom G

Tom, sometimes it takes several visit to a boot fitter to get all the hot
spots worked out. It isn't normally a one time deal to get the fit
corrected.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old April 6th 06, 02:51 AM

DrTom wrote:
Once again, thanks for all the info and advice. Anyway, a bootfitter around
Albany would work fine. I get there often. As a matter of fact, I stopped at
a ski shop in Albany today just to brouse. Windham, Hunter, these are all
reasonably close by. If anyone knows a boot magician nearby (hell, even
southern Vermont is a possibility..or western Mass.) I'd make the trek
sometime before next season.
Best,
Tom G

Green Mountain Orthotics is S.Vt. at Stratton.

Good professional ski shops around Mt Snow would
be Equippe and Sports Odyssey.

Old April 6th 06, 05:25 AM

DrTom wrote:

Once again, thanks for all the info and advice. Anyway, a bootfitter around
Albany would work fine. I get there often. As a matter of fact, I stopped at
a ski shop in Albany today just to brouse. Windham, Hunter, these are all
reasonably close by. If anyone knows a boot magician nearby (hell, even
southern Vermont is a possibility..or western Mass.) I'd make the trek
sometime before next season.
Best,
Tom G

Steve French at The Sports People on route 202 in Far Hills, NJ
908-234-2232 is an excellent boot fitter.

Janet

p.s. they are also a decent bike shop and fly fishing shop - you can't
make a living just doing ski stuff in NJ... ;-)