first double black!

Old February 13th 04, 11:23 PM
Alex Heney

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:48:32 CST, lal_truckee
wrote:

pigo wrote:
"Traveler" wrote in message

What's a "reverse camber turn"? What would a plain "camber turn" be?

susqehanna was my favorite. It has a nice reverse camber turn, and the
lift it drops you off at was never crowded any time I skied there.

Used to be that when you set a ski on a flat surface, the tip and tail would
be touching and the area of the binding would be up off of the surface an
inch or so. That's camber. Also used to be that to turn you would step on
the ski in a way to bend it in the other direction and ride that arc. That
is reverse camber.

That's a very simplified version. A snowplow turn is about as close as you
could get to your "plain camber" turn I think. But you still flatten a ski
by standing on it.

SOunds like in some parts of the country they've tried to transfer
"camber" to slope shape features. So "compressions" and fall-aways now
have "new" names.

It has always been a normal term when applied to roads (and motor race
tracks).

As others have said, a "reverse camber" bend is one which slopes down
towards the outside of the bend.

"transferring" the term to any sort of track or trail would seem
perfectly normal to me.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Famous last words - Icarus: Aaaahhhhhhhhh.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom

Old February 13th 04, 11:30 PM
Alex Heney

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:31:14 CST, The Real Bev
wrote:

MattB wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

SOunds like in some parts of the country they've tried to transfer
"camber" to slope shape features. So "compressions" and fall-aways now
have "new" names.

I guess you're referring to my comments. I'm taking this terminology from
mountain biking, which may not really apply here (but I suspect maybe it
does). In the MTB world that's a pretty commonly used term for that type of
feature.

OK, "off-camber" (also a dirt motorcycling phrase) means "fallaway,"
right? So what's a compression? A normally-banked turn?

Nothing to do with a bend. AIUI, a compression is a short upturn in
the downslope (makes you feel like you are being compressed into the
surface if taken at speed).

Old February 14th 04, 02:04 AM
lal_truckee

wrote:

pigo wrote:

"Traveler" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe. Howevere, I don't think I've ever encountered it in ski racing.

Someday I may share what the boy's coaches named various turns of
particularly serious downhill courses when they were trying to get a
bunch of hormonally challenged teenage boys to pay enough attention to
live through the run.

But not publically.

Old February 14th 04, 04:59 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-12, Chuck penned:
"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in
:

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that Seven Springs, Blue
Knob, and Hidden Valley, not to mention Roundtop and Ski Liberty, are
all in PA, but they certainly aren't all the same in terms of
difficulty.

(Minuteman at Roundtop was my first ever blue.)

Sounds like you skied mostly in central PA, Harrisburg area.

I suppose. Stuff that's within driving distance of northern Virginia.

I've skied several times at Roundtop and know the trail you're
referring to well. It was also my wife's first blue (last year). I
think after skiing at Bretton Woods NH, the blues in PA didn't look
quite as difficult to her any more. Of the trails I skied at Roundtop,
I think susqehanna was my favorite. It has a nice reverse camber
turn, and the lift it drops you off at was never crowded any time I
skied there.

I don't recall that run. I only skied Roundtop a couple of times as a
very beginner, so it's likely I never skied the run.

That's why I usually go to Blue Mountain in the southern end of the
Poconos. It has the most vertical (1080ft) in PA, has several trails
over a mile long, and is only about 75 minutes from home.

That's a nice combo. I can't realistically get to a resort in 75
minutes, when you consider the traffic.

Okay, I lie. I could try Eldora, which supposedly is less than an hour
from my house ... but I haven't been there yet.

--
monique

Old February 15th 04, 12:03 AM
F. Plant

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
snip

I always just take the velcro straps on my boots, slap 'em together, and
put them over my shoulder. Instant "carrying device"! snip

Just a word of warning, if the power straps thread through the liner cuff,
its possible to tear the liner depending on liner construction -as my wife
found out. Luckily it was noticed before it got too far.

F. Plant

Old February 15th 04, 12:13 AM
F. Plant

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
snip

That sounds kinda useful, even in non-back country situations. I
remember this black groomer at Solitude where I fell ... and kept
falling ... and tried to dig in with my pole ... and kept falling ...
and lost my poles ...

snip

If you can keep your wits about you in midst yard sale, a good way to help
slow yourself is to grap the shaft above the basket and jam the tip into the
surface. You get good leverage this way, but it also assumes you still have
poles. If you don't ski trees you can tighten your straps and have a good
chance of keeping your poles -but if you ski trees a good chance of doing
something nasty to your arm.

F. Plant

Old February 15th 04, 01:04 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-15, F. Plant penned:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
... snip

I always just take the velcro straps on my boots, slap 'em together,
and put them over my shoulder. Instant "carrying device"! snip

Just a word of warning, if the power straps thread through the liner
cuff, its possible to tear the liner depending on liner construction
-as my wife found out. Luckily it was noticed before it got too far.

F. Plant

Interesting. I haven't noticed any tearing, but I'll keep my eye out.
Thanks for the warning.

--
monique

Old February 15th 04, 01:04 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-15, F. Plant penned:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
... snip

That sounds kinda useful, even in non-back country situations. I
remember this black groomer at Solitude where I fell ... and kept
falling ... and tried to dig in with my pole ... and kept falling ...
and lost my poles ...

snip

If you can keep your wits about you in midst yard sale, a good way to
help slow yourself is to grap the shaft above the basket and jam the
tip into the surface. You get good leverage this way, but it also
assumes you still have poles. If you don't ski trees you can tighten
your straps and have a good chance of keeping your poles -but if you
ski trees a good chance of doing something nasty to your arm.

F. Plant

But if you have the straps on, it seems like it would take quite an
effort of coordination -- or quite an incredibly long fall -- to manage
to remove the straps and slide your hand down to right above the basket.

Me, I don't use the straps, and now I've apparently been punished for
this -- the strap connector thingie on one of my poles broke off. I've
been wanting new poles, well, ever since I got these, but they refuse to
break. Ah well -- at least no one in their right mind would ever steal
'em.

-- monique

Old February 15th 04, 01:48 AM
The Real Bev

On 2004-02-15, F. Plant penned:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote:

That sounds kinda useful, even in non-back country situations. I
remember this black groomer at Solitude where I fell ... and kept
falling ... and tried to dig in with my pole ... and kept falling ...
and lost my poles ...

If you can keep your wits about you in midst yard sale, a good way to
help slow yourself is to grap the shaft above the basket and jam the
tip into the surface. You get good leverage this way, but it also
assumes you still have poles. If you don't ski trees you can tighten
your straps and have a good chance of keeping your poles -but if you
ski trees a good chance of doing something nasty to your arm.

But if you have the straps on, it seems like it would take quite an
effort of coordination -- or quite an incredibly long fall -- to manage
to remove the straps and slide your hand down to right above the basket.

You hold the right one at the handgrip. You let go of the left one
(which will obligingly trail along behind you) and grab just above the
basket with your left hand. Or the other way around, if that would work
better.

Me, I don't use the straps, and now I've apparently been punished for
this -- the strap connector thingie on one of my poles broke off. I've
been wanting new poles, well, ever since I got these, but they refuse to
break. Ah well -- at least no one in their right mind would ever steal
'em.

If you don't use the straps anyway, no loss.

I fished a nice Goode pole out of the trash -- the owner had broken the
other one. If I keep looking, sooner or later I'll find a matching
pole. Just because that hasn't worked for gloves...

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 15th 04, 06:25 PM
F. Plant

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
snip

But if you have the straps on, it seems like it would take quite an
effort of coordination -- or quite an incredibly long fall -- to manage
to remove the straps and slide your hand down to right above the basket.

As bev states in followup

Me, I don't use the straps, and now I've apparently been punished for
this -- the strap connector thingie on one of my poles broke off. I've
been wanting new poles, well, ever since I got these, but they refuse to
break. Ah well -- at least no one in their right mind would ever steal
'em.

I find I get much more control with using tight straps -worn under the palm
to support the hand. Also easier to hold and to flick forward. Feel naked
without them, and its also less to pick up after a yard sale. If you are
worried of catching a branch you can get poles w. detachable staps. I've
got Goode poles w. this feature and they also have a lock on top if you
don't want them to detach.

F. Plant